mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Wheelset options for an ’06 epic frame…

Hey guys! I didn't get a response in the wheel forum so I figured I'd try here...

I’m getting an ’06 epic frame this fall which I am going to build up over the winter. I have been researching wheelsets in the $500ish range. I want this bike to be light as I might use it for a few races next season. Also I’ve rode bikes with light wheels and have felt the difference a lighter wheel makes. Also I plan to run tubeless with this wheelset. For the most part I do lighter cross country riding with some rock gardens… I’m about 170 with gear. Also I'm not in a rush. If I had to wait for the fall to get something leftover from '09 that would be ok... From my research these are the options I have so far. this is what I’ve come up with so far…

Mavic ST Disc - 1630 grams…
    I am not thrilled with the reviews I’ve read about the plastic bushings wearing out in the free hub. And then having to buy .003” oversized bushings on Ebay? Also the lack of sealing is a worry for me. I ride in northern, NJ and conditions can sometimes be wet/muddy…

American Classic MTB 26 Disc -1520 grams…
    I’ve read all the great reviews on this wheel and the only downside to me is the white color. But that would not stop me from buying these if they are the best choice…

Spinergy Xyclone Disc - 1695 grams
    I haven’t found a downside to these yet. The reviews seems favorable and they are easily found for my price range. But they are the heaviest of the 3...

A custom build? What could I get for my price range and would it be better than these 3.… BWW?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ok, never mind my comment on the AC only coming in White. I’ve found them in Black…

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try stans. Notubes.com or any shop with a good wheel builder should be able to lace you up a pair of their wheels. ZTR hubs is the notubes house brand or you can probably get a pair of hope hubs for a little bit more. I also like the dt 4.2d rim and at the 500.00 mark you could get that laced in a pair of hope hubs.

Members who have read this thread: 0