mtbr member
    May 2005

what size, quck reply please.

I went to the lbs today and was looking between a 15 and a 17 inch stumpy. Im 5'8 and the 15 felt kind of cramped but the 17 felt a little big. My old bike was a 17 inch stumpy and that felt fine but this new 17 feels bigger (maybe i need to do more fine tuning). Standing over the tt, i have about 2 inches of clearance for the 17 and alot more on the 15. Is it better to make a small bike bigger (change stem and seat) or make a big bike smaller?

Ride Like the Wind
    I personally would recomend the 17" frame,I ride the 2007 stumpjumper and was thinking of going with the smaller frame but I had the guidence of an vereran shop mechanic with me as well as the the advice of the bike shop I bought from and they all said go with the XL stumpy.I am 6'2" with my legs being relatively shorter than my torso and arms which I think was making the L "feel" like the better fit.Two years later and the XL feels great.That is my personal insight so take it as is or not.

Ride Like the Wind
    Thought I would add that the L that I rode was cramped as well.When turning,the heel of my hands would scrape my knees which was a huge factor in my realization of going with the XL.At that moment I realized that I was'nt riding bmx bikes anymore and that mtn bikes just have a bigger feel to them for traversing mtn trail and terrain over extended riding distance while sitting vs. standing as in bmx style riding.Obvious difference I know,but that's the way it went down....

Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ek9jdmhb
    I went to the lbs today and was looking between a 15 and a 17 inch stumpy. Im 5'8 and the 15 felt kind of cramped but the 17 felt a little big. My old bike was a 17 inch stumpy and that felt fine but this new 17 feels bigger (maybe i need to do more fine tuning). Standing over the tt, i have about 2 inches of clearance for the 17 and alot more on the 15. Is it better to make a small bike bigger (change stem and seat) or make a big bike smaller?
    idk between models, but i am 5'8.5/9 and have a 19" Rockhopper and it fits me perfectly.
    Specialized 05 FSR XC Comp: Modded
    Specialized 08 FSR XC Comp: OEM
    Cannondale M700: In pieces

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Keep in mind seat position, fore and aft, can also play in how a bike fits.
    I would recommend visiting another shop to get a second opinion. Also bringing your old bike wouldn't hurt as you could use it as a reference.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    well I went with the 17. I know that I really liked my last sj and that was a 17. Fit wise, its not that different on paper. I just need to set it up properly. I went around the block a couple of times and im so out of shape. here are some pics.