mtbr member

Whats your air pressure in rear?

Im new to FS, not to get too personal, but what pressure are you all running in the rear shock, and what is your weight?
    I have a Stumpjumper FSR with Fox float R
    I am 175lbs, I tried 160, 190 psi and didnt notice much change.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by prod
    Im new to FS, not to get too personal, but what pressure are you all running in the rear shock, and what is your weight?
    I have a Stumpjumper FSR with Fox float R
    I am 175lbs, I tried 160, 190 psi and didnt notice much change.
    I don't know how to interpolate your weight with mine. I have a '04 model (it has 100mm rear travel). I'm 230 lbs plus gear. I run it about 250lbs.

I think you should adjust your shock so that the sag is about 20-25% of the stroke length..... What this means is that when you just sit on the saddle, the shock slides 20-25% of it's possible length.

The way you do this is:

1. Put the o-ring closest to the head of the shock.
    2. Sit on the bike smoothly (try to prevent any bouncing)
    3. Get our of the bike.
    4. Measure how much the o-ring was displaced, and it should be around that percentage.

If you get too much distance, put some more air. If you get too short travel, remove some air from your shock.

If you put the valve and remove it, you're going to hear some air out. This is normal, it's because the air that is in the pump get's out. When you reinstall the pump, you will hear some air out, and see that you're about 10 psi lower than what you inflated it. This is normal, and this is the air that leaves the shock and enters the pump.

mtbr member
    I have the Fox ProPedal that came with my "05" FSRXC

Currently I have it setup at 210psi and I weight 155lbs. I would set it higher but I cant twist it off any faster.
    the problem that i have have is that I like my rear shock to feel stiff. The OEM setting for my weight is 160psi that gives me about 40% sag way to much for me and I bottom out alot, but the 210psi gives me only about 5-10% sag a little on the low side but i hardly bottom out now at the cost of a harsh ride it dosent do got on high speed close ruts.

I really need to send it out to be pushed.

mtbr member
    rzo - Mine is also a 2004, is it safe to put 250lbs in? I thought the max was around 230.

acar - you must be taking some big hits, I think the shock is designed for XC to absorb the small bumps and keep the tire on the ground. It does sound like you need to make a change.

When I bought the bike, the guy assembling it told me the o-ring should move about 1/4", not 1/4 of the total travel. I dont even know where the limit of travel is, do I just jump on the bike to bottom out the shock and see where the o-ring settles? I dont even know if I can get it down that far.
    Its a brand new bike, im still uneasy about breaking something. Yeah, I know, I'll get over it.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by prod
    rzo - Mine is also a 2004, is it safe to put 250lbs in? I thought the max was around 230.
    I think that the max pressure for the Float R is 300lbs, which I think I read it somewhere. I don't have that resourse, but I think that it was probably at the Fox manual. I've been running the shock at that pressure for a year at that pressure and it has worked perfectly, so I don't think there should be a problem....

mtbr member
    Max on the Triad is 285psi.

The Fox manual recommends a 1-to-1 ratio. I weigh 198, but with the shock set to 200, the ride was too soft. I kept bumping it up and now have it at 230psi and love it. Big jumps, roots, rocks, etc. are all asborbed well.

The Dude Abides
    Quote Originally Posted by acaridans
    Currently I have it setup at 210psi and I weight 155lbs.
    That's crazy, I weigh only slightly less than you and run the recomended pressure (can't remember the exact amount but it's much, much less than 210psi) from my fox manual, and my sag is only about 25% to 30%. Are you sure your sock is working correctly?
    And also if you go to fox's website, you can download manuals from past years
    This aggression will not stand, man.

mtbr member
    250lbs with gear = 270psi on triad................

Should have gotten a coil-sprung bike.......... ooops

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    FSR04 ProPedal: 160lbs -> 190psi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theeric
    That's crazy, I weigh only slightly less than you and run the recomended pressure (can't remember the exact amount but it's much, much less than 210psi) from my fox manual, and my sag is only about 25% to 30%. Are you sure your sock is working correctly?
    And also if you go to fox's website, you can download manuals from past years
    There could be something wrong with it. Its the first air shock ive owned so i dont really have much to compair it to.
    I just played with it a little, centered the rebound dropped it to 160 got about 35-40% sag, moved it to 200 and got about 10-15%. Other than that it seems to work just fine other than being a little rough on small rutts. Maybe ive got an oddball that just likes more air.
    Last edited by acaridans; 03-24-2006 at 12:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What PSI do you 2002-4 Enduro owning guys use?