mtbr member
    May 2005

What size stumpjumper?

I'm 5'10 1/2" tall and I was wondering what size bike others ride in the hardtail stumpjumper. I am torn between the 17" and 18" frames. The 17" I can also get for an awesome price and the LBS said they could switch out the stem for the handlebars and it would give me the same top tube length/stretch length that the 18" frame has. The stand over height is good on both of them. Also how many inches do people recommend for stand over height between yourself and the top tube? Any other thoughts/ideas/suggestions that I am missing are welcomed. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

sizing is very personal, but my opinion..........

When I started biking, I preferred slightly larger frames.
    Many years go by, I get older maybe wiser, and now I prefer the smallest frame I can be comfortable with, Why:
    Lighter
    More agile
    But beware: A smaller frame will be less stable. Its wheelbase will be shorter and require more skill in certain situations, going downhill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Stumpy HT size

I'm 5-10", 32" inseam and average length arms-I just got an 18" SJ HT and it feels great. I agree that the smaller sized frames are less prone to frame flex. Which ever size you choose, you'll be very happy with your choice.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec.Black
    I'm 5'10 1/2" tall and I was wondering what size bike others ride in the hardtail stumpjumper. I am torn between the 17" and 18" frames. The 17" I can also get for an awesome price and the LBS said they could switch out the stem for the handlebars and it would give me the same top tube length/stretch length that the 18" frame has. The stand over height is good on both of them. Also how many inches do people recommend for stand over height between yourself and the top tube? Any other thoughts/ideas/suggestions that I am missing are welcomed. Thanks.
    I bought a rockhopper comp (06) and I got a 17" and it fits like a glove. I know the stumpjumper has different specs. But I am 5'10 1/2" tall also. I have a 30" inseam. I would get the 17" if I were you.

mtbr member

Its not just cockpit size...

I'm chiming in late, but something important that should be acknowledged is that while you can get the cockpit the same size on either frame you mentioned, the bottom bracket position will change in relation to your hips, and that will affect pedalability. Basically, the slacker your effective seat angle, the less efficient your pedaling is going to be. This leads to the common comment that when you're between frame sizes, the bigger one is going to be better for more XC oriented riding and more stable at speed, and a smaller frame will be more nimble in the technical stuff, but as speed increases will be more squirrly underneath you since the contact patch of the front wheel is all that much further beneath you.

I bet you could probably fit on either frame. There's a common trend these days of people riding shorter stems even for XC (i.e. over 110mm stems are becoming less common). So some of this comes to what kind of riding you think you'll be doing. If its slower speed stuff like New England singletrack you might prefer the small frame. If its epic ups and down out west you might be better off with the bigger frame. I would think of it that way more as opposed to frame flex and wieght. Being comfortable is going to make you 100x more efficient than saving a few grams or avaoiding a little flex in high load circumstances.

Good luck!

-kcavt

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the replies. The type of riding I will be doing will mostly be for workouts. The terrain is more flat than anything. I'm located in Michigan so the terrain is flat for the most part (a few hills but nothing major like out west!). It will be all XC riding. I weigh 235lbs so I want something that will be strong and not too much flex. Like I said I can get the 17" for a great price ($999) because it's an 05' whereas the 18" would be an 06' for about $300-$400 more than the 05' model. The bike shop is supposed to have the stem changed by this monday so I will ride it and decide. I hope it works but if not it's back to the drawing board.

BTW, I have a 2005 Rockhopper Comp with a 19" frame (feels too big thats why I want a different bike) and I was wondering what you people think would be a good selling price. It has no scratches, dings, dents, etc...The bike could be sold as never used/new because of it's excellent condition. I took it for 3-4 light rides on paved roads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I am just wondering how you like your Stumpjumper Hardtail? It looks like most people are going with the FSR version, but I think the hardtail looks like a good deal.

mtbr member
    I ajm 5'10 and 1/2, 32 inseam and I have an 18" SJ HT. I tested a 19", but I like the way the 18" feels. I think it will just come down to your personal preference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hill
    I am just wondering how you like your Stumpjumper Hardtail? It looks like most people are going with the FSR version, but I think the hardtail looks like a good deal.

I got an 05 stumpy HT and it's great. It certainly has helped me improve my riding over my previous bike. I swapped to a longer stem when i got it and now it's fits like a glove. I have started doing some races on it as well, and it is a nimble, light and quick stead, especially considering it is a 21" frame (I am 6'4"). It also performs pretty well over the rough stuff, but obviously a FSR is much plusher. I will be getting a F/S sometime in the next year, but I will not get rid of my Stumpy. I love it too much.