mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Why buy an sworks

Ok, i was looking for my next bike (yeah, itll be two years away but i gotta set a goal) and Specialized has their S-Works bikes that seem overpriced and overhyped for what you get. I cant see spending 2000 more for the word S-Works stickered on there. another question is does teh Demo 8 or 9 have more than one crank (or sproket or whatever) on its crankset? one is too little for trail + freeride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    why are you asking about the s-works. seems like you already made your decision. The $2000 buys you much more than a sticker with the word s-works on it. They are exquipped with better parts, and better frame materials, are usually lighter and stiffer.

For instance the S-Works epic vs the Epic Marathon disc.
    S-Works is $1700 more.
    Frame is M5 vs M4 aluminum
    all parts are XTR vs XT
    Crossmax wheels with the S-Works

Oh and you also get stickers that say S-Works on the bike.

mtbr member
    I got my S-works because I needed a frameset and that was all they sold. I'd rather have paid a few hundred less for the frame since I don't need an S-works. Of course, I certainly enjoy the frame and I think I can tell some of the differences but certainly none of the subtle ones. I don't regret getting it, but I suspect I wouldn't regret getting a regular frame either, had that been an option at the time.

They really are great bikes/frames. And if you get the built up bike you do get a top of the line parts pick and at a price point you probably can't match on other brand's top end bikes.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Don't let "S Works" be mis-guiding. The only thing "S Works" about 2004 and previous has been the material the DOWN TUBE was made from. Yep, you read that right, only the down tube (on mountain bikes,anyway). I don't know about the 2005 and beyond though. I bet with some real careful reading on specialized.com, you will find out. I've owned one Sworks, and three that weren't, and there is NO difference that I notice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1973
    Don't let "S Works" be mis-guiding. The only thing "S Works" about 2004 and previous has been the material the DOWN TUBE was made from. Yep, you read that right, only the down tube (on mountain bikes,anyway). I don't know about the 2005 and beyond though. I bet with some real careful reading on specialized.com, you will find out. I've owned one Sworks, and three that weren't, and there is NO difference that I notice.
    Sorry, thats a bit misleading, which is a nice way of saying wrong. True on some of the bikes the only FRAME difference was the downtube. For example the 2004 S-Works hardtail frame vs 2004 Stumpjumper frame the main difference was a M5 downtube, rest was M4. But there were titanium bolts and brake bosses on the S-Works. Bust most bikes there was a much bigger difference in frames.

Examples:
    2004-5 Epic vs S-Works epic. S-Works has adjustable IQ brain shock, most epics didn't. S-Works has carbon shock link, Epics don't. Also get alloy bolts etc.
    2002 and older frames, S-Works were handmade in the USA, not all others were.
    2002 and older FSRs, S-Works had better suspension pivot bearings
    S-Works frames across the board weigh considerably less.

I've also owned both, and espescially with the epics, i find the S-Works much stiffer in the rear and better handling.

I ride a Swarf
    cuz in the uk they are cheaper, lighter and have better warrenty than the boutiquw brands...for the sj 120 anyways.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    Sorry, thats a bit misleading, which is a nice way of saying wrong. True on some of the bikes the only FRAME difference was the downtube. For example the 2004 S-Works hardtail frame vs 2004 Stumpjumper frame the main difference was a M5 downtube, rest was M4. But there were titanium bolts and brake bosses on the S-Works. Bust most bikes there was a much bigger difference in frames.

Examples:
    2004-5 Epic vs S-Works epic. S-Works has adjustable IQ brain shock, most epics didn't. S-Works has carbon shock link, Epics don't. Also get alloy bolts etc.
    2002 and older frames, S-Works were handmade in the USA, not all others were.
    2002 and older FSRs, S-Works had better suspension pivot bearings
    S-Works frames across the board weigh considerably less.

I've also owned both, and espescially with the epics, i find the S-Works much stiffer in the rear and better handling.
    You're right...to a certain point. Ti bolts, wow, big difference. I had a 2002 sworks, the pivot bearings were not any different than the other crappy bearings of that year. I guess my main point was, it's hard to justify the extra layout of cash, cause you could get the "pro" version of the same bike without the price tag, with almost the same componentry.

Live 2 Ride
    Funny - I can't picture spending more than $500 on a new bike - some of use are poor you all know...
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

memorable member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    Funny - I can't picture spending more than $500 on a new bike - some of use are poor you all know...
    Yeah but your probably still young with a good back. So you dont need all the extra machinery anyway. That stuffs for us old guys.

Live 2 Ride
    I'll be 30 this August and my back is SHOT. Sorry - I just can't spend alot of money on bikes. Besides I bet when you pay big bucks on a rig your paying for a name.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1973
    with almost the same componentry.
    Almost? Hmmm, besides an XTR rear derailleur I really don't see much similarity component wise between the two. Maybe your referring to the grips?

mtbr member
    are you guys sure that theres only the downtube made from m5 alloy on the s-works frame? how do you guys know that? im dont doubt it, i just would like to make sure.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos
    are you guys sure that theres only the downtube made from m5 alloy on the s-works frame? how do you guys know that? im dont doubt it, i just would like to make sure.
    The entire frame is made from their M5 alloy. Some of you are confused about the downtube. The only similarity between the S-works frame and the M4 frames is the ORE downtube, which is the way the downtube's shape is designed for strength.
    Specialized Epic S Works - custom
    Trek XO-1Cyclocross - custom
    Rock Lobster SS- custom

memorable member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    I'll be 30 this August and my back is SHOT. Sorry - I just can't spend alot of money on bikes. Besides I bet when you pay big bucks on a rig your paying for a name.
    Whoops, sorry thought you were younger. I think its money well spent, especially when youve got a bad back. I can ride up to three times farther on the fs vs the hardtail.
    There are some very fast guys on inexpensive bikes though.