mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Upset What tires should I run on my 07 epic expert???

Hey guys, first post yey!!!

I am currently running Specialized Fast trak pro's front and rear. I have had 7 pinch flats in like 2 months. Its F in ridiculous. I read these tires are terrible and constant flats which explains a lot.

What tires should I put on it ? I am not the best rider yet so I dont need the best tires. I just want something that will allow the bike to function as it should and are not always flatting!

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Run them tubeless to solve the pinch flat problem. The cost of 7 tubes would have paid for the conversion by now.

In order to better help you with tire choice, folks will need a bit more detail.

What PSI are you running your current tires at?
    What type of riding are you doing (racing, fitness xc)?
    What are our local trail conditions (hard pack, loose gravel, gnar rock gardens)?

You may want to ask this question over in the wheels and tires section.

I use stans with captain control tires. Works well for me in almost all conditions, except deep sand, others may have different opinions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the response Bikefoolery. I have stock xt swiss dt 430 rims..can I change these to tubeless??? How much $$?

I am currently healing up a elbow injury and havent even hit the trails more than a few times All my flats have been basically been through just normal street riding. I get home and later my tire is done!~ It sucks.

I would like a tire comparable to the ones I am running now without the pinch issue. I checked and many guys have similar issues with these tires. If I go tubeless can I still use this tire?

The psi I run has varried. Few times flats at 40 psi and the highest I ran was 55psi. Tires are rated for 80 psi

Appreciate all the help.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    1.95 Kenda Small Block 8s at 45 PSI (More of a MTB road tire than trails)
    2.1 Kenda Nevegal DTC at 35 PSI more or less (All purpose trail tire)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Sounds like you are happy with the tread pattern you have now, but need to get around the small puncture issue. The pro level of tire can have issues sealing up. My stock resolution pro tires on my 07 sj expert were too porous to work well. I'm not saying that yours will have a problem, but I've only had success with the 'control' level tires.

I suggest running a 'tubeless ready' tire. An example is the 'control' level of specialized tires. They make a version of the fast trak control for $45.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=35737

Specialized stands behind their tires with a warranty. If you got your bike from a LBS, they may be able to warranty them for the control version for a reduced price. (I have a good relationship with a LBS, not always cheaper, but great customer service is worth extra, especially with warranty issues)

For a tubeless conversion, you can look at going 'ghetto tubeless' (search on wheels and tire forum), or get a Stan's conversion kit, including: rim strips, valve cores, and solution. I suggest reading up on the process by searching the wheels and tires forum. They will have much better and more complete info then me.

I haven't flatted yet, lost air (once), but it has not stopped my ride. It does require a bit more maintenance to add solution once every 4 months(but you can choose when to do that). I still ride with a spare tube, but have not had to use it yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks so far guys. I really need to get caught up on all the aspects of the intricacies of the bike set ups possible.

I looked at the Kenda Nevegal tires and they seem like they would be a good choice for me to use both front and rear.

This next bit will forever make me a newb lol. When it says 26x 2.0 the 2.0 is the width of the tire right?

I currently have specialized 26x2.0 tires but can I run kenda 26x1.95.....26x2.1....26x2.25 tires or do I need to keep them at 26x2.0 as currently equipped so the new ones will fit the rims???

Sorry for such basic questions..bear with me pls

also what should I be looking to get a set of these kendas for? the best Ive seen so far is around 100$$
    Last edited by Swerven; 08-04-2008 at 11:10 AM.

mtbr member
    I just got a set of Fast Trak 2Bliss (non-LK) on my Bontrager Race Lite TLR wheels and I love it. I used to ride on Fire XC Pro, but constant patching and buying new tubes drove me insane. The new tires are fast rolling, great traction and I don't have to worry about flats too much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Your rims should be okay with larger tyres Swerven, but you'll have to make sure the larger tyres don't rub on the inside of the chainstays. Check the tyre clearance on your existing 2.0 Fast traks and if it's already tight, you might find you'll struggle to fit thicker ones without them rubbing on the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for ALL the help fellas. I just got a set of Kenda Big Block eights and the only problem is now my friend wont get off my Fockin BIKE!!!!
    Freedom for ALL .Resist the Bush doctrine!

Dirty nerotic bike whore
    I will tell you this the max clearence in the rear is 2.2 and the front is pretty limitless I have fun 2.4 but those kendas are pretty nice....

mtbr member
    running higher PSI should deter pinch flats

mtbr member
    Specialized stands behind their tires with a warranty. If you got your bike from a LBS, they may be able to warranty them for the control version for a reduced price. (I have a good relationship with a LBS, not always cheaper, but great customer service is worth extra, especially with warranty issues)
    I traded in my stock Resolution pros from my 07 Stumpy. (which I hated and had 5 flats in a month)
    I got a new set of Captain Controls 2.0 for free! Thanks LBS!
    From my fortress in Antarctica I watch the world die on my Sony Trinitron that's switched to channel 5

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just some follow up for anyone looking for AMAZING tires. The Kenda BigBlock 8's are super tight and stick lick crazy. Have not had a single flat since I got them and dont fear hitting any terrain and blowing a tube.

Sick Tires. got em both for 100 bucks.

Thanks for the help evr1
    Freedom for ALL .Resist the Bush doctrine!