mtbr member
    Mar 2006

What size stumpy is for me - M or L ?

Hi,

I've finally decided on a stumpjumper fsr over the cannondale rush. I've yet to decide on the size though - I'm 5.9 with a 32" inseam. My current ride is a giant nrs M 18.5" and it feels cramped in the cockpit. What should I do - parking lot rides are just never long enough to get a good feel for a bike. My feeling is for the large (?)

Thanks
    Josh

mtbr member

Compare your top tube lengths...

First off you should compare the toptube lengths of your current frame to the Stumpy. You could probably ride either one depending on your stem choice, and there's certainly people your size riding mediums, but most important is feeling comfortable, so if you feel better with the extra reach by all means go for it!

Note that the stumpy will come with a layback seatpost, so that's going to extend the cockpit a bit. If you want a more upright pedaling position maybe ask the LBS if you can ride it with a straight post...or at least push the seat forward on the rails. Just make sure whatever seat position you choose that your able to get behind the seat for the sketchy stuff - unless you really don't think it'll be necessary for you riding style in which case all the more reason to get the comfy big cockpit.

-kcavt

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hi, Josh. Here's a similar thread I started the other day you can read if you want. It has some good ideas in it.

Stumpy FSR For My First Mountain Bike

As I'm in a similar pickle I'm very interested in your thread and in your eventual decision. Good luck!