Howell, MI

What's the right Stumpjumper FSR size for wife @ 5'4"

My wife is 5'4". Looking to get her a used 06, or 07 Specialized Stumpjumper. Should I go with a Small, or a Medium. Stem length can be easily changed.

I know they make Women specific designs, but were sticking with the standard issue Stumpjumper FSR, as I may occasionally ride it.

I'll pose this same question in the Specialized forum as well. Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Mark
    Mark D
    Giant XTC29er 1
    S Works Epic

mtbr member
    5'4". Small. Even then it may be too large. I'd guess it has about 29" stand over and a 22.5" top tube.

If you want her to ride and ride trails comfortably and confidently, confirm the fit. Track down the geo for an '07 and fit her to the bike.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO
    Last edited by G.G.; 11-19-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    I figure the odds be fifty-fifty.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My wife is about the same height, I have a medium 07 stumpy and it's kinda big for her. But she hasnt tried it since I switched to a shorter stem. I think it can work though, you have the stem length/height and seat adjustment to play with. With the seats you can get a short seatpost for her and adjust the seat railing forward.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'3" and on a small '08 Stumpy FSR. I've hit bottom on the seat post. When I first got it I wanted to take the post/saddle down a little but, since I couldn't (without cutting the post), I left it as is and I'm comfortable on it now with a slight bend in my knees at the bottom of my pedal stroke. Mine also has a 90mm stem instead of the spec'd 75mm for a small frame. I'm comfy on it. Hope that helps!

Howell, MI
    Quote Originally Posted by oaba35
    I'm 5'3" and on a small '08 Stumpy FSR. I've hit bottom on the seat post. When I first got it I wanted to take the post/saddle down a little but, since I couldn't (without cutting the post), I left it as is and I'm comfortable on it now with a slight bend in my knees at the bottom of my pedal stroke. Mine also has a 90mm stem instead of the spec'd 75mm for a small frame. I'm comfy on it. Hope that helps!
    It did help. All of you!

The small seems to be the way to go. My hope is that if it fits her perfectly I can make it work for myself on occasion. I'm 3" taller, so If a 2nd seat post and saddle were on hand. (Thomson Layback) coupled with a quick release post clamp I could have a fully active alternative to me Epic?
    Mark D
    Giant XTC29er 1
    S Works Epic