mtbr member

What shock would you replace the Suntour SR with on the 2011 Hardrock 29er

Ok, so I am starting to beat on the shock somewhat and it feels like it starting to give which I will bring back into my LBS when it finally craps the bed (although it hasnt yet). So my question is this, I will probably work out a deal to get something different to replace it. I want something I can beat up pretty good, and wont break the bank....

So what are my options and what options come with it

let me know

thanks
    Protect Extreme Sports Athletes - Extreme Sports Protection
    Real Estate - Tampa Foreclosures

mtbr member
    Typical mistake ... I did the same

I bought a hardrock last year and kept it only a few months to then purchase a Rockhopper.

The Suntour stuff as well as Alivio and Altus derailleurs are crap. Im not talking about the crankset,its a shame.

So exactly like me,what you will try to do first is to change the shock and then you will realise that you want to change almost all the components.

I was lucky enough to sell my Hardrock almost the same price than what I paid.

Think about it before buying a new shock. You could very well place your money on something worthy.
    Life is short-Live it full throttle !!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve121
    Typical mistake ... I did the same

I bought a hardrock last year and kept it only a few months to then purchase a Rockhopper.

The Suntour stuff as well as Alivio and Altus derailleurs are crap. Im not talking about the crankset,its a shame.

So exactly like me,what you will try to do first is to change the shock and then you will realise that you want to change almost all the components.

I was lucky enough to sell my Hardrock almost the same price than what I paid.

Think about it before buying a new shock. You could very well place your money on something worthy.
    Thanks for the info...but a bit late. I already upgraded a bunch of components and am feeling pretty good about the bike now (its not a Hardrock anymore...nor a Rockhopper). Anyway, the main purpose of this bike is for me to get back into this sport and then come next year this time...upgrade to something else, so my upgrade path is kinda set but am having a good time with the bike right now. I toyed with the Rockhopper at first when I was buying, but since the 2 seemed very close...I figured I could save some money upfront (the wife was there) and upgrade as I go.

Anyway, the shock is kinda the last thing for a while (ive put about 600 miles on it so far) and am loving the exercise. (this is a prove to the wife that im gonna do this so when I want to spend a few thousand bucks on a bike she doesnt bang me over the head with Monkeybar handlebars calling me crazy).

Anyway...what are you running on the Rockhopper? and which Rockhopper did you get?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    The components on a Rockhopper aren't really much better... Its a slightly better initial purchase, but not worth going from once you already bought the Hardrock.

I replaced the SR Suntour on my 2010 Hardrock with a Reba. I was also considering a Tora for the price - I just came on a great deal on the Reba. I've replaced a good portion of the components on my Hardrock, its an entirely different bike at this point. Love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn
    The components on a Rockhopper aren't really much better... Its a slightly better initial purchase, but not worth going from once you already bought the Hardrock.

I replaced the SR Suntour on my 2010 Hardrock with a Reba. I was also considering a Tora for the price - I just came on a great deal on the Reba. I've replaced a good portion of the components on my Hardrock, its an entirely different bike at this point. Love it.
    Agreed....most of the stock on the bike is gone. I still have the rims (lets see if I can taco them, but Im not a jumper...I like trail riding). That Suntour just feels like its gonna give...it seems alot more spongy now for some reason. Then after the shock probably gonna start taking away from the bike like switching over to a 2x9...I love it too...thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn

Would love to see a picture of the bike now...can you put one up?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My 11 hardrock sport disc, pretty much new all over. Currently am in the process of converting it to Single Speed, waiting on the parts should be here tomorrow. Also put on some Race Face bars, Race Face Stem, Wellgo Pedals, Sunline Lock on Grips, and BBG Bashguard. Next up i will most likely change out the fork and the wheels, but both have held up good so far. The wheels are just plain heavy need something alil lighter.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rmasse10
    Would love to see a picture of the bike now...can you put one up?