mtbr member
    Apr 2006

What spare parts to buy? - Hardrock Sport

Okay...fairly basic questions about my Specialized Hardrock Sport.

I wan't to load up with a bunch of extra gear before I hit the trails. I need extra tubes, stuff for chain repair, etc. But I'm not quite sure what to buy.

In terms of replacement tubes, my bike has the standard 26 x 2.20 Enduro Sport tires. The specialized website has some replacement tubes for sale, but they list as "26 x 1.5/2.20". The 1.5/2.20 part is throwing me off...does that simply mean it will work for either size? Its a pretty big jump from 1.5 to 2.2, and I don't want to buy something that doesn't work. And can anyone recommend some other websites that sell 26x2.20 tubes? I haven't had much luck turning up other options / better deals on replacement tubes.

And second, what do I do for chain repair? From what I understand it simply involves breaking the chain (which I have a handy tool for) and replacing the busted pin with a new one. Problem is, I don't know exactly what type of pin I need. I've seen Shimano pins for sale online, but only for 9 speeds, and from what I understand my bike is an 8 speed. What exactly do I need to buy, and again, is there a handy website that I can buy the things from?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by SLyons
    Okay...fairly basic questions about my Specialized Hardrock Sport.

I wan't to load up with a bunch of extra gear before I hit the trails. I need extra tubes, stuff for chain repair, etc. But I'm not quite sure what to buy.

In terms of replacement tubes, my bike has the standard 26 x 2.20 Enduro Sport tires. The specialized website has some replacement tubes for sale, but they list as "26 x 1.5/2.20". The 1.5/2.20 part is throwing me off...does that simply mean it will work for either size? Its a pretty big jump from 1.5 to 2.2, and I don't want to buy something that doesn't work. And can anyone recommend some other websites that sell 26x2.20 tubes? I haven't had much luck turning up other options / better deals on replacement tubes.

And second, what do I do for chain repair? From what I understand it simply involves breaking the chain (which I have a handy tool for) and replacing the busted pin with a new one. Problem is, I don't know exactly what type of pin I need. I've seen Shimano pins for sale online, but only for 9 speeds, and from what I understand my bike is an 8 speed. What exactly do I need to buy, and again, is there a handy website that I can buy the things from?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    The tubes are measured from 1.5 to 2.2 and everything in between. So those specialized tubes will work or anything with that range from another brand.

if you want you can by some chain pins they either come in 9 speed or 8 speed. Although I don't know how much affect it will do if you put the wrong speed pin in. So just by some of the 8 speed pins. They are basically one long pin with a narrow center. The long portion of it just holds the chain together untill you press it in past the narrow center and then finally pressing the rest of the pin all the way. Now the part that was holding the chain together will be sticking out the other side, and so you just take you tool and brake it by snapping it off.

all of these item you can by from any bike shop or online retailer. If you go to the main page of MTBR you will see online retailers all over the sides, Jenson, CBO, pricepoint, etc. shop around there and get the things you need.

I am assuming you are preparing to buy the following, camelbak, mini pump, patch kit or extra tubes, trail multi tool and chainbreaker. These are some of the following I can think of right now, but I sure you already have these things on yours list.

Let us know if you have any other questions or if I missed something

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skate
    I am assuming you are preparing to buy the following, camelbak, mini pump, patch kit or extra tubes, trail multi tool and chainbreaker. These are some of the following I can think of right now, but I sure you already have these things on yours list.
    Thanks for the response. I was pretty much on the same page with what you said, I just wanted to verify everything before I go out and spend money

And yes, I ordered a CamelBak Mule online, I've got a mini-pump, multi-tool, and helmet. At this point I'm working on the extra tubes and chain pins just in case I ever need them.

I'm still highly debating and researching a ride calculator for my bike. I can get trail distances from the internet, but I'd still like to know what my bike personally says about what I did. I could easily live without one though, so I'll probably hold off on that for a bit longer. Its just an extra gadget that I think would be fun to have..lol

Specialized Rida
    Ride calculator is that the cycle computer?

Any ways pick up a cheap cyclecomputer to measure you distance and speed. You can pick up cheap ones a Performance bicycle for 20 dollars and they can go up to 100 dollars. the cheap ones work just as good.

ballbuster

Forget the pins

Buy a SRAM Powerlink. They go for about $3. They work with anybody's chains. I've never had good luck with the Sh¡mano press-fit and break replacement pins. Powerlinks work better, work without tools, and are re-usable. I've been running SRAM Powerlinks on my Shimano XTR chains for years with no problems on all my bikes.

Use one powerlink on your chain, so you can easily remove it for cleaning. Keep a few links of chain in your waterpack with two powerlinks. That way, if you bend some link plates through chainsuck or whatever, you can remove the bad few links of chain and add in your spares with the second Powerlink. You only need the chain breaker tool to take out the bad stuff.

Just be sure to get the right Powerlink. They have two: Silver for 8 Speed chains, Gold for 9 speed chains.

As far as innertubes go, just get one close enough. I find that trying to find an innertube labeled for say a 2.4 tire is nearly impossible to find. That said, I use regular 2.1 innertubes with 2.4 tires all the time and it isn't a problem. In fact, I use Performance Bike Lunarlite tubes all the time and find they are plenty reliable... and save like 1/4 to nearly 1/2 pound of rotating weight on your bike.... for $10. Just don't pinch them when you put them in.