mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Where to loose weight, help please

Hi.
    I have a specialized stumpjumper 2004 HT (basic model). And I donĀ“t know where will be a good place to loose weight. I have a light cassete, light tyres, light pedals (light rotatin parts) but I think that changing some stuff it can be a lot lighter (cheap upgrades first ).

I was thinking about a carbon handlebar and new stem. My seatpost is 40grams heavier than the thomson, so, expending 80 $ for 40 grams, is not very useful. I`m seeking ONLY performance upgrades, like rotatin weight savings or so...

My second option was changing the deore rear hub, for a deore xt rear hub ( I know that it`s not the lightest, but in my country is one of the only options my budget can buy ), because the original one, is starting to make some strange sounds ( I do service it, every 6 months or so...)

Well, thanks a lot for your imput in advance.

Bye.

mtbr member

Stumpjumper Weight Drop

Fran, start saving up for some Cross Max Sl's, not cheap but makes a huge difference. I put a pair on a Cannondale Prophet after doing the changes that you have done and the difference was amazing. They would be very nice with your light tires.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How much do you weigh ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ok, i`ll start saying that...

I weight 148lbs (67kg) and height 1.84mt.

The cross max wheels are an excelent idea, but they are TOO HIGH for my budget...so...they are not an option.

Any other comment??, thanks!!

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

convert your tires to tubless

I suggest going with Stan's No Tubes. Kinda tricky at first, but HUGE improvements in traction and flat prevention-due to being able to run such low pressures.

The lower pressures yield faster wheel speed, and much lower rolling resistence. Don't forget the weight savings also, worth every penny, IMHO.

Good Luck