mtbr member
    Mar 2013

What to use if 2Bliss tape fails?

I got a hole causing a leak on the brown 2Bliss tape that came on my Roval Traverse 29 wheels.

What should I use? The Stan's strip with build in valve looks like the easiest method.

mtbr member

I use Gorilla Grip tape on top of the 2bliss tape and it works great, $8.00 a roll at Home Depot
    2013 Epic Comp 29er
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2011 Langster
    2011 Roubaix

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Whoops... I already removed (and damged in the process) the tubeless tape since I figured it was shot.

mtbr member

The gorilla grip tape will still work, just cut the strips to the width of the rim
    2013 Epic Comp 29er
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2011 Langster
    2011 Roubaix

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    At our shop, we pull the 2Bliss strips out and replace with Gorilla Tape every time. The 2Bliss tape sucks and we have had lots of issues with it not sealing or with failing later on. Just overlap the valve hole by about 6" or so and you should be good to go.

Gorilla tape has never failed in the hundreds of tubeless conversations we have done and all of our personal bikes use it and never had any issues with it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

MTB B'dos
    Gorrila tape or Stans yellow tape, both work well, Gorilla tape is cheaper. As said, that 2Bliss tape is crap.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Gorrila tape or Stans yellow tape, both work well, Gorilla tape is cheaper. As said, that 2Bliss tape is crap.
    Is there a reason why to not use the stans strips with built in valve stems? Cost?

I'll get some gorilla tape on the way home. Will 1" be fine? That's 25.4mm and my rims are 25mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by swan3609 View Post
    At our shop, we pull the 2Bliss strips out and replace with Gorilla Tape every time. The 2Bliss tape sucks and we have had lots of issues with it not sealing or with failing later on. Just overlap the valve hole by about 6" or so and you should be good to go.

Gorilla tape has never failed in the hundreds of tubeless conversations we have done and all of our personal bikes use it and never had any issues with it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    So 6" total or 6" on each side of the valve stem? In other words, start 3" below and end 3" after or 6 and 6? Will 1" (25.4mm) tape work for my rims? Online specs say my internal width is 24mm but the tape I pulled off said 25mm on it.

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, 1" Gorilla tape will work fine. As to overlap, I've never measured it, but usually go 2 or 3 holes to each side of the valve hole. Don't use the strips as they add bulk to the channel, so if you're using tyres that are already a tight fit, that gets even tighter and in general tape is all you really need, adds lots less weight too.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Try to get your hands on the new Roval rim strips. They are 133% better than the blue 2Bliss tape Roval wheels originally shipped with.

I don't know the weights of the aforementioned solutions, but if you're going to be a weight-weenie in only one spot on your bicycle, the wheels are definitely the place to be one.

http://twentynineinches.com/wp-conte...7/DSC00966.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian View Post
    Try to get your hands on the new Roval rim strips. They are 133% better than the blue 2Bliss tape Roval wheels originally shipped with.

I don't know the weights of the aforementioned solutions, but if you're going to be a weight-weenie in only one spot on your bicycle, the wheels are definitely the place to be one.

http://twentynineinches.com/wp-conte...7/DSC00966.jpg
    Those are what I had already that failed

mtbr member
    You had the brown 2bliss "rubberbands" and they failed? I love those and find them way easier to install than any tape.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Those are what I had already that failed
    Oh man, don't know what to say. I can defend them to the death, I suppose, but if you're having issues, you're having issues.

You said there was a hole in the brown rim strip...now, if there's a hole in anything, it won't work. Have you tried using a rim strip that doesn't have a hole in it? (Not trying to be a wise-a55, just trying to get a clearer picture of your issue.)

For me, it's been night and day compared to the blue tape days. I've only had to use a floor pump to install, and have held air pressure for months.

Sorry for the troubles you're having.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian View Post
    Oh man, don't know what to say. I can defend them to the death, I suppose, but if you're having issues, you're having issues.

You said there was a hole in the brown rim strip...now, if there's a hole in anything, it won't work. Have you tried using a rim strip that doesn't have a hole in it? (Not trying to be a wise-a55, just trying to get a clearer picture of your issue.)

For me, it's been night and day compared to the blue tape days. I've only had to use a floor pump to install, and have held air pressure for months.

Sorry for the troubles you're having.
    Yeah that's what I meant in the thread title--what do you suggest when the brown tape fails and you have to replace it?

I just used some gorilla tape and it worked perfectly. Thank god for easy fixed. Let's just hope it lasts longer!

mtbr member
    Yeah that's what I meant in the thread title--what do you suggest when the brown tape fails and you have to replace it?

I just used some gorilla tape and it worked perfectly. Thank god for easy fixed. Let's just hope it lasts longer!
    Well, sounds like Gorilla tape works for you, so (no pun intended) stick with it. If you really wanna get to the nitty-gritty, weigh those two solutions and go with the lighter one.

Let me ask you again: Where was the hole on the original brown tape? Did it leak through the hole where the air valve goes through?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Your other posts didn't have that question in it but the hole (VERY small hole, barely visible) was about an inch away from the valve stem so I'm assuming it leaked there and the path of least resistance was the valve stem.

mtbr member

Your other posts didn't have that question in it but the hole (VERY small hole, barely visible) was about an inch away from the valve stem so I'm assuming it leaked there and the path of least resistance was the valve stem.
    Assuming the rim strip itself isn't compromised, you'll find that it works very well. I think any rim strip with a hole is a rim strip that doesn't work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk