Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What's The Latest Thing You've Done To Your Specialized Bike?

719K views 2K replies 930 participants last post by  Bikeworks 
#1 ·
Picked up some Salsa Flip-Off Skewers to replace the standard Specialized skewers that haven't felt right since a muddy race in April. After my most recent ride, the skewer on the front wheel was so loose I could turn it while closed. Freaked me out a bit so I thought I'd throw on somethin fancy:

In Red for my Silver 07 Epic Comp :thumbsup:

What's your latest change/upgrade?

See less See more
#2,412 ·

NOBL TR37 with onyx hubs. What a huge difference from the stock rims/hubs. And my God the sound of silence while riding is absolutely amazing. Crazy how the confidence rises when you can hear the ground contacting the tires. Idk still could be a placebo affect but the difference is real

Hopefully this kills my upgradeitis for a few months..... Even though cane Creek has some nice suspension that would look good on this thing...... My wife is going to murder me

#1,506 ·
Thanks! I haven't had a chance to take it for a real ride, but I did spend about 5 minutes toying around on some single-track behind the shop. Weight is as advertised pretty much to the gram, finish is gorgeous, no problems installing tubeless tires. Acceleration is definitely improved, and the whole bike feels much more solid when cornering. I never noticed how much other rims flexed when cornering until I ran on these! It's also nice that they don't require any special tools.

But yeah, to sum up, no surprises, they work exactly as well as you'd expect for a $900 wheelset. =)

#1,524 ·
SLX Crank, SRAM cassette, Time pedals, Cane Creek

I'm a rookie. Found this stumpy for $300 bucks. Frame was solid and forks and rear float seemed to be in good condition and that was worth the cash to me. Since I bought the bike, i have bent the cogs on the original strong arm crank and jammed the chain so badly into it that it through me over the handlebars into a rock bed. Wasn't having a patient day :madmax: Since then, I have replaced the old shotty headset for a basic cane creek 40, new SLX crank, Time pedals, SRAM Cassette and some weirwolfs. All of which I have yet to get on the trail but I at least have taken the time to jam through the range of that new drivetrain. Pretty smooth and I couldn't be happier for the money spent.Oh, new grips too but nothing fancy.

Attachments

#1,528 ·
I'm a rookie. Found this stumpy for $300 bucks. Frame was solid and forks and rear float seemed to be in good condition and that was worth the cash to me. Since I bought the bike, i have bent the cogs on the original strong arm crank and jammed the chain so badly into it that it through me over the handlebars into a rock bed. Wasn't having a patient day :madmax: Since then, I have replaced the old shotty headset for a basic cane creek 40, new SLX crank, Time pedals, SRAM Cassette and some weirwolfs. All of which I have yet to get on the trail but I at least have taken the time to jam through the range of that new drivetrain. Pretty smooth and I couldn't be happier for the money spent.Oh, new grips too but nothing fancy.
Since you've replaced the cassette you may need to replace the cassette also. Take the bike for spin down the street and see if it jumps once you start pedaling and put a bit of force on the chain

#1,809 ·
2011 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 26

Replaced my stock grips with Specialized BG Contour Lock Grip (seems to be helping with my hand pain)

Replaced my front tire (Purgatory) and back tire (Captain Control) with Maxxis Ardent Maxxpro Downhill 60A Wire Bead. Was really tired of multiple flats, etc

Changed from stock 100mm stem to 90mm (too many crashes over the handlebars.. LOL)
May need to go shorter yet... possibly 70mm or so.

Replaced stock pedals with Crank Brothers Mallet 3's.... sweet!

Lost my external dampening adjustment knob/tool from the front of my Rockshox Revelation RL.... bummer. Anyone know of where I can get another? Didnt' know you were suppose to pop these off after adjustment...

I think I lost it on a trail called the North Abyss at Boyette. I'm not ready for "black" trails.. I need to master all the "blues" first... Ony been MTB'n for about 6 months and I'm on up there in age so the falls really hurt... heh. :p

#1,820 ·
Wheel Upgrades to my FSR

It's been a good week for my FSR! I found a great deal on a Stan's Arches/3.30 wheel set, then picked up some new tires/tubes for a long-needed change. Figured I'd give new rotors a try as well.

Here's a before / after pair of pictures, plus my pile of loot. I'm still awaiting a set of Halo bolt on skewers (will only use one on the rear).

Front tire: Specialized Purgatory Control 2.3 - $50
Rear tire: Specialized Ground Control 2.2 - $50
Tubes: Performance Forte "Light" - $20 (total of 3)
Wheels: Arches on 3.30 hubs - $360 closeout
Rotors: Alligator Serrated 160mm F/R - $28 / pr
Bottle Cage: Elite - $12
Other: misc tools and my first new floor pump since 1997!

Haven't gotten it out for a ride yet. I need to adjust the brakes for the new rotors (not certain how to do that) and bed in the rotors.

Before weight: 28.66lbs
After weight: 27.74lbs
Had hoped to drop a little more weight than that but I think I increased the performance fun, regardless. Can't wait to ride this weekend!

Attachments

Reactions: torque29er