mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Why a setback seat post?

Why do the Specialized Stumpy bikes with the brain shock also use a setback seatpost? Is it a geometry thing that a setback seatpost needs to be used along with the brain shock or it really doesn't matter? I hope this isn't a stupid question..

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

seatpost

I'm not sure why they have the setback seatpost. I bought one for my stumpy because I felt just a little cramped up front and felt that sitting back just a bit will open up my reach on the handle bars. One reason I think most people want a setback seat post is it may give you better stability on the down hill sections because your center of mass is further back. I hope this helps.

Walter.

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy
    Why do the Specialized Stumpy bikes with the brain shock also use a setback seatpost? Is it a geometry thing that a setback seatpost needs to be used along with the brain shock or it really doesn't matter? I hope this isn't a stupid question..

Salsa Shark
    I think they just have it set there because a lot of people like it there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by koalawally
    I'm not sure why they have the setback seatpost. I bought one for my stumpy because I felt just a little cramped up front and felt that sitting back just a bit will open up my reach on the handle bars. One reason I think most people want a setback seat post is it may give you better stability on the down hill sections because your center of mass is further back. I hope this helps.

Walter.
    I thought a setback seat post left you in the exact same position? (the change is at the mounting thingy otherwise)

mtbr member
    I guess you are referring to the Stumpy Pro and S-works, which get the Thomson setback post ...

All the lower Stumpys use Specialized posts, whose heads are actually a bit back from their shafts already. Thomson posts' heads are directly centered over the shaft. So, spec'ing the bikes with the Thomson setback is if nothing else a way of putting the saddle in the same place as on the rest of the Stumpys. In other words, if the Pro and S-works didn't use the offset posts, the saddle would have a different adjustable range than that of the Expert, Comp, etc. This way the geometry stays closer to the same across the range.

If you look on the seatposts' parts page, they say that their post has a "layback style" head. I haven't measured it, but my guess is that using offset Thomsons puts the head in the same place.

As for why they all have a setback of some sort ... probably a geometry thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy