mtbr member
    Oct 2005

who has a rock shox revelation on their stumpy

my 05 talas is pissing me off again and rather than send it to the (ive heard) overrated push, im thinking of hitting up a revelation. anyone have this setup? what are the weaknesses. info on me

2005 stumpy fsr expert
    medium, i weigh 185 and usually ran 125 psi in my talas (just liked it that way)
    i use the bike on very techy dh and climbs, as well as race, however im gonna get an epic as a race bike this summer, after our season ends (AZ) so hopefully no more racing for the stumpy, merely trail riding. and some 24 hour events.

any other fork suggestions? i dont want fox because i really am sick of how their product works and how friggin long it takes for them to do anything to it at the factory.

thanks......pt

mtbr member
    I just picked up a 2006 s-works stumpy fsr frame about a month ago and equipped it with the revelation 426 130mm w/out u-turn. So far I really like it but I've only got about 3 or 4 good rides on it since I got it and its only been on terrain that really isnt all that technical. I wish I could give you more info, but I just havent had enough time on it yet. Unfortuneately before I managed to leave the parking lot of the local trail this weekend I was cursed with "stuck down" ...yeah screw FOX. Anyway, mine's a medium as well and i think the geometry with the fork is pretty much just how I want it. It gives me plenty of travel but it doesnt feel like its slowing me down. I've never ridden the Talas, but i know that the Revelation is a big step up from the marzocchi mx comp i was running on my rockhopper!

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    i dont want fox because i really am sick of how their product works and how friggin long it takes for them to do anything to it at the factory.
    You left out "way over-priced" (re: Fox forks)...

I recently added an '06 Revelation 426 Air U-turn (no poplock) to my '05 Stumpy Pro FSR. Coming from the very un-tunable Minute One, the new fork was like a.... wait for it... revelation (sorry, couldn't resist).

I've had it for a few months & absolutely love it so far, it's one of the most statisfying bike purchases I've ever made. It's adjustable to a fault (not really a fault), has super-smooth performance, looks better than a Fox in matte black (ok, I took off the RockShox stickers to help that) and costs way less. Once you've set your preferred maximum 'motion control' setting (read: pedaling or anti-bob/anti-brakedive platform), it's very, very easy to reach down & use the blue compression lever while riding to turn it off and on in response to trail conditions.

Weaknesses? Like the Minute One and the old Talas (3-mm at a time) travel dials, you have to wind the travel adjust quite a few times to go from 130 to 100mm travel -- it's very usable and can be done while riding, but it takes a while. Also, I wish the blue compression lever would 'ramp up' more steadily. This is hard to describe, but it seems to really kick into action near the middle of it's lever range (making small adjustments count for a lot). This doesn't really matter if you plan on using the compression as simply an on-off switch, but I usually ride w/ mine somewhere in the middle.

The fork matches the Stumpy 120 perfectly, in my opinion. The front of my bike is finally balanced with the rear (a PUSHed Septune, in my case). I'd consider only a Talas RLC in the alternative, and you've got reasons to avoid that. So go for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    since i never use the travel adjust on my current ride should i just stick with the dual air? also what is the difference between the non air and air version of the u-turn?

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    since i never use the travel adjust on my current ride should i just stick with the dual air? also what is the difference between the non air and air version of the u-turn?
    If you're really sure you don't want travel adjust (I like the way you can change the head angle, it affects the handling of the bike), yeah, I'd stick w/ dual air. I think that version is a bit lighter and probably cheaper, too.

Non-air uturn means you'll have a coil sprung fork. Not my preference, it's less adjustable and a tad heavier I believe (but some swear by the 'feel'). I'd continue this discussion in the Let's Talk About Shocks or SRAM (parent co. of RockShox) forums, but do a search -- there's tons of useful discussions there re: the RockShox forks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkdog
    If you're really sure you don't want travel adjust (I like the way you can change the head angle, it affects the handling of the bike), yeah, I'd stick w/ dual air. I think that version is a bit lighter and probably cheaper, too.

Non-air uturn means you'll have a coil sprung fork. Not my preference, it's less adjustable and a tad heavier I believe (but some swear by the 'feel'). I'd continue this discussion in the Let's Talk About Shocks or SRAM (parent co. of RockShox) forums, but do a search -- there's tons of useful discussions there re: the RockShox forks.
    the terrain varies so much here there is no need for a lockout, travel adjust or many other things that just get in the way. i didnt use mine on my talas for so long that when i tried to, it didnt move, sweat is lovely(yes i clean the bike after each ride) i really only need a fork that has air for preload preferences and a clean rebound that isnt like a pogo stick with higher air pressures. the talas was like that for about a month then it got all reterded and all i have is an on off switch for the rebound. and the bushings knock, and it took them 1.5 months to work it last time, and it is not as stiff as now, list goes on and on. revelation dual air it is.

p.s. i like spec owners better than shock owners

dirt visionary
    As an Arizona rider I love my dual air no uturn revolution . Only catch is its on my enduro not a stumpy . So far it has ate everything I have tossed at it and once you get it dialed in it seems to gooble up the trail ahead. It handles SoMo (national) up and down nicely ,Tears through Hawes eats the Mcdowell longloop for lunch and handles jumps/drops perfect . Only downside IMO is that to get awesome low speed you gain excess brake dive,which make me glad I am not going slow often. So far it's the best fork I have rode.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a pike with is almost the same as the relavation but it has a 20MM TA. I have to say that it is a big step up from the talas. though the talas was a good fork, the pike is much nicer and more adjustable. the relavation is the same fork as the pike minus the TA so you should be very happy if you get it
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Can you post a pic of your stumpy with the pike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    sure... here yah go

Salsa Dos Niner SS