Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Religion = Non-thinking

When buying a S bike with an air fork, are we supposed to get a shock pump?

I'm wondering, when buying a specialized bike with an air fork, does specialized ship them with a free air pump for us? Is there anything else that the bike owner is supposed to get with the bike other than the instruction manual and booklets?

I know i didn't get a shock pump with my bike's Reba SL air fork...
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The dealer gave me one when I bought my Epic yesterday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

no shock pump with the bike.

I purchased one in 2005 and another a month ago , both had air forks and air shocks and neither came with a shock pump.
    TEX

Religion = Non-thinking
    i bought 2 bikes with air forks from the same shop and they didn't give me air forks; i have a suspicion that i was supposed to get one and they the shop kept it for themselves.

bikes were:
    2010 RH SL Pro - Reba SL Dual Air
    2010 SJ Comp - Fox Fload F90
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Pretty sure that a bike shops don't need extra shock pumps.

Do yourself a favor and buy a good one. Topeak makes one that you can disengage the valve before removing the adapter; which means that you are going to get super super accurate psi readings off your fork/shock. This translates into being able to fine tune your ride.

Religion = Non-thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio
    Pretty sure that a bike shops don't need extra shock pumps.

Do yourself a favor and buy a good one. Topeak makes one that you can disengage the valve before removing the adapter; which means that you are going to get super super accurate psi readings off your fork/shock. This translates into being able to fine tune your ride.
    you're pretty sure, but are you definite that mechanics wouldn't steal a shock pump?? thats kind of what i'm implying and which is why i'm asking if the bikes in the OP come with pumps in the box.

i'm not asking which pump to buy...
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Topeak makes one that you can disengage the valve before removing the adapter; which means that you are going to get super super accurate psi readings off your fork/shock. This translates into being able to fine tune your ride.
    Which model is this? I got a Sette model which has this feature, but my one complaint is it is a 400psi shock, which makes the gage harder to "fine tune" inbetween the markings.

Chris

mtbr member
    May 2008

They don't Come with one

Specialized bikes don't ship with shock pumps.

I've heard of a few super-duper nice shops throwing one in for people. That's out of there own pocket, though. You're shop definitely isn't holding one back that you should have got.
    Disclosure: I work in a bike shop

Religion = Non-thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by UpwardSpiral
    Specialized bikes don't ship with shock pumps.

I've heard of a few super-duper nice shops throwing one in for people. That's out of there own pocket, though. You're shop definitely isn't holding one back that you should have got.
    i think u may be wrong, i've heard it direct from some (other, not mine) specialized dealers that they ship with a rock pump (like the RS Shock pump w/ bikes that have RS air forks)

Thats exactly where i get this idea, that some shops or mechanics steal the pumps.
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    I was there when my 09 Carbon Stumpy came off the FedEx truck and opened the box myself.

There was no pump.

Religion = Non-thinking
    was it a fox fork?

the bike i saw at another bike shop that was sold (but the owner didn't come to pick it up yet) had a Rockshox fork on it and the handlebar had the RS Shock pump zip tied onto it and i asked the mechanic there (my friend) and he said it came with the bike.
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 96m2comp
    Which model is this? I got a Sette model which has this feature, but my one complaint is it is a 400psi shock, which makes the gage harder to "fine tune" inbetween the markings.

Chris

This one. http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-...PocketShockDXG

I don't own one personally but I have "borrowed" my friends for months at a time.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Rockhopper SL Pro

I can't speak to every Specialized bike with a Rockshox fork on them, but here's what I do know:

I have a RH SL pro 29 in my store right now that did not come with a shock pump. Some of the higher end ones might, but that one definitely didn't.

Hope this helps.
    Disclosure: I work in a bike shop

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I just bought a '10 Enduro with a Lyric. It did not come with a shock pump. Take it for what it's worth. Or choose to believe there's a big shock pump conspiracy that you need to investigate ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just bought an 09 stumpy and it did come with a pump. I dont know if it was LBS, Specialized or Fox that provided it though. I'll have to find out.

mtbr member
    I didn't get one with any of the last 5 Specialized bike's I bought. I bought a Topeak and love it. Not a big deal to me. My most recent one didn't have one in the box and it had a Fox fork.

Brian
    Ride it like you stole it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyxcom
    I was there when my 09 Carbon Stumpy came off the FedEx truck and opened the box myself.

There was no pump.
    Same here, only mine was an S-Works Epic. No pump, unless the FedEx guy stole it....
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    I think the FedEx driver takes them and gives them to the bike shop mechanics. But only Fox ones.

turtles make me hot
    When I bought my 08 Stumpjumper, it did not come with a pump, but I did find out it was supposed to come with a Sag o meter and a set of Crank Bros cleats to go with the Crank Bros pedals that came with it. Little snot in the bike shop snagged those.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Pumps are not included with Specialized bikes, it would unnecessarily add cost for the customer if they already own one. Sometimes shops include a pump with a new purchase but this is not common practice. Some bike brands include a cheap pump to get the customer started, but as I mentioned before this unnecessarily adds cost for customers that have already invested in a nice pump. Many suspension manufacturers offer suspension pumps aftermarket, but I am not aware of them including pumps with each of their components.

All air suspension component owners should invest in a shock pump. This will allow you to tune your suspension to your personal settings and maintain those air pressure settings. I suggest checking your settings every few weeks and tuning your suspension for the various terrains you ride.
    Visit my profile for Links to:

Performance Guarantee, Service, Setup, E150 Maintenance....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Sarcasm intended

Hey guys, I just bought some inner tubes from by LBS. Three for $10. What a deal! Should I have gotten a floor pump with my purchase? I think the LBS took my Airtool Pro Floor Pump that should have came with my tubes!

Always pushing harder!!!
    no pump here either...but I bought the one that I wanted...not like a friend who bought a bike of another brand and it came with a pump and he likes mine better than his...

mtbr member
    I just picked up my 2010 29er sworks with no pump but I have had a pump laying around for awhile so i used that one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This one. http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-...PocketShockDXG

I don't own one personally but I have "borrowed" my friends for months at a time.
    +1
    This pump with the bleed-off valve is extremely helpful in putting precise levels of pressure in your shocks, especially for higher pressure rear air shocks where a tenth of a second of non-instantaneous release will leave you guessing just how much air is really in your shock.

um hmmm
    Nov 2009
    OMG you have discovered their scam!!! ALL LBS's STEAL shock pumps! That way they can have 100 of them sitting in the back somewhere.

same thing nyrr you should see all the sag-o-meters and cleats they have in that same box you would be alarmed!!! tose thieving bastards!

Most bikes dont come with pumps but some do, I find it to be hit and miss even within a brand.

What shock pump you use really doesn't matter, the important thing is using the same one over and over. That way you will have a consistant gauge to read from. It doesn't matter if one pump gauge reads 110psi and another reads 100psi if both pumps give you the same sag. Just use the same pump consistantly and you will be fine.

think of the numbers as more arbitrary than concrete. on my bike I but 85 in my fork and 140 in my shock with my pump at home and with the pump at work I put 90 and 145 respectively. I remember the numbers for the specific pump but I don't to know 100% what the psi is inside because I do know they are set up properly using those numbers from those particular shocks. and that is whats important.

so TLDR : doesn't matter what shock pump just be consistant and use the same one all the time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast