mtbr member
    May 2005

What's a good price for an 06 Stumpy??

I'm in the market to buy one and I was wondering what a good price would be? It would be the base model stumpjumper. Thanks.

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

Comp. at $2,000

I went with the Comp. and got $200 off list price for an 06, $2K out the door. I looked on Specialized website and the only differences I could see between the base Stumpy and the Comp is the rear derailer (XT - XTR) and the brakes (Avid mech BB7 - Avid hydro Juicy5). My choice was easy as LBS only had the Comp in stock, but I would do some reasearch as to the differences between the brakes, the Juicy's get rave reviews and I am a believer also, but I'm coming from v-brakes so anything was going to be an upgrade. Is the difference in brakes worth $200???? My 2 cents: anything below MSRP ($2,000) is a good deal, this bike is in high demand and most LBS are directed by Specialized as to the price they can post. If you are looking for more of a deal, go ebay or classified ads. You will love the bike, I saved up for 2 years and have been completely satisfied.

Never worng!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec.Black
    I'm in the market to buy one and I was wondering what a good price would be? It would be the base model stumpjumper. Thanks.
    $1,800

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Okay, here's the deal. I went to the LBS today and they had an 05' and an 06' in stock. The list on the 06' was $1400 and the 05' was $1300. I didn't deal on the 06' but I did on the 05'. The dealer told me he would take my black 05' Rockhooper comp in on trade with an additional $689 for the 05' Stumpjumper. Is this a good deal or what? In turn this means he would be giving me $610 for my 05'. Should I take the deal???

mtbr member
    After comparing the different lines, I went with the Base Stumpy (this one really needs a name). I hated the feel of the Juicy5's on the Comp and the Mech BB7's on the Base model. The other difference was the XT vs. XTR RD which was that big of a deal to me. The Talas and Juicy7's on the Expert was also just not worth the extra cost.

I paid $1600 for the Base Stumpy, upgraded the brakes to Hayes HFX-9 at cost (I love these things) and sold the BB7's locally for $100. I replaced the seat, grips, installed my pedals, and replaced the Adrenaline/Resolution in the rear with a Cinder. Now the bike is perfect and there are no upgrades in the immediate future.

Spec.Black, I would look at the 06 Stumpy. The minor changes between the 05 and 06 would be worth $100. BTW, an 06 for $1400 is an awesome deal. With the LBS giving you a significant trade-in-value for the RockHopper, I wouldn't hestitate on this.

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

Stumpy FSR or FSR XC

big price difference between the two. Was the 06 a Stumpy FSR, triad rear, etc... Check out Spec web site. The 06 Stumpy FSR is kinda a rose anondized color. I have the frameset, and pictures really don't due the color justice.

I don't believe that $1400 stumpy was the $2k FSR version, that's a 30% cut...too much for an 06 model. Good Luck

Never worng!
    Okay, here's the deal. I went to the LBS today and they had an 05' and an 06' in stock. The list on the 06' was $1400 and the 05' was $1300. I didn't deal on the 06' but I did on the 05'. The dealer told me he would take my black 05' Rockhooper comp in on trade with an additional $689 for the 05' Stumpjumper. Is this a good deal or what? In turn this means he would be giving me $610 for my 05'. Should I take the deal???
    Is this the same shop where you bought the bike May last year for $689?
    Also how about the name of the shop in MI that's selling the "06 SJ FSR for $1,400?
    Looks like I may be going on a road trip.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sorry people, I guess I should have been more clear? I was referring to the Hardtail model Stumpjumer, not the FSR Stumpjumper. So does the deal sound good or what? This is the same place where I bought my Rockhopper for $689.

I'm pretty sure if someone were looking at buying the FSR Stumpjumper from this place they could probably get it for around $1750-$1775 ish out the door. They really like to work with their customers.

Never worng!
    Sorry people, I guess I should have been more clear? I was referring to the Hardtail model Stumpjumer, not the FSR Stumpjumper. So does the deal sound good or what? This is the same place where I bought my Rockhopper for $689.
    Money wise with the trade-in sounds like a super deal.
    Amazing they'll give you that much on a trade-in.

If they're that great to deal with I'd see if they'd swap the brakes out for Avid BB7 disc.
    Maybe they would work a deal out on that for you even if it cost you a little more.
    Then you'd have one sweet bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Verewolf, I never thought of that but that sounds like a good idea. It would essentially be the "Stumpjumper disc" then right. I'm now thinking about just going with the 06' model. What would a good price be for the rim brake version (msrp $1400) and disc brake version (msrp $1600)?

Never worng!
    Verewolf, I never thought of that but that sounds like a good idea. It would essentially be the "Stumpjumper disc" then right. I'm now thinking about just going with the 06' model. What would a good price be for the rim brake version (msrp $1400) and disc brake version (msrp $1600)?
    Phew!
    Hard to say. Seems like the LBS you're dealing with is more than fair.
    Just my opinion - but once you're looking to spend over $1,000 I'd really consider a FS.

Just some prices at local dealers:
    '06 SJ FSR (base) $1,800
    '05 SJ Expert $1,725 (good deal)

Even this before negotiating a price
    FSRxc Comp (Mechanical Disc) MSRP $1500

I rode a HT for a year and there were some rocky gnarly trails where I wished I had a FS bike.
    Put an order in last week for the SJ FSR. Can't wait till it gets here.

If your LBS takes your Rockhopper in trade I'd definitely look at a SJ FSR or FSRxc Comp.

Just my opinion.