Work Hard, Play Harder

What size SX Trail?

Hey guys. I have a question regarding sizing on the SX Trail. I'm 5'7" tall and not sure what size to order. I'd like to go for the medium basically just because I like the whole look of the bike better than the small with the curved TT, but I obviously can't base my decision on that. I owned an 04 Stumpy in a size medium and it always felt a little big to me. From checking the specs on specialized's website it seems like the medium SX will have a shorter TT than my old Stumpy so it might be the perfect fit. What size SX Trail do any of you guys around my height ride? I already have an XC bike and I'll be using this one for DH at the parks, some FR and even for riding singletrack sometimes. Any insight you guys can hand me will be appreciated. Thanks
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

fastdownhill
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice25gt
    Hey guys. I have a question regarding sizing on the SX Trail. I'm 5'7" tall and not sure what size to order. I'd like to go for the medium basically just because I like the whole look of the bike better than the small with the curved TT, but I obviously can't base my decision on that. I owned an 04 Stumpy in a size medium and it always felt a little big to me. From checking the specs on specialized's website it seems like the medium SX will have a shorter TT than my old Stumpy so it might be the perfect fit. What size SX Trail do any of you guys around my height ride? I already have an XC bike and I'll be using this one for DH at the parks, some FR and even for riding singletrack sometimes. Any insight you guys can hand me will be appreciated. Thanks
    I'd stick with the medium. You'll have more control. I had an xc large and then went to the medium. I have a medium now and I have so much more control.

Unit 91
    If you using it for DH/FR, ive heard a rule of thumb to always go one size smaller then your trail bike. I would almost say do a small. You are right at the brink probably of doing a medium or small. If you can get on a regular Enduro, try that out in both sizes if you can and then picture that fit being slightly smaller.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm 6' tall and have size Medium and it's perfect for Freeride/DH. But if I were you, I would definately get size S. Medium would be too big for you, atleast for FR/DH. But you could also test it and see what you think yourself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    we just got a medium sx 1 in the shop and it feels short. I'm 5'10" and I have a friend thats 5'7" that is interested in the sx. It felt good and tight for both of us. The top tube length should work considering the shorter stem you would run on a freeride bike.

The Other Dude
    Im 5'10" and have a large. I rode both sizes, and if i was doing mostly dh/fr on it, would have gone with the medium for sure, but i ride mostly all mountian/aggressive xc, or whatever they are calling it now, and the large just felt more comfortable to me. I put a 40mm stem on it for the days i know jumping and drops will be involved, and put a 90mm stem on it for those all day up and down adventures.

By far the SX Trail, is my favorite bike, and i my opinion is it is the best bike i have owned thus far.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

UNDEAD
    I'm 5'6 maybe 5'7 and I am on a medium 2006 SXT 1
    Don't get a small....they are TINY

Work Hard, Play Harder
    This is good to hear because I really want the SX Trail but I wasn't going to pull the trigger if the medium was too big. I just do not like the look of the small at all with that curved tt. It sounds like the medium will probably fit me well. Thanks for the input guys.

mtbr member
    Hi I am also looking at an SX Trail.
    I am 6ī and have an 35.4" inseam. I want to use it for epic rides/all mountain as I ride up before I go down because we have not many lifts here.
    Also there will be a couple of days at different bike parks.
    But I will climb a lot on this bike, so it shouldnīt be too tiny.

I currently ride a Medium Heckler. It feels very nimble but I think it is a little small for me. I have to extend the seatpost reaaaaally far to get in the right position for climbing.
    And also the Medium Heckler seems to have the exact numbers of the LARGE Sx Trail frame. At least when I look at the tables at santacruzmtb.com and specialized.com

How many inches of seatpost extension does the Sx Trail offer? Because of the split seattube, I guess the L frame would offer more "seatpost travel" because I could use a shorter post. I think Iīd like to lower the saddle at least for 5" for descending, is that possible on the SX Trail? I donīt want to crack my frame, therefore I will obey the minimum insertion marks.

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'd go for the medium. I'm 5' 8" and have a medium SX. If you get too small, it's all squirrely on you when you just want to cruise or do DH and too big will hold you back on the tech and freeride stuff. Medium works best for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    For DH the medium might be a better feel, since the top tube and wheelbase will be a bit longer than the small.This will make the bike handle a bit better at higher speeds. For FR, shorter TT and wheelbase would be better, IMHO.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]Intense 5.5 | Specialized SX Trail II | Kona Dawg Primo [/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm 5'7 as well, I am getting a small SX trail III and a small Demo 8, I already have a small/short ver of the SX (4x/DS frame) and it fits perfectly.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Hi,
    just test rode a Medium SX Trail with a 60mm stem for a short spin.
    Felt nice, but almost smaller than my Medium Heckler. And I sometimes feel the Heckler is a bit small, at least on long rides I feel that way.

I would have to put the seatpost really far out, couldnīt lower it THAT much for DHs.

I think it might be better for me to get an L and put a shorter stem on it.
    At least I think longer frame and short stem feels better than shorter frame and longer stem.
    What do you thinK?

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just put together my 07 SX trail in size Large. I'm 6'3" and it fits me perfectly. Can't say if it would fit you though. If you're doing a lot of DH with it I would go for the M, but for longer rides maybe the L would be better.

AussieLostInNyc
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf
    Hi,
    j
    What do you thinK?

Greetings Znarf
    You have long legs for your height. I have the same inseam and I am 6'4" and a bit.
    I ride a stock Large SX3 with the 40mm stem for freeride and put a 90mm 10 degree rise for all my other rides. These involve lots of pedalling for 4hrs. I need to push the seat all the way back on the rails and when I climb I jack the seat up real high. Looks weird but what you going to do?
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

mtbr member
    Hi,
    youīre right Gumby, I have somewhat strange proportions. My legs are really long, the torso is rather short. Arms are relatively long too.

Iīd need a bike with a short top tube and a long seat tube.
    My Medium Heckler works only because it has a non interrupted seattube, I jack my seat up really high. Looks strange but works. But on the Heckler I can lower it almost 10", thatīs great for dirt jumping or super technical dh. I guess I could live with a bit less adjustability.

The problem on the SX is the interrupted seat tube. I put my 410mm Thomson post into an Medium 07 Sx Trail frame, because I would have to jack the seat really far up for trailriding I couldnt remove much of the post, therefore one canīt lower it that much. It was ok.
    So I would probably have to use a telescopic post. Or get Large. But the Large frame has a long top tube. Bikeparks wouldnīt be as much fun I guess.

Maybe I should look at another frame, bad thing is: Most newer frames, such as the Nomad etc. have long top tubes and shorter seattubes (nomad has in M only 17" seat tube)

Greetings Znarf

AussieLostInNyc
    I always feel cramped on my friends intense..
    That feels like it has a short TT but he is tall also and jacks the seat way up.
    What about a 6.6?
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

mtbr member
    Iīd love a 6.6, but I live in Germany and prices for US bikes are insane over here.

A 6.6 is almost twice the price compared to the US. I am a student, I work hard besides my "work" at the university, I could afford an SX Trail Frame which is about 2000$ over here. A SC Nomad costs 3250$ (that is frame only, with float shock. NOT a complete bike)

(Iīve been thinking about importing a frame, now that I see the € prices converted into $, the difference is HUGE, even with full tax and customs Iīd get a frame one class "better" bad thing is, most dealers are not allowed to ship overseas, therefore I would have to find someone who walks into a shop, buys a frame and ships it to me, or I should fly over to the US and pick one up hihi)

Greetings Znarf

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Size wiswe how does the SX compare to the Stumpy? My medium Stumpy was definitely too big for me. The TT was longer that I'm used to. I figure the sx in a medium should fit ok though.