Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wheels on epic

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Wheels on epic

I noticed that my wheels are a little wobbly...probably just need a small truing. But, I was browsing through online sites and saw a bunch of wheelsets for sale. Which wheelsets would be better than the ones that come with the 07 epic comp?

My local bike shop was showing me some mavics with some cool looking spokes...but were really expensive! Performance has some mavics for $169 a set, but I dont know if they're as good as the stock ones... so many crossmax, crossride, crosstrail? whats the difference? the look the same to me. Then I read on mbaction magazine about azonics being really good and inexpensive too...aaahhh.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    it all really depends how $ you want to spend. Some will say that the Mavic Crossmax SLR are the best wheel to use now or the SL (R is the race version which is lighter then the standard SL close to the same wheel) Decide on how much you want to spend then start researching for wheels. Find some you like and then learn about them. If you just want to by and money not an issue, by the SLR's. talk to local riders and read the review here also. when it comes to knowing the difference in wheel from the same company go to there website and read about each one and then intended use.
    Hope this helps

mtbr member
    There's a ton of info. on wheels and tires forum. I'm still a newbie to most of this stuff, but I've realized that the lighter your wheels, the better your ride. Easier to stop, accelerate, manuever and hop. So your goal is a lightweight yet strong wheelset. As you can guess, the lighter you get, the more it will cost. At the same time, the stronger the wheelset, the more it would naturally weigh due to the material. You just want to find something that will satisfy you all around, including the price.

I spent $600 on some Mavic Crossmax ST discs last Oct. I put them on my '05 FSRxc and will transfer them to my upcoming Epic Expert frame. They have been great especially since I went with the factory made route. You will find that many will advise you to have a wheelset custom made, which may or may not cost you more. Since you have an Epic, I assume your rides are mostly trails so Clark's advice on the SLs can be great...but costly. Take some time and research. Your current wheels will still roll.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'd suggest going for a custom build. I have had Chris King hubs and they are great. I run Hope now, and I actually like them better. The price is right too. Mavic 819 rim is a solid choice as well. I run that set up on an epic and feels pretty dialed in. Mavic Crossmax are great, I had a set between the Kings and the Hopes. Only thing about them is its hard to find the CrossMax spokes, so if you break 'em, you might be looking at some down time, and for a stock wheel, they are kinda pricey. If your wanting to spend that much, custom build, hands down.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I had a set of wheels built by Stan's with WTB hubs and ztr 355 rims. The wheels are lighter and cheaper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the 08 mavic sl is the same weight as the slr, check for yourself on their site, i went with the SL on my epic and they are very nice, the stiffness makes the suspension work better they are quiet they roll very well and theyre strong, at 1520 grams they are also a lot lighter than the stock wheels, the roval traverse is a particularly cool wheelset, super light yet they are all mountain, so they are storong, you cant lose

Lusus Naturae
    I just had 2007 Crossmax SL set installed on my 2007 Epic Expert. Noticed they are very stiff and responsive. However, there seems to be some moisture coming from each spoke/nipple where it meets the wheel. I took it into the shop today and hopefully they can figure it out.

While doing research on the problem, one suggestion that I found was perhaps some of the stans leaks through the area of the valve from the main tire chamber to a chamber that is apparently in between, where the spokes are terminated. Something like that.

Both the wheelset and the tires are UST but stans was used anyway just to be safe. Fortunately it seems to have contributed to figuring out where there is leakage. Without it I would probably have just ended up pumping the tires every ride ... not that the air leaking was very fast but it definitely felt like it went from 40psi down to 25 over a two weak period.
    Last edited by NoBalance; 03-27-2008 at 01:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    very interesting, im still running tubes so i would never have noticed this, i have a friend whos running tubless crosstrails though and he doesnt seem to be having this problem

XC Rider
    Got these for around $425.00 . I only have two rides on them but they seem awesome so far. And at 1500 grams plus or minus you can't go wrong over the stocks. Has anyone converted the American Classics to tubeless with a stans kit and if so what are your impressions?

IMG_0601.JPG

mtbr member
    I think spending over $500 on wheels if you don't race is just a waste of money. Look on ebay or MTBR classifieds, they have some great deals on new or barely used wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daniyarm
    I think spending over $500 on wheels if you don't race is just a waste of money. Look on ebay or MTBR classifieds, they have some great deals on new or barely used wheelsets.
    If you're an avid trail rider and you've got the cash, why not? I'm looking at getting a set of either Mavic Crosstrails (claimed 1820g) @ $475 or possibly a set of custom built Hope Pro IIs/Mavic 819s. Either way it'll come out to around $500. And I don't race.

If I can afford it (and I can) then why shouldn't I?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    there was a race on here a few weeks back on a 30 mile trail that i take on a regular basis, i was all gung ho to go in for it untill i found out that it cost 75 dollars to enter, no way, do races cost that much to enter everywhere else?

Brentster
    Jun 2007
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daniyarm

Berkley:
    If you're an avid trail rider and you've got the cash, why not? I'm looking at getting a set of either Mavic Crosstrails (claimed 1820g) @ $475 or possibly a set of custom built Hope Pro IIs/Mavic 819s. Either way it'll come out to around $500. And I don't race.

If I can afford it (and I can) then why shouldn't I?
    That's funny. Daiyarm says that spending OVER $500 is a waste, if you're not racing. You call him out on it as you're mentioning the fact that you're wanting to buy wheels just under $500. I guess you're following his advice. lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    $500 seems kinda steep for me...I was looking at $200 max... :P
    I've entered local races for $20 and they gave us cool stuff like waterbottles, chamois lube, chain lube, etc...
    I even checked out that notubes.com website for custom wheels...If I knew anything about the hubs/rims/spokes that would be best for what I ride,that'd be great, but I dont....gotta research some more.

Brentster
    Jun 2007
    I don't see how you're going to get a wheelset that is better then what came on your $2,200 bike for $200.

I have 2 sets of wheels for my Epic: The stock ones, which work perfectly fine are used on the trails. I have a set of $200 Mavic Crossrides that I use on the street. The Mavics look great, however, I can't tell if they're better then the stock ones.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    NOW thats the thing. I dont know how much a new set of my stock wheels would cost or if they're even that good of quality since its the basic comp epic...I know the rear X9 der. is pretty good, not best, but good, shifters X7...decent, but not that good, stylo crank..good, but not best, etc...wheels...got NO IDEA. A buddy said he saw a stock epic wheel set on ebay for a $100 bucks so I figued spending twice as much, I'd get better wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brentster
    That's funny. Daiyarm says that spending OVER $500 is a waste, if you're not racing. You call him out on it as you're mentioning the fact that you're wanting to buy wheels just under $500. I guess you're following his advice. lol
    After tax + shipping...it'll be over $500. Especially if I go the custom built route.

Brentster
    Jun 2007
    "After tax + shipping...it'll be over $500. Especially if I go the custom built route."

If you're having them shipped, then most likely they would be out of state so there won't be any tax.

mtbr member
    I just purchased a set of 07 Mavic Crossride Disc wheels for my 07 SJ Comp to replace my 04 Crossland wheels. Within three years, I logged over 2000 miles on my Crosslands without any problems other than one drop of oil for a spoke that creaked in the hub. My only gripe that I have with the Crosslands is that clincher tires are very hard to mount on the UST rims. A tire with a wire bead is impossible to mount on a Crossland UST rim. So if you plan to use tube tires, I would recommend a set of Crossride wheels, which are not UST compatible. Here is a quick list of differences between the current offering of Mavic wheels:

Crossland Discs ($200.00+/- a set)
    Pinned rim joints, which are similar to the X317 rims.
    (24) Stainless Steel (S.S.) bladed spokes.
    Standard brass nipples, which uses a standard spoke wrench.
    Hammer hardened and drilled spoke eyelets in the rims.
    Clincher tire compatible only.
    FTS-L freewheel mechanism with sealed bearings and aluminum bodied hubs.
    Steel and aluminum quick releases.

Crosstrail Disc ($400.00+ a set)
    Welded (SUP) rim joint, which is similar to the X819 rims
    (24) S.S. bladed spokes which require a special wrench.
    Aluminum blind nipples, which tread into the exposed outer wall of the rim. The inner wall is not drilled so no special rim tape or sealer is required for UST tires.
    UST and clincher tire compatible.
    FTS-L freewheel mechanism with sealed bearings aluminum bodies hubs. A special wrench with required to adjust the play in the bearings.
    Aluminum and plastic quick releases.

Crossmax Disc series ($700.00+/-)
    All of the same components that the Crosstrails have except for (24) aluminum spokes.

What the consumer is paying for with each wheel set upgrade is less weight. The other thing I have noticed is that (24) spokes ride less harsh then the (32) spokes on the Specialized OEM wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    so the best comprimise for UST would be the crosstrail disc. OH...now I see. I dont care too much about the weight...I'm not a lightweight guy to start.

Thank you bwalton for the info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by daniyarm
    I don't race, and thae chances of racing are slim to none. This is $750 well spent IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by victim
    I don't race, and thae chances of racing are slim to none. This is $750 well spent IMHO.

How do you like the I-9's? I'm wanting to build up a set for the SS. Thats one of the few I haven't owned, but man, do they look good. I have buddies that swear by them.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by victim
    I9 wheels and a HG50 Cassette is just wrong. Sling a XT, XTR, or SRAM 990 cassette on there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    when i changed to the crossmax sl there was a very noticable difference between my stock epic wheels, first thing was the weight, the SLs were 500 grams lighter for a start, also the stiffness and general rideablity also changed, i upgraded everything on my epic, i went for a whole XTR drive train lighter seat and post etc but the only noticable difference was the wheel change, in fact ive gone back to using my stock saddle that came with the bike, that phenon sl was just killing my ass

anyway my point is if your going to put money into upgrading, your wheelset should be the one you pay most attention to as thats the place you feel the only real difference

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolm4
    How do you like the I-9's? I'm wanting to build up a set for the SS. Thats one of the few I haven't owned, but man, do they look good. I have buddies that swear by them.
    They are tremendous. Light and stiff. I am especially impressed withe the stiffness. Seem to be tough too. Highly recommend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast