The Other Dude

Whats a good Demo Wheelset/Build?

Well I was snowshoe this weekend and ended up putting 2 nice flat spots in my rear wheel on the stock wheelset. What wheelsets/builds do you guy run/recommend? I am out for what appears to be most of the season with a knee surgery tomorrow, so I am really not in a hurry. I like the deemax's, but a custom wheelset would be cool too. Should i reuse the hubs, or go with something like an I9, Hope, King or other wheelset? Its it a big difference in stiffness if I go with a quick release rear hub as opposed to a bolt on? Any suggestions/ideas are appreciated!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Calm Like a Bomb
    mavic ex823 laced to hope pro 2 would be good...
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

Now with More Wood
    Halo Freedom Rims on Hope Pro II. (I have the bolt-on version, can't really tell the difference with the skewer but I just feel more reassured with the bolt-on somehow...). The Freedom Rims are really strong and stiff, and just the right width for DH...

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    I personally ride I9 on dt swiss 6.1 and they are the sickest wheel-set ive ever run on my demo. Not only do they look sweet but they're light enough to be used as a race wheel and strong enough for any gaps (ive landed crooked on a 30ft. road gap and they were still tru). They look sweet too, but they'll cost ya. got mine on ebay for a little under $900. hope this helped. here's the exact build i have http://www.industrynine.net/official/DHFR.html

The Other Dude
    sweet, i was kinda looking at the i9 stuff as they really look sweet, and i have heard nothing but good things about them, what about going tubeless on the rims? Can it be done? If not, its no big deal, as i have always ran tubes on my dh bikes, but was thinking about trying tubeless with the new set.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Hadley hubs laced to Mavic 721 ex's

mtbr member
    721's on chris king with ghetto tubeless

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyn7
    Hadley hubs laced to Mavic 721 ex's
    +1 for the hadley hubs,the quality on these hubs are absolutely amazing,as for rims im running ex729 as i managed to put a tyre lever through my dt6.1 rim trying to get the tyre of.

also they use standard spokes which means not hunting for silly special spokes,and the 135mm x 10mm bolt on axle is nice and stiff.

The Other Dude
    What do guys think about the Stock Specialized Hubs on the 08 Demo 8 I? The hubs seem alright, maybe i could lace up some mavic 823's to the stock hubs, or should i just go all out and get total custom set?

Calm Like a Bomb
    if u are looking to save weight then i would swap out the hubs too
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member
    custom is the only way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10
    if u are looking to save weight then i would swap out the hubs too

Actually they weigh considerably less than a lot of other offerings out there (like Hope, Hadley, King, Phil Wood, etc.)

I say save some money and keep the hubs till they blow. The internals are decent (I believe Spesh is using DT swiss internals in most if not all fo their hubs) the bearings are sealed. Lace them up to some mavic 729's and you'll have a very tough wheel. Mavic rims are usually a lot more true from the factory and as a result they build up very easily and are nice and burly. I'd use DT swiss 14/15 competition spokes, they're strong, butted, and light.

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    Actually they weigh considerably less than a lot of other offerings out there (like Hope, Hadley, King, Phil Wood, etc.)

I say save some money and keep the hubs till they blow. The internals are decent (I believe Spesh is using DT swiss internals in most if not all fo their hubs) the bearings are sealed. Lace them up to some mavic 729's and you'll have a very tough wheel. Mavic rims are usually a lot more true from the factory and as a result they build up very easily and are nice and burly. I'd use DT swiss 14/15 competition spokes, they're strong, butted, and light.
    i'm not so sure about them weighing less than the hope pro 2's....when i was looking at wheelsets not too long ago, the e540 wheelset weight was as follows:

front = 970g
    rear = 1250g
    TOTAL = 2220g (very respectable)

now ex823 laced to hope pro 2 with dt swiss competition spokes weighed (nipples included)

front = 956g
    rear = 1160g
    TOTAL = 2116g

the ex823 rim weighs 657g, while the e540 rim weighs 540g

so even with a heavier rim, the ex823 with hope pro 2 still weighed less than the e540 wheelset....leading me to believe that the hope pro 2's are much lighter than the spesh hubs...
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

The Other Dude
    yeah, i think the 823 is the rim to go with, now i just gotta decide on hubs, i am not too concerned about weight with the DH bike, i am in the air between hope or king hubs, the hopes are MUCH less expensive, and i see that i can get the rear hope to be a bolt on like the king, guess i will take a run down to the shop and see what the price will be for each, although i have had Chain Reaction cycles build some wheels for me and they have always done a good job.

mtbr member
    still no consideration for the hadleys as they do a 10mm bolt through rear.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1802746/

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1802743/

and the rear has titanium freehub.

The Other Dude
    the hadleys are pretty freakin sweet, i see www.ride-this.com is doing a deal on them laced to mavic 823's for $690. The only other wheelset that caught my eye was the Transition Revolution wheelset with the 10mm solid quick release axle complete for under $300, thats pretty amazing, but no sure about the quality. Like i said, i am out for the season do to the recent knee surgery, but i want to have the bike all built up and ready to ride when the time comes, im looking for a new wheelset, to have the shock pushed, and to either get a newer fox 40 or have my current one rebuilt with the new internals.

dirt visionary
    Those specialized hubs are rebadged DTswiss hubs. As for the Transition rims I say pass on them if your over 160. I have a pair on my dhr and while they are a great value they just don't compare to a 823 in terms of strength. My 28spoke deemax wheels hold up way better and don't get knocked out of true anywhere as quick .I have even slammed some huge rocks with low pressures or cases a few good jumps and not had any issues with the 823 .

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    Those specialized hubs are rebadged DTswiss hubs. As for the Transition rims I say pass on them if your over 160. I have a pair on my dhr and while they are a great value they just don't compare to a 823 in terms of strength. My 28spoke deemax wheels hold up way better and don't get knocked out of true anywhere as quick .I have even slammed some huge rocks with low pressures or cases a few good jumps and not had any issues with the 823 .
    i'm 200+ and the revolution 32s have held up great on my br and double....that said, the 823s are still the better choice
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I just had 823's laced to Hadleys on my Demo 8. VERY SWEET WHEELS. I destroyed the stock DT 5.1's on the 2008 demo 8 II. The new wheel set is doing really well on the tough rocky Arizona downhill terrain. Running tubeless too. Like the Hadley's A LOT!

The Other Dude
    Sweet, well i went to the dealer yesterday and pulled the trigger on a set of Hadley hubs laced to mavic 823's. They only had the rear hadley hub instock that i wanted (36 hole, 10mm axle) and they did not have the front 20mm in stock. I have an 08 Demo 8 I and got the gold color hubs(it has a goldish orange color on it now and looks pretty sweet so i decided to stick with it). The shop owner though says he knows a few guys at hadley, and was looking for a good reason to call and catch up with them, so he said he was going to call them monday to see if he can get the hubs any faster if he goes directly through them, although i am really not in a hurry as i am out for the season anyways, and the shop is pretty busy this time of year, so I am sure a wheel build for a guy that is not riding wont get placed at the top of the priority list, but who knows. Thanks for all the advice and info, i have the feeling i am going to be happier with the Hadleys over the Kings......can anyone comment on the noise of the Hadleys? I am hoping they are quieter than the hopes I have on my AM bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You'll like those wheels. I went with gold too. The sound is distinctive and pretty cool but I don't notice it on the trail, just when coasting through the parking lot. I've never used Hope's though so I can't provide a comparison. My bike is dirty (been riding afterall but here are a few picks with the wheels.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/DrawM...&maxHeight=480

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ok....somehow I lost the front hub pic so here it is now

mtbr member
    the click takes a good while to get to its fullness but boy its nice,for sure not as noisy as a pro 2 but just nice,must be the titanium freehub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by konut
    the click takes a good while to get to its fullness but boy its nice,for sure not as noisy as a pro 2 but just nice,must be the titanium freehub.
    The "click" or "ratchet" noise you speak of will increase as the oil within the hub decreases. It'll never get as loud or ratchety as some of the other brand hubs so don't expect that. The titanium has nothing to do with it. Definatley a positive with Hadley hubs are they're ease of servicing. It takes me 15minutes tops now to service my hub which means now "clicking" noise for me, just a well oiled smooth hub. Here's a good article from sicklines if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.sicklines.com/tech/howto/hadleyoverhaul/

mtbr member
    the titanium gives it a very slight and distinct sound.

and it doesn't sound tatchety just a nice quality click with a whir sound at high speed.