mtbr member
    Nov 2009

what wheelset should I get for my RH comp?

(2009 rockhopper comp disc.)

I ride trails, mostly crosscountry. No mountains or downhill, but I like jumps. I dont want a wheel so light that it breaks on a two foot jump, but when i'm on the flats I need something light to not wear me out
    shopping on bicyclewheelwarehouse for a new wheelset. currently looking at any of the following. Any suggestions are welcome I've never done this before

mavic 317:
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=45

mavic 321:
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=26

mavic 521:
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...&productId=147

WTB dual duty XC:
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...&productId=203

sun rhyno lite
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=31

or Azonic Outlaw, which apparantly are strong but realllly heavy

btw this will be with a 20mm thru axle on manitou minute super

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    and should I go with 100 or 120 for my fork? stock is 100

Religion = Non-thinking
    Which hubs do u plan on using?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    jsut shimano xt's for now, maybe some hopes at a later date

cougarbait
    of all of those, the 317. I think dt swiss 4.2d is better though
    get supercomp spokes if you are going with BWW
    azonic outlaw is way overkill for what you are doing, and they weigh a sack of bricks

100mm, no more, no less. also, thru-axle on a rockhopper is also overkill.. finally that fork isn't a good match for the frame

it's not a wise idea to plan on upgrading hubs later down the road. very cost ineffective
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree, for what you are doing the 4.2d would be perfect (though the name is different now430 I think). Comp spokes and xt hubs would be fine as well. As far as the fork goes 100mm is what I would stick with. Look for Rebas if you are price conscious or Fox if not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    dt swiss are a little too much for me right now. wheelset on bww is 350. mavics are 250. ughhh it all adds up! I could get the 4.2 rims by themselves for 70 each on jenson, then let my LBS build them i guess.

Im prolly gonna stick with the 317. These are the hubs I'm gonna go with (still going with 20mm front)

in blue

whats KT lite? cant find anything about those

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    lambda, why do you say the fork is a bad fit?
    heres the one I was interested in:
    http://jensonusa.com/store/product/F...n+Fork+09.aspx

its a damn good deal, but heck if its a bad choice I could save and go with a recon or something and get the dt swiss for 350. (and QR axles)

thing is, I want to try an air fork, but I cant find a real good deal on a recon air. the reba in my price range was the 2008 reba team on pricepoint but the reviews on here show that to be a pretty fail prone fork. And fox I cant find for under like 500. Should I just step down to a tora...? If you guys know any shopping secrets (besides buying used), let me know

and my wheel thread becomes a fork thread, lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    and are XT hubs better than my stock ones? if so thats good enough for me

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by DJpattiecake
    lambda, why do you say the fork is a bad fit?
    heres the one I was interested in:
    http://jensonusa.com/store/product/F...n+Fork+09.aspx

its a damn good deal, but heck if its a bad choice I could save and go with a recon or something and get the dt swiss for 350. (and QR axles)

thing is, I want to try an air fork, but I cant find a real good deal on a recon air. the reba in my price range was the 2008 reba team on pricepoint but the reviews on here show that to be a pretty fail prone fork. And fox I cant find for under like 500. Should I just step down to a tora...? If you guys know any shopping secrets (besides buying used), let me know

and my wheel thread becomes a fork thread, lol
    there is a reason why forks are often 50% off. I remember shopping for forks almost a year ago.. "holy crap, 50% off!! must buy!!" For example, you can get marzocchi 55s for under $230, but it is very much likely to implode. I don't think 20mm is necessary at all for XC, but I suppose it can't hurt. Look up reviews on that fork to find out why it's 50% off. If all seems well, I guess it's an okay buy. (don't know if the dampening system on that fork is any good though.)

by the way, all else equal, stay away from centerlock
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    point taken on centerlock.

and yeah ive read through tons of threads on these manitou absolute dampers. Its marked down because they have a new absolute plus, which is available for 50 bucks and is an easy swap. the manitou support guys are pretty active on these forums and they say try the original damper out, if I run into any problems, then do the upgrade myself or at my lbs.

and as for the 20mm, i just see alot of threads where people say once you try it you'll love it, as long as you dont remove your wheel alot. its a good bit sturdier and feels great, so i'm gonna try it out

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/manitou...solute-review/

Religion = Non-thinking
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...&productId=178

how about this for $400?
    DT 4.2D rims
    DT Comp 2.0/1.8 Spokes in Black
    BWW Hubs, not many reviews but i hear they are pretty good. better than XT stuff. definitely lighter, POE maybe like ~30?
    super light @ 1580g
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    louis that would be a great deal but I need 20mm in the front. gonna look into the dt swiss. and those hubs are beautiful too

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    this is what im about to order for about 450

wtb SD (which i think is wtb laserdisc superduty) and a red pure xcr on the back

oh, i wanted red front and back but options for that are hope, chris king, and some others that arent available on BWW. I called them and they said BWW pure xcr hubs wont be available in 20mm til a few months down the road.

Anyone have experience with WTB hubs? looks like a pretty serious and pricy (~150) hub

let me know what yall think
    Last edited by DJpattiecake; 12-03-2009 at 09:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i was able to find a great deal on ebay recently. got some mavic 717 with chris king hubs for $440 shipped. i cant say enough about these hubs. the instant engagement around technical tracks is great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    that is pretty awesome, know any sites like BWW where you can customize and order?

edit:
    i built a front wheel dt swiss with a red hope pro2 on www.prowheelbuilder.com for like 196. if i can just order a rear wheel from BWW that would work. their prices on hubs are great

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i know alot of guys are running Stans with his hub. if i didnt find this deal i was probably going to go that route. Stans 355's with his hubs for $435.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    meh, i went ahead and ordered the above. maybe another day soon when i want a nicer front hub or when this one falls apart i'll order just a front with a Pure XCR 20mm when theyre available or a hope pro2 in sexy red
    Last edited by DJpattiecake; 12-03-2009 at 11:52 AM.

cougarbait
    I got my DT4.2 limited (+$30 per rim), DT revolution, DT ano red nip, Hope Pro2 for $450 shipped..
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    whered you order that steal?

cougarbait
    Chain Reaction Cycles, I think I pointed them out when you first inquired into wheels, but I may have forgotten
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    nah first ive seen, and these prices are awesome. gonna call BWW in the morning. these are better spokes and the hubs I want for cheaper overall price.

only thing is the swiss 4.2 black is out of stock but limited edition white is there.... dunno if i want white.

would the mavic 717 xc disc be equivalent in quality to the 4.2d?

edit: oh they say the 32hole 4.2d black is discontinued
    Last edited by DJpattiecake; 12-03-2009 at 05:47 PM.