mtbr member
    Jul 2006

what's the diff between men and women's bics?

i looked at the geometry of the 2007 men's and women's SJ Expert and its identical.
    so what's the difference between this model for women and men other than color
    and saddle?
    thanks

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Usually the top tube has more bend and the bars are usually a little bit shorter.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    The top tube length will typically be a little shorter as well. If the suspension has a spring versus air, then they include a lighter spring on the fork in the stock form on the women's specific models. Some models come with a little smaller grip and the tires that are mounted may be a lighter tire than what would come stock on the men's bike - depends on which bike you're looking at though.

If you want to see the goemetry differences you should look at the 07 bikes on the specialized site. Look at the geometry of an FSR and you'll see that they post the men's and women's designs on the same table so you can see the differences more clearly.
    Last edited by NCtrailX; 11-27-2007 at 02:39 AM.

mtbr member
    I find that the womens bics usually have a cover over the blade so that they don't get cut up too badly, and come in more girly colours like pink. I have seen some of them with a cute little holder that suctions onto the tiles, so that it is always to hand. Apart from that, they are usually roughly the same design
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Women typically have longer legs and shorter torsos and so the WSD frames have longer seat tubes with shorter top tubes and a more proportionate head tube length. The shocks are valved for a lighter weight rider. Everything else is bolt on WSD stuff with stupid names and hideous colors.

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by avikoren1
    i looked at the geometry of the 2007 men's and women's SJ Expert and its identical.
    so what's the difference between this model for women and men other than color
    and saddle?
    thanks
    look again..shorter top tube, shorter wheel base, higher or lower stand over (depending on size), narrower handlebar width, stem length shorter (depending on size), crank length shorter (depending on size), seat post length shorter (depending on size)
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

fight the system
    ditto on the shorter top tube and different paint job. I bought a womens version cause it fit me better as i have long legs and a short torso yet I can pee standing up and have a beard.
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

I AM I AM
    You know my last bike was 16" Giant Trance, and it led me to realize that the ideal TT length for me was 560mm effective - which is what the Trance had. I was reading a bike mag yesterday which had done a review of the Womens Stumpy, and well guess what TT was 562mm!

I reckon it's great that they are thinking of us, but I'm not totally convinced on WSD designs - for your average woman (5ft7) anyway. With the specialized (apart from shorter bars etc) the Womens Medium comes across very similar to the Mens Small. With air shocks these days suspension set up for lighter weights is less of an issue too.

Nothing will make riding more pleasurable than having a perfect fitting bike, so if this means going for a WSD desing then go for it, don't let the pink stripes discourage you