justwanttoride

wheelset under $300/pair

hey i have a rockhopper pro '08 and the wheelset it came with sucks. they are dt swiss 445d rims, specialized STOUT hubs and cheap spokes. ive already replaced the free hub twice that it came with. one of the spokes broke on the rear wheel and ive repacked the bearings in the hubs several times. i know i know i should have bought a better bike with better components but im stuck with it for now. i would however like to purchase a new wheelset for under $400?? ive seen some good wheels on chain reaction and was wondering if anyone has purchased wheels from them? any problems?? i was looking at custom wheelsets with hope 2 or shimano xt 756 hubs. the hopes look nice and from what i hear are a solid hub. the xt 756 hubs are more my price range but im reluctant to buy a wheelset with loose ball bearings/cup and cone hub. i figure they are xt and the xtr wheelset is cup and cone as well so they cant be that bad can they? i weight 220lbs so i need a wheelset that is more all mountain rather than light weight cross country!? ive been looking at the mavic crossride discs but hear they are worse than my stock wheels! the crosstrail discs seem perfect for me but are too expensive! (crossmax st 2010 are my favs they look sexy!) i was thinking about shimano xt 756 hubs with mavix 717 disc rims? anyone have these wheels? are they good?? ive also hear about shimano SLX wheels...mt65 and mt15 but cant find anything about them on their website!? anyone have these wheels/know anything about them? help and THANKS!

Bikes Bacon and Beer!
    PM sent.
    "Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary,and glory is forever!"
    -Matt Hoffman

mtbr member
    Velocity Blunt rims with XT hubs and black DT spokes are available all over for about $100 per wheel. The rims are red, but more like lipstick red. Actually looks nicer than it sounds. Got a set that is going on my Enduro SL. Getting the front rebuilt with Specialized's Enduro SL specific hub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would check out the stans notubes site and see what they have to offer.

cougarbait
    ewww.. xt hubs

hope pro2, dt supercomp, dt 4.2d or whatever rim you choose
    free shipping at crc.. it's decently fast too
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Religion = Non-thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdamaster
    ewww.. xt hubs

hope pro2, dt supercomp, dt 4.2d or whatever rim you choose
    free shipping at crc.. it's decently fast too
    can u link me to that above setup for $300? whats crc?
    RH SL Pro

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    can u link me to that above setup for $300? whats crc?
    it's more like $400 for a good setup, get mavic instead of dt swiss rims if you want to save a little cash
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/K...x?ModelID=7599
    you should get revo spokes
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've been reading good things about Azonic Outlaw wheelsets.(in colors too.) Anybody know about them?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Religion = Non-thinking
    what makes the revo spokes better than comp spokes?

and why maciv 717 over dt 4.2D?
    RH SL Pro

Religion = Non-thinking
    i'm very interested in the Pure XCR Hubs/Pure Rims, how is that combo at BWW for $300-350? almost as good as Hope?
    RH SL Pro

cougarbait
    I had a pair of azonic outlaws for a while.. sold them to my friend for his dirt-jumper build
    they are super-heavy, but bomb-proof. The rear hub is nice and loud and the front hub easily converts from 20mm to QR. I converted them to ghetto tubeless really easily. They're really meant for DH/FR/DJ. way too heavy/overkill on anything less.

revo spokes are a lot lighter, the mavic rims might be cheaper. I went with DT swiss myself.

I doubt the BWW are as good as hope, though I don't have any evidence to back that up. people seem to be happy with their respective BWW and Hope hubs. Hope are really loud, which I like. BWW are quiet, and frankly look a little cheap. BWW charges a ton for revo spokes. I also considered the BWW route, but went CRC.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Religion = Non-thinking
    i think i'd prefer to stick w/ BWW since they're in the US.
    I like quiet hubs, i dont like to hear anything the the rubber on the ground when i'm riding...

yea they do overcharge for revo spokes, i guess i'll stick with the DT Comps if i were to ever buy.
    RH SL Pro

cougarbait
    you can at least get the supercomps if you go BWW
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    I got a pair of wheels built at CRC with Hope Pro II's and 5.1D rims earlier this year.

They were assembled very carelessly. Some of the spokes on the non drive side of the rear wheel had zero tension in them at all. And overall, the wheels are under tensioned.

I suppose I got a crappy builder but for the price I can't really complain.

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyxcom
    I got a pair of wheels built at CRC with Hope Pro II's and 5.1D rims earlier this year.

They were assembled very carelessly. Some of the spokes on the non drive side of the rear wheel had zero tension in them at all. And overall, the wheels are under tensioned.

I suppose I got a crappy builder but for the price I can't really complain.
    yeah they're builds are a bit iffy
    my front wheel somehow came in almost 10mm off-dish
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

justwanttoride
    crc seems like a great place to buy wheels...has anyone purchased from them before?? im in canada. it seems like hope pro 2 hubs are the ones for me but what rims? what spokes? crc has a choice of 3 spokes...which is strongest for my weight? what rims would be best for someone over 200lbs? it seems like all wheels has a weight limit of 185lbs? is there a good wheel build that is strong and inexpensive? should i buy wheels that are worth more than my bike?? can mavic rims (717,719,819) withhold a rider weight of over 200 lbs? can double and triple butted spokes hold my weight or do i need a straight gauge spokes?

justwanttoride
    wtf? so who is a good wheel builder? not CRC? maybe i should just buy factory built wheels??

mtbr member
    I am probably 245 lbs geared up and the 5.1D hold up fine.

Goto CRC and search "Hope Hoops". You can find lots of prebuilt combos that I am going to assume are assembled to a higher quality than custom ordered wheels.

I should have known I was going to have problems when the custom wheels I ordered were built and shipped within 5 hrs of placing the order.

But again, budget about $50 bux for local truing if you get a bad set. You still come in a ton cheaper then getting them built domestically.

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by specializedwhore
    crc seems like a great place to buy wheels...has anyone purchased from them before?? im in canada. it seems like hope pro 2 hubs are the ones for me but what rims? what spokes? crc has a choice of 3 spokes...which is strongest for my weight? what rims would be best for someone over 200lbs? it seems like all wheels has a weight limit of 185lbs? is there a good wheel build that is strong and inexpensive? should i buy wheels that are worth more than my bike?? can mavic rims (717,719,819) withhold a rider weight of over 200 lbs? can double and triple butted spokes hold my weight or do i need a straight gauge spokes?
    I would go supercomp spokes at your weight. really depends on how you ride. CRC unfortunately does not offer supercomps. you can go revo and get it trued/tensioned by a trusted wheelbuilder after you receive them, or take the weight penalty and go with comps.
    dunno much about mavic's rims
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Another option:

Good price. Good reviews. Good weight for the price. Under $300.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...elset-08-32080

cougarbait
    cheap but a bit heavy, plus the 6-bolt adapters will add weight unless you pay the premium for rotors, which will reduce the overall savings by quite a bit
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Bikes Bacon and Beer!
    Quote Originally Posted by specializedwhore
    wtf? so who is a good wheel builder? not CRC? maybe i should just buy factory built wheels??

Like I said in my PM...I have the perfect solution for ya!
    "Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary,and glory is forever!"
    -Matt Hoffman

ElDorado
    Jun 2007
    Another option from CRC for around $400 is Mavic 819 on Hope Pro II. Just received this week and my first attempt at tubeless. After four rides I don't think I'm ever going back to tubes.

justwanttoride

wheels

lamb...i like your new wheels! they are BLING! id have to go with 5.1 if i could choose the rim. how do they feel? are the hope 2's any good? im thinking about hope pro 2 hubs with stans ztr flow rims. i think id have to get dt comp spokes...hopefully i can find them in WHITE! what are your plans for future mods or is your bike set and ready??
    getting my bike ready for 2012!

cougarbait
    later down the road I might get a sid race and noir cranks as I have a team discount on sram parts
    the hopes are great. they are really loud
    09AS-Rsl/09Six