mtbr member

What's the difference between the FSRxc and Stumpy FSR suspension?

I've been researching rear suspension designs and as far as I can tell, they both have four bar with horst link rear suspensions.I know that the XC has the old Stumpy FSR suspension design. The only difference I notice is the placement of the shock and the amount of travel. The local LBS only has the XC so I can't ride both to compare. Do they ride differently because of the shock placement? Is the shock placed vertically just so that they can get more travel? What's the point of the redesigned suspension on the Stumpy?

FSRxc

Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    You are correct both bike utilize a 4-link Horst design with the 100mm of travel for the FSR XC pro and the 120mm for the SJ comp. Also the geometry on the FSR XC is more relaxed compared to the SJ layout (i.e. both the HT and ST angles on the XC are 72+ degrees and the HT and ST angles on the SJ are less then 70 degrees). The SJ's layout is more geared for climbing while the FSR's is more neutral for climbing and downhill runs. Also you will be more stretched out on a FSR XC then on a 08 SJ. And probably the most important factor is that the SJ has larger (more durable) bearings in the dropout and on the seat stay/link than the FSR XC's frame, which means it is a lot stiffer laterally. With the FSR XC pro costing around $1800.00 and the SJ around $2050.00, I would go for the SJ because it has a better fork. Another option would be to purchase a 07 SJ FSR comp for around $1,700.00, which has the beefed up rear end and a Fox fork.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, bwalton!

mtbr member
    Actually, the SJ with 68.5 degree HT would be considered more relaxed than the FSR XC with 69 degree HT. The SJ is also a more stretched out design (TT length: 611mm FSR XC vs. 625mm SJ FSR). Although frame weight is not listed, I am sure the SJ is lighter than the FSR-XC. No matter what though, the SJ will outperform the FSR XC in every aspect and come with nicer components.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    Although frame weight is not listed, I am sure the SJ is lighter than the FSR-XC. No matter what though, the SJ will outperform the FSR XC in every aspect and come with nicer components.
    Substantially lighter in fact.
    - KERSH -

mtbr member
    Actually, the SJ with 68.5 degree HT would be considered more relaxed than the FSR XC with 69 degree HT. The SJ is also a more stretched out design (TT length: 611mm FSR XC vs. 625mm SJ FSR). Although frame weight is not listed, I am sure the SJ is lighter than the FSR-XC. No matter what though, the SJ will outperform the FSR XC in every aspect and come with nicer components.
    If only I could afford the SJ

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    just hold out and keep saving, i want to buy an sx2 to have some fun in the downhill park with, every knows theyre really expensive, for me they are anyway, they had a brand new big hit one in the shop yesterday, very useable bike i liked it and can have it for just over 1000 euros, the sx will cost me 3000 euros, i can afford the big hit now but im just going to keep on saving until i can afford the sx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azndude51
    If only I could afford the SJ
    Don't buy anything now and just continue saving. It will be worth it in the end. You could always search for an 07 Stumpy. Some say its a better bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Don't buy anything now and just continue saving. It will be worth it in the end. You could always search for an 07 Stumpy. Some say its a better bike.
    Do tell!

I'm preparing to pull the trigger on an '08 SJ. Why might the '07 be a better bike?

Thanks.

MTBGremmie
    Quote Originally Posted by davidseven
    Do tell!

Yes, do tell!

From what I hear the seat angle has increased on the '08- possibly a longer seat tube/shock location issue. This could cause a shorter cockpit (more upright seating), which can be a good thing, but also a more forward position on the bike. For downhill, this may not be as good (unless you get your @ss behind the seat).

I'm not really sure, just scuttlebutt.

Anyone else?

mtbr member
    I can save up for the Stumpy but IDK if I can justify buying a $2400+ full suspension MTB when I live in the flatlands of the midwest.

mtbr member
    Beyond all of the component groups and suspension parts the frame must fit well to you body otherwise you will not like the bike. Before you shell out $2000.00 for a 08 SJ, make sure you are comfortable riding the bike. The 08 SJ has a similar geometry to old 04 SJ, which did not fit me well. My 07 SJ is a lot more comfortable for me and therefore a lot more fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Re

I have an '07 and I just test rode an '08. IMO the '08 seems more agile and efficient, and overall 'faster'. The '07 I own is a large, and I thought the one I tested was a medium, but it turned out being a large (it just felt smaller). I did not get to take the 08 on any substantial downhills, but my guess would be that the '07 would be a little better in that respect.

mtbr member
    There have been numerous discussions on the differences between the 07 SJ and the 08 SJ. Where the 07 was in between the Epic and EnduroSL in performance, the 08 SJ leans a little more to the Epic side.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There have been numerous discussions on the differences between the 07 SJ and the 08 SJ. Where the 07 was in between the Epic and EnduroSL in performance, the 08 SJ leans a little more to the Epic side.
    Thanks.

It sounds like the '08 is the bike for me - I didn't even want to test it, because I was more interested in an XC-style bike than an all-mountain bike. I was pleasantly surprised to find it both plush and responsive.

mtbr member
    i have an 07 stumpy and i love it. Climbs like an epic, descends like an enduro. It can handle anything you throw at it; i have done so 5 or 6 foot drops no problem and some 10 ft or so gaps with no problems. Suspension on the 07 is excellent, but i have heard the 08 is even better....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azndude51
    I've been researching rear suspension designs and as far as I can tell, they both have four bar with horst link rear suspensions.I know that the XC has the old Stumpy FSR suspension design. The only difference I notice is the placement of the shock and the amount of travel. The local LBS only has the XC so I can't ride both to compare. Do they ride differently because of the shock placement? Is the shock placed vertically just so that they can get more travel? What's the point of the redesigned suspension on the Stumpy?

Suspension is a major difference as well as frame material which is why the weight on the Stumpy is so much lighter.

Although frame weight is not listed, I am sure the SJ is lighter than the FSR-XC. No matter what though, the SJ will outperform the FSR XC in every aspect and come with nicer components.
    Ditto

mtbr member
    I rode an '06 XC for about 5 months and thought I had a very good riding bike, then rode a buddy's Trek EX7 and thought I needed a better bike. Ended up getting an '07 SJ Expert and couldn't be happier. The SJ feels like a MUCH better bike. Faster, lighter, and more agile. Sorry that's not a very technical answer, but I haven't regretted upgrading for a second. HTH

christthn
    i ride an 08 xc expert and i think it is ace, it handles uphills, downhills, jumps and dropoffs with ease. I have rode my friends stumpumper and still find my xc a better ride all round, it just feels so fast and exact compared to the sj. i know i made the right choice for myself, although i do intend to upgrade the rear shock to a fox triad.
    i kinda get the vibe that a lot of people slate the xc out of hand but at the end of the day they are both great bikes and try and give them both a try before you buy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by christthn
    i ride an 08 xc expert and i think it is ace, it handles uphills, downhills, jumps and dropoffs with ease. I have rode my friends stumpumper and still find my xc a better ride all round, it just feels so fast and exact compared to the sj. i know i made the right choice for myself, although i do intend to upgrade the rear shock to a fox triad.
    i kinda get the vibe that a lot of people slate the xc out of hand but at the end of the day they are both great bikes and try and give them both a try before you buy.
    Yeah, from the reviews I've been reading, the XC can be improved with a new rear shock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i couldnt be happier with my XC. granted im looking to build a SJ or epic in the future but thats only for when/if i go to ride outside of my area. for where i live-3 hours away the XC is plenty of bike.