Thread: Why E150's?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Why E150's?

So although I'm still "Noob" status, I've learned an immense amount over the past six months especially about the 07' Spec. Enduro SL I picked up, but one thing I'm still a little confused about is why Spec. used a dual crown fork which seems to be more DH oriented on the Enduro which doesn't seem to really be considered a hardcore DH bike?

And no one ever really recommends another dual crown fork to replace it when they make upgrade suggestions, It's always a single crown?

Is there a dual crown "upgrade" to the E150 that might have some more adjustability or is a single crown really the only quality alternative if you didn't like the E150? I see they went back to a single crown on the newer Spec's...was the E150 kind of a mistake? I read and understand why they stopped manufacturing it themselves but I would have thought they would have kept a dual crown on the newer frames if they were a good choice.

I also see posts warning not to put a dual crown on the newer Spec. frames for fear of stress on the frame but DO recommend a single crown on the older frames that came with a dual crown? So frame geometry goes one way but not the other? Little confused.

mtbr member
    The E150 was the only dual crown fork really built for trail riding. It was super stiff because of the dual crown and over-sized front axle. Shitty manufacturing just kinda killed it the first couple years it was in production. The dual crown idea was abandoned by specialized because you could make a much lighter fork if it was single crown and they got their stiffness by going to a tapered 1.5 to 1.125 steerer on all of their new forks. Nobody recommends a dual crown upgrade because there isn't one out there that isn't a full on DH fork and you don't want an eight inch fork on an enduro. If you could somehow find a 6 inch dual crown fork, it would be structurally fine on your bike, but i'm not aware of any that you would actually want to buy. To clarify, there is nothing inherent in a dual crown fork system that puts more stress on your frame, it is just that dual crown forks typically have much more travel and a longer fork will put much more stress on your frame. Single crown forks are really you're only option for upgrade, but don't worry, they will work sick on your bike and you will likely notice a performance upgrade not downgrade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    There were issues with some of the earlier examples.Nowhere near the issues of the the 2009/10 Lyrik 2-step but as it was a Specialized in-house fork the mags slated it.If you get a good one that works(as mine has for nearly 3 years)NOTHING comes close in the 150mm travel range.Boxxers are about the only upgrade but they're too much for a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thank you so much for clarifying.

mtbr member
    That's why I said "there isn't one someone would actually want to buy" instead of there "isn't one". haha

Members who have read this thread: 0