Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony

Where to find the best engineers

http://www.cannondale.com/theyknow/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life sucks, get a fu*king helmet, okay?" - Dennis Leary

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    As someones told in the cannondale forum, you can't spell Sinyard without sin...

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ryoninct
    My 2 friends have broken more Cannondale frames than I've replaced tires!

Their frames suck!

And the fact that Cannondale would put something like that on their website just shows their lack of confidence in their own product. I've been in sales and marketing for 20+ years. If you know your product is the best, you don't go around talking trash about other products. If your product is the best, you let it stand on it's own success.

This is just one more reason why I will never....ever....EVER buy a Cannondale!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    My 2 friends have broken more Cannondale frames than I've replaced tires!

Their frames suck!
    HAHAHAHA....ah, the blinding power of jealousy...

Bring back the Tour de GA
    Available soon at your local WalMart.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006

Also Available Soon at Walmart

Specialized Bicycle Components
    15130 Concord Circle
    Morgan Hill, CA 95037
    (408) 779-6229
    June 16, 1995

Dear Specialized Retailer:
    It's been a terrific 20 years for Specialized. We are now looking forward to continuing our leadership role in the coming decades. We want to thank you, our dealers, for helping us to lead the industry in the evolution of cycling through product innovation, racing, and promotions. We value most the role that you have played as our key partners in this success, and we are committed to growing our relationship with you.

If you've been following cycling press lately, you know that the industry is maturing and changing every week. Despite this climate, Specialized remains committed to maintaining the integrity of the Specialized brand by not selling it into the mass merchant channels or competing with our partners in the specialty retail business. We wish to put to rest any concerns that we will sell Specialized bikes and technical accessories into these channels.

To address the needs of our non-traditional consumers, we are launching a new, independent company and brand called Full Force, which will produce quality, value-oriented bicycles and cycling accessories for entry level cyclists. Full Force will drive our OEM manufacturing operations which will continue to produce private label helmets and waterbottles for such top name brands as Nike, Bauer, Gatorade, and Ralph Lauren. Full Force brand products will be sold through general sporting goods stores and select mass merchants.

This dual branding strategy enables Specialized Bicycle Components to maintain the integrity of the Specialized brand, while simultaneously providing new value-oriented consumers with a quality introduction into the sport of cycling. This will make Specialized a more viable company for the long term. Profits from Full Force will be aggressively reinvested back into Specialized research and development, specialty retailers to reach these new consumers and migrate them into your channel for upgrade purchases. This move is consistent with our heritage of evolving the sport and guiding change, rather than being steered by it.

You may have questions or comments regarding the enclosed information and the specific programs which we have designed for you, so please feel free to call me personally at (408) 779-6229 ext. 2255 or Steve Meineke at ext. 2326. My commitment to you is that we will aggressively reinvest in the exciting, innovative product, effective dealer support programs, and the people and partners that have made Specialized the premier brand that it is today.

Thank You.

Sincerely, Mike Sinyard President

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    no, they will stay in local shops only. Specialized, however, is attempting to retaliate with their new Full Force budget line which WILL be in mass merchants like walmart.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If you know your product is the best, you don't go around talking trash about other products. If your product is the best, you let it stand on it's own success.

What forum is this? Specialized? Oh no, they NEVER bash anyone, ever. Please....

I even like Specialized stuff, and I still don't drink the Kool-Aid that heavily. They're the biggest bully in the arena, have been for years. It may not be apparent to the consumer, but inside the industry, this is well known fact.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    HAHAHAHA....ah, the blinding power of jealousy...
    Let's see...

Axel weighs about 185 and has broken...
    1 F500 (Down-tube weld broke at the BB)
    1 F900 (Seat-stay weld broke at the seat-tube)
    2 Ravens (Carbon frame kept cracking and splitting at the seem)...hmm...a bolted seem on a carbon bike...yup...those engineers DO know what they are doing...ha ha

Lee weighs about 165-170 and has broken...
    1 Jekyll (Headshot needle bearing were seated wrong on installation, Cannondale replaced it with a left...the lefty's electronic lockout later failed....TWICE)
    1 Scapel (Carbon chain-stays both cracked at the same spot at the BB)
    1 Rush (completely ripped the head-tube from the top-tube and down-tube)

That's solid engineering for two people to have gone through that many models.

I used to work at a dealer from 2000-2003 than sold Cannondale too. We saw more broken Cannondale's (Crack-ondale's we called them) than the Trek, Gary Fisher, Specialized, Litespeed, or Lemmond bikes we sold.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    I want to know how 'Specialized' is any different from Dorel. Full Force and Pacific are Both mass merchant manufacturers, and Specialized and Cannondale are IBD only.. Cannondale finally stood up to the almighty specialized. And im thankful for it. Specialized is an equal opprotunity bully. Thats why we dropped the specialized line after ten years of business, and are still holding strong with cannondale, going on our 24th year with cannondale.

"Focker Out"

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith

What forum is this? Specialized? Oh no, they NEVER bash anyone, ever. Please....

I even like Specialized stuff, and I still don't drink the Kool-Aid that heavily. They're the biggest bully in the arena, have been for years. It may not be apparent to the consumer, but inside the industry, this is well known fact.
    This isn't inside the industry though...by having that on their website, it's like how politicians sling mud for offices. I think it's said. It's like the recent Burger King commercials with the two people dressed up in hamburger outfits that go to Wendy's and try to order Whoppers. It's just mud slinging for the public...It's garbage.

plush
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    no, they will stay in local shops only. Specialized, however, is attempting to retaliate with their new Full Force budget line which WILL be in mass merchants like walmart.
    New Full Force??? That memo is from June 1995! Wow, I've owned both specialized and cannondale. It's all the same people! Cannondale fan boys drink just as much cool-aid as Specialized fan boys, maybe even more. I was also alittle surprised by cannondales brash statement "Best engineers"? thats stepping on a lot of toes.

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    But Pacific Cycles bought out Mongoose, GT, Schwinn, and InStep...in turn...changed their quality and lowered the cost. That's why you see those brands that used to be your LBS's, now they are at Wal-Mart.

It's not like Full Force owns Specialized...it's the other way around. Specialized wanted to try and take a stab at the merchant market. They're not going to put their good name on a mediocre bike.

It's like DeWalt with Black and Decker. Both made by the same people, but you don't want industrial contractors thinking they can buy Black and Decker tools to use in heavy duty applications!

Well, I didn't bash anyone. I posted it for giggles. You people take stuff too seriously. I like Specialized and think their poaching was just business being business. Just thought it was funny that Cannondale spun it to their favor.

Oh and G'Force - your friends can't ride or are blithering morons. EVERY bike maker has failures but your buddies have bad luck with a brand and keep buying them - whats that tell you?

Everyone just ride what they want. Geesh.

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    Well, I didn't bash anyone. I posted it for giggles. You people take stuff too seriously. I like Specialized and think their poaching was just business being business. Just thought it was funny that Cannondale spun it to their favor.

Oh and G'Force - your friends can't ride or are blithering morons. EVERY bike maker has failures but your buddies have bad luck with a brand and keep buying them - whats that tell you?

Everyone just ride what they want. Geesh.
    Well, when the Cannondale Rep is your buddy, you tend to take advantage of that, rather than waiting on EP stuff from Specialized...

I used to work at a dealer from 2000-2003 than sold Cannondale too. We saw more broken Cannondale's (Crack-ondale's we called them)
    Seems you're also part of the public, yet I'd call this mudslinging, wouldn't you? Just checking.....

Again, I like both companies, actually have friends that work for each, we can get together and ride it's all good. Just think that bashing sanctimoniously is a bad thing, unless you're attacked first, as Cannondale was. Did you know that many engineers who work at each company, have worked for the other one too? It's like a couples swap weekend if you really want to know

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yeah, i missed the '95, i assumed it was new with all the other stuff posted up along with it on the other thread. my mistake. either way, Dorel will do nothing but improve Cannondale. Even C-dale fanboys don't understand that all of Pacific's brands fell into sharp decline BEFORE they were bought, and pacific has done nothing but improve them...kind of like when Rock Shox hit a wall before SRAM stepped in.

Well, when the Cannondale Rep is your buddy, you tend to take advantage of that, rather than waiting on EP stuff from Specialized...
    That sounds suspect but whatever. I've never broken a Cannondale and I have 4 of them but my 60 year old dad broke his stumpjumper. I work at a shop too and both brake. Way too many variables to point to. Now Trek is another story

plush
    I take no sides here, I just think the petty arguments are interesting and entertaining. It seems that most of the Specialized fan boys forget that several years ago a company called Merida bought a sizable share of Specialized. As far as I know Trek and Giant are the last of the giants that truly own themselves. The real question is does it really matter who's paying the bills as long as there are passionate intelligent people designing and marketing the bikes?

http://www.totalbike.com/news/article/196/

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Does anyone remember when Specialized grabbed domain names of their largest competitors several years ago? For example, Trek had trekbikes.com but they didnít purchase domain name Trekbicycles.com. Well, the folks at Specialized noticed that and bought those names. So when someone, not knowing the Trek web address, typed in Trekbicycles.com it took them to the Specialized site! They did this to GT and some other bike company that I donít remember. This is fact. I tried it myself at that time and it took me to Specialized.com! I couldnít believe it. After a big stink from their competitors (possible lawsuit?) they stopped doing that. Speaking of dirty pool!!

Quote Originally Posted by eaglecat
    Speaking of dirty pool!!
    This brings up another stunt of theirs. I may have some details not quite correct, but Specialized wasinvloved in legal action with a Portland OR company over their usage of the colloquial name Stump Town for model of bike. Spec seemed to believe they needed to stop, or pay royalties, something to that effect. Wow, Portland's nickname is really horning in on MTB business huh?? Give frivolous lawsuits a whole new name......

Here's the link, gotta love the search function!

Specialized on the lawsuit warhunt

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Hey u little ******, youíve stolen my thread. Oh well, at least yours is getting some mileage, Specialized has sunk pretty low with this one I must say.
    [/SIZE]

Awesome not Rad
    Big difference between Dorel and Pacific...
    Pacific Bought Schwinn/ GT for Schwinn! Took Schwinn to the mass and twitled their thunbs with GT BUT GT never went to the mass. Yes, it showed up in B level sporting goods but that didnt last long at all.

Now GT and Cannondale are under Dorel, completely seperated from Pacific mass biz.

Why the hell would the mass market want Cannondale anyhow? do you really think some tabacco chewing redneck gives a rats ass about lefty? Only the most ignorant person would make such a claim. Pull your head out, stop making such lame slippery slope assumptions and put some thought behind your statements.

C'dale will come out of this stronger than they were and will Stomp on the the Stumpy ones.
    Oh yea... your spec warrenty fork will be in the mail in two weeks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EskimoFriend
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    15130 Concord Circle
    Morgan Hill, CA 95037
    (408) 779-6229
    June 16, 1995

Dear Specialized Retailer:
    It's been a terrific 20 years for Specialized. We are now looking forward to continuing our leadership role in the coming decades. We want to thank you, our dealers, for helping us to lead the industry in the evolution of cycling through product innovation, racing, and promotions. We value most the role that you have played as our key partners in this success, and we are committed to growing our relationship with you.

If you've been following cycling press lately, you know that the industry is maturing and changing every week. Despite this climate, Specialized remains committed to maintaining the integrity of the Specialized brand by not selling it into the mass merchant channels or competing with our partners in the specialty retail business. We wish to put to rest any concerns that we will sell Specialized bikes and technical accessories into these channels.

To address the needs of our non-traditional consumers, we are launching a new, independent company and brand called Full Force, which will produce quality, value-oriented bicycles and cycling accessories for entry level cyclists. Full Force will drive our OEM manufacturing operations which will continue to produce private label helmets and waterbottles for such top name brands as Nike, Bauer, Gatorade, and Ralph Lauren. Full Force brand products will be sold through general sporting goods stores and select mass merchants.

This dual branding strategy enables Specialized Bicycle Components to maintain the integrity of the Specialized brand, while simultaneously providing new value-oriented consumers with a quality introduction into the sport of cycling. This will make Specialized a more viable company for the long term. Profits from Full Force will be aggressively reinvested back into Specialized research and development, specialty retailers to reach these new consumers and migrate them into your channel for upgrade purchases. This move is consistent with our heritage of evolving the sport and guiding change, rather than being steered by it.

You may have questions or comments regarding the enclosed information and the specific programs which we have designed for you, so please feel free to call me personally at (408) 779-6229 ext. 2255 or Steve Meineke at ext. 2326. My commitment to you is that we will aggressively reinvest in the exciting, innovative product, effective dealer support programs, and the people and partners that have made Specialized the premier brand that it is today.

Thank You.

Sincerely, Mike Sinyard President
    [SIZE=2]Walmart? God Specialized is going down the drain.
    [/SIZE]

hummm! should I?
    Dec 2005
    Eskimo friend:

Specialized doesn't own full force nor does it sell Full Force. Back in 1995 specialized and Trek tried out selling cheaper version of their bikes to the big boxes. Specialized called theirs Full Force trek called theirs Jazzy. It was a disastrous mistake for both companies. full force took about a year to die completely! That was back in the Mid-nineties Specialized is not going to sell any bikes to Walmart or to any B grade sports store. If you are going to post letters sent to dealers you should also post the ones where Specialized told their dealers that they were dropping the full force line entirely. Be honest! If you want to tell someone else that its unfair to play dirty then listen to your own advice!
    Really you are going to trot out stuff from 1995 that is entirely unrelated to Cdale being purchased to show that Specialized has it out for Cdale? Get Real if you have an argument somewhere lets hear it but don't just throw around old garbage

Farmer John: There isn't a big difference between Dorel and Pacific. Dorel owns Pacific and if Cannondale cannot pull out of the slump they have been in for the past three or four years then Dorel will do just what it says and make the changes necessary to make a profit, just like Pacific did with GT, Schwinn and Mongoose, Dorel made the purchase,to make a profit and is according to themselves giving Cdale a year to make a turn around. Hopefully Cdale does make the turn around! We need players in the industry. But given Dorel's history with buying brands and ruining the name it doesn't seem likely.

Swash: there is a difference between the Dorel purchase of Cdale and the Merida purchase of a minority share of Specialized. Merida is a bike manufacturer and profits from the merger with Specialized.in more ways than just profit. Look at the Merida bikes available in Europe and tell me if you see any similarities. Dorel on the other hand is not a manufacturer but is a capital investment firm. Dorel does not care whether or not Cdale is a longterm manufacturing prospect but saw the purchase as a way to make money from a marketable name! otherwise they would just invest in factory and start manufacturing bikes themselves. They needed a name in order to sell the finished product. They really don't care what kind of bikes they are selling or to whom they are selling to if they can make a profit. If Cdale does not recapture market share it has consistantly lost over the last half a decade Dorel will do whatever they need to do in order to make a profit.
    The problem here is not with Cdale but the company that purchased Cdale.

I hope that Cdale pulls through, but I can tell you that if they end up going mass market or if Dorel moves everything overseas the engineers who work for Cdale won't be complaining if they get the same email again. and if you think that those engineers aren't currrently looking at what their options are outside of Cdale you'r crazy. Business is ruthless and those engineers aren't working for nothing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast