mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Whats my chain specs?

I have a 2011 Stumpy HT 29er Comp 3x10 Sram. I need a back up chain and need the specs to purchase one. Width and link seperation, number of links.

Here is the inco from Spec site on the bike.
    KMC X10, 10-speed, w/ reuseable Missing Link, nickel plates

Can I use a Campy Centaur 10s chain? It looks to be like a nice chain.

mtbr member
    Any 10 speed chain should work fine. Prices will vary quite a bit. If you're worried about weight, spend more.

mtbr member
    Any 10 speed chain should be ok. A new chain comes with more links than you'll need.

Count the number of links in your current chain (total number of outer plates x2 is easiest) and use a chain tool to shorten the new chain to the correct length for your bike.

One thing that's useful to have in your saddle bag when riding are a couple of additional "missing links". If the chain snaps then you can use a "missing link" to repair it and get you home - even if you aren't carrying a chain tool.

cougarbait
    kmc x10 sl
    most other 10spd chains are a pain to install due to the lack of a true reusable missing link
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Something I've just started doing is carrying an extra "quick link" on rides. KMC makes on as does SRAM. The SRAM links are single use while the KMC links can be reused.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    There's an interesting thread about 10 speed chains and "missing links" here:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...hp?f=3&t=38283

KMC "Missing links" are available seperately so that you can use them with other brands of chain besides KMC.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=25439

mtbr member
    FWIW, I've been using a KMC Missinglink on my Shimano Durace road chain for the whole summer. No problems to report. I'm not a small dude either and my 10 second max is over 1500 watts.