mtbr member

what is this vibration coming from the rear?

'99 - '01 Specialized Enduro with stock rear rim (it's the metallic red Mavic rim) and Specialized hub.

This never happened before, so I'm gonna describe it as best as I can. Half way home from my LBS, I started to notice an intermitent vibration seeming to come from the seatpost, but I knew it wasn't the seatpost. I thought it might be coming from a rubbing rear V-brake pad, but it wasn't it. Then I thought it might be from my crank bearings. I don't think the problem is there. When I was about a block away from my home, the vibration became more obvious and constant. I thought my rear wheel might fall off. The vibration seems to be coming from the rear tire, but when I stopped and spun the tire off the ground, I couldn't see any big wobble. When I got home, I checked to see if the rear wheel was on tight. It was. I then spun the rear wheel again. What I noticed was a faint vibrating sound or something like someone putting a piece of paper on the spokes as the wheel spins, that sort of sound. So is it my rear hub bearings giving out? When I ride the bike, the vibration seems to travel up the seatpost, and I can feel it.

Can I still ride with a bad rear hub, if that's the case?

Btw, LBS did not touch my bike at all.

Now with flavor!!
    Sounds like you need to replace the bearings in your hub. If it does it when you coast but not when you pedal, that's definitely it. It's kind of a pain but it can be done. I had the same problem with the stout hub that came on my 00 enduro.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hahahahahahahahhahahahaha
    "vibrations from the rear"
    lolololololololol

I feel better now, thank you