mtbr member
    May 2011

When to rebuild fork and shocks?

I have a 2012 Stumpy Evo. I've had the bike for 1.5 years now and ridden it at least weekly. I have no leaks or visible issues with fork / shock. When do I know is a good time to rebuild? It's just not as smooth as it was on day 1.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    150 hours use before a full service is the recommendation. 50 hours for a basic air sleeve service (which you can pretty easily do yourself).

Front & rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ^What he said. Also remember it's not "life or death" if you don't follow the recommendations exactly.

It also depends on the environment that you're riding in, super dusty, riding during the winter in the mud and cold. What I would do is just service your suspension just before the season starts every year depending on how much you rode. I ride at least 4 hours a week on my bike and at that pace the hours really add up and I would have to do 3 services before the season is over. So I just do it ounce before ever y season and the fork stays pretty dam smooth throughout the season.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

mtbr member
    ^ I'm the same way^

I ride 3-6 hours per week and do seals once a season, usually springtime after the rains start to taper off.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    I think the seasonal thing works just fine or if you see a need like a leak. Hey speaking of which, you all with the 2012 Expert Evo Enduro, mine just started leaving a bit of oil on the fork stations recently and the bike only had 100 or so miles before I got it a month ago. I have, however, been riding the crap out of it and jumping it knowing that I have bottomed it out a few times for sure. Anyway, is this full service a thing I can do myself or leave it to the pros? It is the Fox Van R 170mm, and also where can I find instructions and parts if I can do it myself.
    Thanks a bunch
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tsefreeflow View Post
    I think the seasonal thing works just fine or if you see a need like a leak. Hey speaking of which, you all with the 2012 Expert Evo Enduro, mine just started leaving a bit of oil on the fork stations recently and the bike only had 100 or so miles before I got it a month ago. I have, however, been riding the crap out of it and jumping it knowing that I have bottomed it out a few times for sure. Anyway, is this full service a thing I can do myself or leave it to the pros? It is the Fox Van R 170mm, and also where can I find instructions and parts if I can do it myself.
    Thanks a bunch
    It could be that you're throwing the oil around quite a bit inside the tubes or, it can be a seal that needs to be replaced and it's letting too much oil through.

Follow the link and it'll show you what you need to do. It's not that hard to be honest, I had someone do it the first time and the second time I did it myself. To be honest it's scary at first because you don't want to mess something up, but if you plan it out and be organized, it's very doable. And once you've done it, you'll be asking yourself why you just didn't do it earlier. I'm great working with my hands and repair everything myself, so working with stuff comes natural, but it's very doable.

Below the video on the page, there are two links that will take you to Fox's parts catalog.

Shop Tech: Fox Vanilla Seal and Oil Replace on Vimeo
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

mtbr member
    Very nice. Thanks a bunch.
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!