Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Why buy Specialized??

ooo
    Last edited by woogie11; 02-25-2008 at 03:04 PM.

mtbr member
    I bought a Spesh cause it's what my local dealer mainly carries and he's a good friend, so there wasn't anyway I was gonna buy a different bike from a different dealer. Plus I really like my new Pitch.

But I hear what you're saying about the AFR stuff, I wouldn't buy any of it, either.
    NKAWTG

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    The first mountain I ever bought was a Specialized when I was 14 years old in 1994. I bought a brand new Rockhopper with $420 I had saved up from mowing lawns during the summer. I've owned 3 more Specialized bikes since then...the latest being a 2007 S-Works Stumpy Carbon. I've never had a problem with any of them. I'll keep buying them until I have a serious problem.

..okay...so Specialized screwed up with this new fork. Give it a year and see if it gets better. I never buy anything the first year it's out anyway. You gotta let the bugs get worked out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Because I've ridden an 03 Epic since new and its never, ever let me down. So I've gone for an 08 sworks carbon Epic and heres hoping I get the same result....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I like their frames more than anyone else's. Well, the new Pivot's are pretty nice. I've been on a Specialized for the past 10 years, through bmx and all.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thankfully the AFR on my epic has never given a problem, my local bike shop only deals in specialized so i dont have much choice really, im in the market for a freeride bike now, ive got my eye on an SX 2, i was up in the next town the other day though in a sports shop and saw a kona coiler deluxe hanging up on the wall, nice bike, very tempting

"Its All Good"
    I hav eno doubt they are good bikes, I think they are way over priced for the spec etc. I mean up to 7K USD for a a S Works, you can build a handmade pure bling machine for that money, that is what always goes through my head....

I dont say this to Shiat stir at all, it is my opinion... Or do you think they are good value...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    I bought my 06 S-works stumpjumper fsr because the FSR rear suspension works great, the bike fits well, and I have a great shop that sells them 1.5 miles from my house.

mtbr member
    I have said this before, I won't buy another Specialized. I don't like the direction the company is taking their products. Specialized bikes come with an excellent lifetime warranty on an above average frame with unreliable proprietary parts. I like my LBS but I don't want to be in there every three months to have parts fixed, replaced, or sent off for service. I would also prefer to have upgrade paths available for new fork/shock technology.

I love my 06 Stumpy and have no complaints about it. It fits me well and works perfectly for my current riding style. But when this bike is toast, I will be looking at Turner, Niner, or Ventana for a custom build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You buy a Specialized if you like the bike, like the lifetime warranty (if they even still offer that), and like the fact they will be around 5 years from now.

Specialized makes good bikes, but they are getting expensive. $7500 for a bike is crazy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    You buy a Specialized if you like the bike, like the lifetime warranty (if they even still offer that), and like the fact they will be around 5 years from now.

Specialized makes good bikes, but they are getting expensive. $7500 for a bike is crazy.
    Well put! Especially the part about the prices. Hopefully the profit margins are big enough to ensure the shops make out very well.

mtbr member
    I've owned over 10 MTB bikes in the last 15 years, including 3 S-Works FSR's. My current is an '06 Stumpy FSR. Great bike, but it'll probably be my last Specialized for several reasons:

1. The price of the S-Works FSR has increased $3500 in 5 years, which is now $7400. My '02 was $3900 retail. I can now buy two very good bikes for the price of a new S-Works Stumpy, and I probably will.

2. As mentioned previously, I too am not a fan of their proprietary suspension choice. While it seems to work great, where do you go for parts if this line gets discontinued, like the FutureShock (re-branded RockShox) line did in the early-mid 90's? What about if you don't like your rear shock and want to swap it out?

3. Hey Specialized, 1994 called, they want their blue anodized parts back. While certain models aren't too bad, what's with all the multicolored anodized headsets, linkages, etc. on nearly every bike in the '08 line? Oh, and paint scheme of the entire FSR line, hideous! My bro-in-law bought one last year, and said if he had waited a year, he wouldn't have bought one b/c they look terrible.

4. Mixed parts spec. I don't mean to start a flame war here, but SRAM and Shimano on a $7400 bike? C'mon, pick a drivetrain, or offer both like the high-end road bikes. Personally, I liked the S-Works FSR's because they had (to me) the best of breed parts spec (XTR, Mavic, Thomson, Fox). They seem to have moved away from nearly all these brands in favor of their own label parts, or a mix of different vendors. I bet Magura gave them a nice deal on disc brakes this year in order to gain the contract, and they still increased the price on the bike.

So in summary, sorry Specialized. I've loved the bikes, but the part spec has been getting weirder, the prices higher, and the design choices poorer. I'm thinking in a year or so I'll be riding a different brand.

mtbr member
    Good question, to me it made sense when I wanted to upgrade and
    the closest LBS carried them,,,
    After 2 years, I'll never buy a Specialized again, and I'll never darken the doorstep to the LBS again either...
    Proprietary suspension is part of it, the customer service that a lot of people are raving about I've seen nothing of, and when I need a new bike I'll get a Turner, Titus or Chumba frame and build it up on my own.

Birthday Collector
    2006 Specialized had an awesome line and a decent, if not good value overall. 2007, that seemed to change with both proprietary parts and a change in the relationship with many dealers, etc... While I still believe that they build a nice bike, I am not too hip on the parts selection or build of their own suspension pieces. I think that there are a lot better buys out there for the money these days. While I still love my '05 Roubaix on the road, and have kept my '03 Enduro Pro in the quiver, I sort of doubt that I'll buy another Specialized again...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

"Its All Good"
    Being subjective here, many may think I am not, but I assure you I am... How do you put, paying 7400 USD for a common as bike etc, when for less money your could build a Ventana, Knolly or Nicolai, where by the quality I feel is far better... It just staggers me that such a mass produced bike can cost so much........ And before the flamers attack me, this isnt about snob value etc...

In the world of bikes, a 7400USD dollar frame is a super car comparison price... Would you pay Italian or German supercar prices for a Japanese super car, if indeed one exists.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    In the world of bikes, a 7400USD dollar frame is a super car comparison price... Would you pay Italian or German supercar prices for a Japanese super car, if indeed one exists.
    depends on the type of person you are. if you dont give a $hit, like some people I know, then, no, it wouldn't affect them at all if it were the same, if not better, quality. For me, I wouldn't.

I initially bought my specialized quite frankly because it had better parts and cost $600 less than a blt. What am I doing right now? Selling the spesh frame to buy an intense 5.5 frame. Why? I feel the vpp climbs alot more efficiently for me, and the size fits me a lot better. I love specialized for what they do, and their bikes below $2500 are worth it, but past that, I rather have something else other than specialized. Why? Personal pref; I'm also not dropping $100 on a pair of shoes that say skecthers. Materialistic, sure, but I am human... Then again, if the sworks rides way better than any titus or intense I've ridden, then I wouldn't care. Spesh marketing was also smart in instilling the sworks idea. It's not a specialized, it's an sworks. unlike the $6,000 trek, just... well, trek.

Huh?
    This is why I plan to build up a new Bionicon Super Shuttle... my 03 Enduro is great, but I'm getting tired of the company and their high prices myself

"Its All Good"
    These are both awesome cars............... Would you pay the same money for these cars? When you get honest, I very much doubt it...

Some will for sure, but the masses, no way.... No one would buy the Nissan if it was the same price as the 911, no way they would.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    well, thats not fair. ive always been a porsche fan...

see your point, but I think your still too quick to judge. One of the most important things I've learned in school for business/sales is that the people with the most money don't always need to flaunt it. Warren Buffet still lives in the same house since he was a kid in Omaha, NE. Now, sure, it's easy to assume that the guy with the porsche has more money, but does he really have money to put gas in it next week? My point is some people don't care if it has the porsche emblem or not, as long as it performs like a porsche, its fine. Then again, I can get a way sweeter build custom to what I want on an US made frame cheaper than an sworks stumpy, which I find ludicrous!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I must admit it's too bad to read this stuff, it really seems as though this company has really put themselves into a corner. I think another downside, which really effects me is re-sale value. Due to the reliabilty and QC issues resale has suffered on an enormous scale. I think Specialized's whole mentality of "let's get it to the market first" needs to take a back seat to to QC, R&D, and testing. I appreciate what you are all saying and will continue to follow this thread with much interest.

mtbr member

This is why I would never buy an sworks...

Model:
    Frame Intense 5.5 EVP Works 21.00 24.00 Disc 6.50lbs
    Fork Fox 32 Talas RLC Titanium 9mm 100-140mm 1832.00g
    Front Brake Avid Ultimate | Black | 185.00 380.00g
    Rear Brake Avid Ultimate | Black | 160.00 335.00g
    Shifter SRAM X.O. Trigger 225.00g
    Crank Shimano XTR Aluminum 175.00 22-32-44 786.00g
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Hollowtech II | CrMo
    Front Derailleur Shimano XTR M970 Top Swing
    Cassette Shimano XTR M970 | Steel/Titanium | 12-34 224.00g
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X.O | L 203.00g
    Chain SRAM PC-991
    Pedal Shimano M970 | Silver/Gray 325.00g
    Headset Chris King NoThread Set | Green 126.00g
    Stem Thomson X4 | Black | 100.00 | 10.00 166.00g
    Handlebar Easton EC90 XC SL Carbon Carbon Flat 99.00g
    Grip Oury Soft Grip | Black 125.00g
    Seatpost Thomson Elite Black 410mm 235.00g
    Saddle WTB Pure V Race | Black 355.00g
    Front Tire Kenda Nevegal UST | Black | Kevlar | 2.10 770.00g
    Rear Tire Kenda Nevegal UST | Black | Kevlar | 2.10 770.00g
    Front Hub Chris King Disc ISO Navy 32 148.00g
    Rear Hub Chris King Disc ISO Navy 32 277.00g
    Front Skewer Salsa Stainless flip-off | Black | Stainless steel 49.00g
    Rear Skewer Salsa Stainless flip-off | Black | Stainless steel 55.00g
    Front Rim Mavic XM 819 Disc | Black | 32 | UST 450.00g
    Rear Rim Mavic XM 819 Disc | Black | 32 | UST 450.00g
    Rim Tape Velox Cloth Rim Tape 7.50g
    Front RimTape Velox Cloth Rim Tape 15.00g
    Rear RimTape Velox Cloth Rim Tape 15.00g
    Front Spoke DT Swiss Competition 14/15g | Silver | 184.96g
    Rear Spoke DT Swiss Competition 14/15g | Silver | 184.96g
    Nipple DT Swiss Alloy | Silver 32.00g
    Bike Weight: 26.45lbs Bike Sub-Total: $5,773.08

Sub-Total: $5,773.08

http://www.wrenchscience.com/WSLogic...buildid=279384

This is a no-expense cash-is-not-an-object type build, and it still came out $1,000 less than the sworks complete with king wheels, thomson, fox, ect... At least in my eyes a dream build. Sure you can get more expensive, but, come on... and at less than 27 pounds.... wow.

"Its All Good"
    Stumpy Steve, hear ya buddy, this is nto about flaunting and money. The Porsche is not more expensive just because of the name alone.....

I mean real bang for buck performance, you go buy an STI.............

I really think this is a pertinent topic...I just went over what it cost me to build my Nicolai Helius FR.... Cheaper than 7400 USD believe me....I visited the factory, saw the building, saw the work that goes into each frame, not at all sayign the same doesnt happen at Specialized. But the quality cannot be the same, mass production is not at all often better than in house hand production.... Then all the other components..... 7400 USD is just a focken rip off to be honest, especially when they move to Asia which I dont have a problem with, btu they say it is prodcution costs etc, this makes the price worse....Am rambling....

ballbuster

Wondering that myself

Quote Originally Posted by woogie11
    Hey guys, this is not meant to be an inflamatory thread. I work at an S-Works dealer, which means 60% of our inventory is Specialized, so I feel especially confident posing this question. Knowing all of the short comings with the AFR "technology," would you still buy an AFR equipped bike? I had a customer today who was going to buy an 08 S-Works SJ FSR, for sure, until on a 5 minute test ride in the parking lot the SJ120 fork blew a seal on the left fork leg, (even though that shouldn't really be possible). Despite this, and my honesty regarding AFR reliability, he is coming back in on Thursday to check out/buy a brand new one. What is it about these bikes, with these known issues, that make people buy them? Especially at an S-Works level where you could afford to buy virtually any bike on the market? I'd be very interested to hear some opinions and reasoning from the other side of the fence. Thank you very much.
    I'm starting to nose around for a gearie 29er. I love my '03 stumpjumper that I bought used, so I thought that a 29er stumpy might be a good way to go.

Then I started doing the math on it.

Yeah, its a beautiful bike, feels great, I would love to own one.

But....

Expensive. For the same dough, I can get a real live USA in-house made Ventana El Ray wtih a Reba, all XT, WTB Laserdisc Lite wheels, for about the same price, instead of a medium speced Taiwanese made Stumpjumper. Or, I could get a Titus (Taiwan or US made? Can't find out for sure) Racer X 29er or Lenz Sport (US made in house).

Specialized has a lifetime warranty on the front triangle only. Who breaks a front triangle? I've only seen rear triangles break on FS bikes. The rear triangle is considered 'suspension linkage' so it only gets a one year warranty. Sounds like a cop-out to me. *edit* this was confirmed in an email to Specialized today. Yes, it's frickin' true. Front triangle is a frame, rear triangle is 1 year warranty. Lame!

Yeah, Ventana isn't true 4 bar, and has a 2 year warranty, but is built like a tank, yet weighs the same. I don't think I have ever heard of anybody who cracked a Ventana who wasn't outright doing stupid stuff the bike wasn't designed to do. Then again, I have yet to ride an El Ray myself, so this all may be moot.

Don't get me wrong. Spec makes some killer bikes, but for the dough, you can get a boutique bike... and in the case of Lenz or Ventana, you can even get custom geometry for another couple hundred if you want.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 02-19-2008 at 05:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I wouldn't buy the AFR stuff, but atleast in Europe Specialized bikes offer excellent price/quality ratio. I paid 3400 euros ($5000 according to Google) for my 08 Demo 7 II which has top-of-the-line components everywhere perhaps excluding the hubs. To get, lets say, Intense VPX/M6 or Rocky Mountain Flatline with similar spec, I would have to pay about 5000 euros ($7300). I think Specialized prices in Europe, more specifically at "unnamed" shops in Germany which automatically give 15-20% discount of list prices, make their bikes very hard to resist.

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

Nissan vs Porsche

I know what your saying, but that Skyline is only gonna be like $75K-that GT3RS complete with the yellow(carbon) brakes...is like $200K, or am I confusing that with the
    GT2? One is like $180K, the other over $200K.

Anyway, that Nissan is faster than a standard 911 Turbo, for half the money. That Nissan will stand the supercar world on it's ear when it's available here in the states. And that from a multiple 911 owner, and life long P car fanatic.

That Nissan is ugly(IMHO), but holy $hit fast.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast