mtbr member

What new model XTR Derailleur for an 05 sworks epic?

Hey guys. I'm looking to upgrade my front and rear derailleurs to the XTRs. I know there is a carbon version, but is the normal XTR just as good as the carbon? Also which model numbers do I need for each? I know there is a short cage and long cage and what not, I just don't want to get the wrong ones. Thanks in advance all

Mike

for three!
    Mar 2008
    The carbon caged one is their new derailleur, the "shadow" they call it. The differences are it's not rapid rise and it's supposed to shift more "positively" than their standard derailleur. (somewhat like SRAM i hear) Personally i'd go for the shadow, because it's new, i like sram shifting, and it looks awesome (M972 is the model). They have the GS and SGS models in each one and the GS is medium cage and the SGS is long cage. Either one would work fine, if you have an 11-34 cassette you'd be better off with long cage. For front derailleurs it's really your call between M970 top swing or M971 down swing. Personally i'd go for the M970 because it's lighter and is supposed to shift a smidge better. I have the down swing which works fine, i'm sure you can't really a difference.

mtbr member
    Thanks so much KM.