Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Why do people hate Specialized

Not trying to start anything, because I do own a few specialized bikes, but on various forums you always see hate for specialized. Now I was hot and heavy into cycling in the mid 90's- early 2k's then with wife, kids, career etc. I road about as much as I golfed. Anyways I have came back to my first love over the last few years and lost a decade + of cycling trends stories etc. I also noticed that Specialized had gotten huge during that time.

Is it just that they got huge or did they knock of a bunch of old peoples houses for a new manufacturing facility etc.

Just curious

FKA Malibu412
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    ok that link was strange, gees, I didn't think that was a googleable topic.

Thanks

I did how every do a quick search here and didn't come up with a quick answer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Ok the more I researched it the dumber it got. Which is about what I figured the answer would be.

. UGLY
    . Price point
    . evil
    . etc
    . Stuck Up owners

Nothing really accept a legal battle over a name, which the same thing kinda happened with them. Carve - Crave

mtbr member
    I have gotten several Spesh hate replys here for having a HardRock. I bought it new in 2013 after a 15yr, "family man" brake from MTB riding with all my good time buddies.

So I asked around why all the hate and it seems the guy that started it burnt some bridges along the way. Started making frames in China. a few law suites were slapped on other folks in the biz and that is about the gist of what I spent time gathering.

I have no clue what motivates the few members that openly bash on any one brand so I just ignore it and have TONS of fun riding my Hardrock.
    My riding has started exceeding the parts on my frame as I'm totally hooked again, so I am upgrading as I break and wear the "entry level" parts and loving every minute of it.
    Isn't that why we ride?
    For me...brand loyalty stops at the trail head! Lets RIDE!!!!!!!!

.025c
    Burt
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It's best to not think much about it. You'll have brand hate all over the place, especially with Specialized. Personally, I like the 2 Specialized bikes I own and have fun riding them. That's really all I care about.

mtbr member
    bottom line is specialized stuff is good and they take care of you right away when stuff happens. let the hate roll and keep riding your awesome bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Doesn't make a difference what brand you like, someone wil dislike it for one reason or another. Opinions are like .............

Personally, I have had Specialized, Haro, Trek and Cannondale bikes. Liked all of them for one reason or another. I buy what I want and don't really pay any mind to what someone else's opinion is of it. To each his/her own.

SM

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Their motto: Innovate or Die

What have they innovated lately? So far they've been followers (not that there is anything wrong with that). They jumped on the 29, 650b, fat bike bandwagons after other small players started it. No innovation there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just like people hate Apple I guess. They are a big corporate company and some people hate that, rather spend $100 buying hemp t shirts and feeling better. I love Specialized (own a Rockhopper for long time), however, I believe their prices are a tad too high over their competitors, e.g., you can get an SLX level Trek Superfly or Niner Air 9 for the same amount you'd get a Deore Spesh bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post

What have they innovated lately?
    Specialized Bicycle Components

In reality the only other "bicycle" company that I can see that is as almost as innovative at Specialized has got to be Cannondale

Innovation

However it still comes down to the rider/engine on the bike not what gee-wiz doohickey is hot this year.

Some of us have moved past the boutique bike phase and just want something that is going to work in the most efficient manner getting us down the trail or road not what has the neat-o' trail head factor mystique.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I see them as innovative. I mean the bicycle has been around for a long time and if it varies too much it is no longer a bicycle. I see Innovation as perfecting and tweaking. Can I take a bike down said trail a lot faster today than I could 20 years ago with all things being equal except the bike? Well of course, same goes for climbing. I still own my first FS mtn bike (it was hung up as a frame for 15 years) and I put it back together to have a "yard" bike to play with the kids on. Almost every time I get on it I can't believe I used to ride trails with this thing, and liked it. Handle bars narrow, long stem, horrible sus. ( I just about had all original parts except wheels and handle bars).

I learned not to knock people or companies that complain about a few grams there or flex here etc. Companies figure those issues out on top end bikes and trickle that stuff down over time. If not we all be riding Huffy and Ross bikes.

mtbr member
    The people I sometimes ride with rave about spec bikes... They just can't afford them ^^

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad ™
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Their motto: Innovate or Die

What have they innovated lately? So far they've been followers (not that there is anything wrong with that). They jumped on the 29, 650b, fat bike bandwagons after other small players started it. No innovation there.
    The first 150mm+ 29".
    Direct mount shock, no rear DU so lower friction more durable.
    SWAT.
    Cheap tires that work.
    Tubeless rim plugs.

Just off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    The first 150mm+ 29".
    Direct mount shock, no rear DU so lower friction more durable.
    SWAT.
    Cheap tires that work.
    Tubeless rim plugs.

Just off the top of my head.
    Pretty innovative I see.

mtbr member
    Small brands are cool. When they become large, they become hated.

Here's some bike industry hate for you:

Trek
    Why do we hate Trek?

Cannondale
    Cannondale, why the hate???

Giant
    Why no love and heaps of hate for Giant bikes?

...and that's just on this forum.

mtbr member
    There are haters... there are fanbois... which camp are your (anyone) feet in ^^

Sig:

Opinions are like A-holes... everybody has one & they're usually full of...??

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Also, in terms of innovation, I think the Epic was a bit of a game changer. It was the first squishy bit to be consider a real threat in term of cross country racing. Now, the Camber is considered one of the best 29 platforms in terms of an overall bike. The Enduro was widely praised for its chain stay shortening and playful nature.

But, like targnik said, it's all opinions. Telling someone that their bike is wrong is like telling someone their favorite color is wrong.

SM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie mac View Post
    But, like targnik said, it's all opinions. Telling someone that their bike is wrong is like telling someone their favorite color is wrong.
    Fuchsia is wrong. So is anything salmon-coloured.

mtbr member
    yeah what. specialized innovates more then anyone

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    their motto: Litigate or die.
    fify.

mtbr member
    I'm not a spesh hater or lover. There are things I don't like about their bikes and/or their business tactics, but the same could probably be said of most manufacturers if one looked hard enough.
    I'm not a huge fan of their bikes, but for me, it's mostly just about looks.
    Many of my friends ride speshy bikes, and I don't give them any grief for it. Don't get me wrong, we still ridicule each other about our choices in wheel size!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pretty innovative I see.
    I can't think of other innovative brands can you? Canyon is probably the only brand with a really innovative idea in the last year.

mtbr member

Re: Why do people hate Specialized

Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    I can't think of other innovative brands can you? Canyon is probably the only brand with a really innovative idea in the last year.
    Kona = short stems/chainstays, geo deciding travel, long front end... admittedly some fella named Gary may have helped, but Kona have blazed a new trail

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??

It's working!
    Why do people hate Specialized-9247501112_07bb5e64d2_z.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast