mtbr member
    Oct 2009

What size 29er to buy?

I am curently riding a 19" Kona Kula Primo hardtail.I want to order an Epic Comp 29er but I am unsure of sizing between 26" wheel Kona and Epic 29er.The easy way would be to ride an Epic 29er,however my LBS had a fire and their new shop will not be open to March .I want to order now and I am unsure about medium or large.I am 5' 11' long legs,short torso.Any input would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Whats the top tube length on the Kula? Take that measurement and get the the closest one in the Epic size, that'll be pretty good estimate. Stem length may change and probably will to get the size "just right".

29ers have a standover concern too, but with your long legs, I doubt that'll be an issue. Short Torso + Long legs = smaller frame with a crazy long seatpost

mtbr member
    Definitely good advice to match TT lengths.

You're gonna dig that Epic! It's a sweet ride!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    For what it's worth...

I am 5'9" w/ 34" inseam. Could have went either way a Medium Spec Epic 29 or Large. Went with Medium, and close to max mast on the seat post. LOVE this bike.
    If you weren't born a thoroughbred, be the fastest donkey you can be! ltrsports.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    With the long legs you might be a large. I am 5"10 with short legs and usually ride mediums in specialized.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

What size 29er to buy,

Thanks all for your imput you have been a great help!!!!!!!