mtbr member
    Mar 2012

What size camber to buy

HI
    looking to buy a new 2012 camber comp 29er
    my problem is sizing and i cant test any because in CYPRUS there is no local boke shops which stock them.
    Im 184cm tall (6 foot) and currently ride a scott voltage 35 size XL size.
    Shoudl i go for the XL or The L.
    Any help would be much apreciated.
    Thanks

Competent User
    I'm 5'10" and ride the medium. I have relatively short legs (30" inseam), and it fits great. It's bit of a long bike, so my instinct would be to lean towards large, because otherwise, it's going to feel like a tractor trailer.

mtbr member
    I am 5-11, 32 " in seam. I bought a large, it fits perfect. I would buy a large.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I test rode a Camber and thought it seemed a little bigger than other Specialized models I've owned in the same size. I concur with others that the large is probably your best bet.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    6'4". I ride an XL and it feels "big" to me... definitely not an XL.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am 6.0 and ride a large

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi thanks for the replys. I'll look to buy a large. Another quick question shoul I go for a discounted 2012 camber comp or get the 2013 camber. Both are same price thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The 2013 is a significantly different bike in terms of components. It has a Monarch front fork and a Reba rear shock with Autosag, whereas the 2012 has Fox front and rear with no Autosag. Brakes and brake levers are different. Rear derailleurs and shift levers are different. Cartridge bearing is upgraded for '13. The front tire model and size are different. Perhaps there are other changes of note.

The question that I would be asking if I were in your shoes is why did Specialized make such significant changes to the bike from one year model to the next? I can think of several theories but a company like Specialized , IMO, tries to improve the bike year over year and from what I've read and heard, their employees are passionate about the bikes. They ride the bikes themselves, listen to feedback from their dealers and the riders on common complaints, warranty issues, etc. So, if these new components and the other changes for '13 address known issues that the bike had in '12 and make it better, then certainly I would spend the extra dough for the '13 model.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by abroom View Post
    Hi thanks for the replys. I'll look to buy a large. Another quick question shoul I go for a discounted 2012 camber comp or get the 2013 camber. Both are same price thanks
    The '12 comp is Way better specced than the '13 base model. Fork,shock, cranks, etc. are all a step up, and at a level where you shouldn't be hankering to upgrade. BUT, the wheels are the original hi lo hubs and the rear free hub has a dubious record. If you are buying new but with an original warranty you should be eligible for some sort of warranty if you have problems. Mine, on an '11, are still going fine but I expect them to grumble at some point.

I'd rather deal with a hub that needs changing than end up with a budget coil fork, budget crank,etc. and a heavier bike. You can look up the specs for the '12 in the Archive section of the Spesh website and make up your own mind. But I'd grab the Comp and run away grinning....

Competent User
    Yeah, the frame is supposedly better, lighter, stiffer, but the components are a step down. So, pick your poison?

In the end, it's cheaper to not get a case of upgraditis, like I did with mine. I've replaced almost everything, except the fork and shock. And I want to replace those too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    Yeah, the frame is supposedly better, lighter, stiffer, but the components are a step down. So, pick your poison?

In the end, it's cheaper to not get a case of upgraditis, like I did with mine. I've replaced almost everything, except the fork and shock. And I want to replace those too.
    Quint nails it. the entire bike is BRAND new for 2013. Having ridden both the 12 and 13, I wouldn't worry about the spec as the 13 rode MUCH better. Just my opinion, but I did decide to buy an aluminum 2013 over a carbon 2013 because it rode better and is within a pound in weight of the carbon (same spec).
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have just bought the 2013 Camber Alloy. I am 6'7" and got the XL frame. It truly is a large bike.
    Apparently, the angle of my legs is still not perfect, but it does the trick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for all the help.
    Overall if I get 2012 or 2013 both are great bikes. And I'll get a size large. I'll post some pics when it arrives.
    Thanks again