Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Pedal Power
    Aug 2006

What makes the Epic so "fast"?

I'm reading all over the web about the Epic being a super fast XC bike. What makes this thing so fast compared to the Stumpjumper that only has 20mm more travel in the suspension? Is it the way that the rear suspension is designed? Maybe its a lot lighter?

I'm on a mission to finding the proper platform for my next bike and specs wise I'm bouncing back and forth between the SJ and the Epic line with no indication of what's better. I'm sure there have been a lot of people asking this before but I just can't get straight answers, all I get is people saying the XC is a race bike, don't buy it... That helps me zero.

In a bike I'm looking for something functional yet performance oriented. Light but durable.. I am mostly in to fast single track, but there is no telling if I'm ever going to run into some rough stuff that I'd need 8 inches of suspension travel for. I am coming from a fully rigid and hard tail platform which I can blast up hills and easily manage down hill the rough stuff through my legs, but I just want to go the extra bit further with the advantages of full suspension.

What bike out of those two am I selling myself? What kind of people buy the Epic and what kind of people buy the SJ? Why do people say the Epic can't go down hill? This statement doesn't make sense to me, my rigid and hard tails can go downhill as fast and as stable as I want it to. I'm not talking about the downhill type of stuff that requires a 9 inch travel Demo, but the stuff you run in to on a typical nice trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTTR
    ...Why do people say the Epic can't go down hill? This statement doesn't make sense to me, my rigid and hard tails can go downhill as fast and as stable as I want it to. I'm not talking about the downhill type of stuff that requires a 9 inch travel Demo, but the stuff you run in to on a typical nice trail.
    They probably just mean the Epic can't bomb down hill as fast as something with more travel and different geometry and different shocks. I'm sure you can go down almost any hill with any bike, some much slower than others.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Personally I would go with the SJ

Its designed for people like you that want a bike for all around use. Its not that an epic would be a bad choice, it capable of going up and down, its just optimized for racing. My advice would be to ride both and pic the one you like more. Don't let the XC race tag talk you out of it if it the bike that you like.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RTTR
    I am coming from a fully rigid and hard tail platform which I can blast up hills and easily manage down hill the rough stuff through my legs, but I just want to go the extra bit further with the advantages of full suspension.
    That was the same position I found myself in. Having always either had a full rigid or hardtail I want a bike that mimics that ride. I considered the Stumpjumper but in the end I went the Epic (waiting on it to arrive). The more I read about the Epic's and listened to other riders comments on them it became more apparent that it was as close to a hardtail that a dual suspension bike could be.

Either bike would have been good, but the Epic will suit my riding better.

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Get a Stumpjumper because it is lighter than last years Epic and descends much better.

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    Is the 08 Epic unchanged form 07?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    '08 bikes are pretty much the same as the'07 except that all '08 Epics come with the Sepcialized AFR Shock (only the Marathon, Marathon Carboan and S-Works did in '07)

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    I still think the Epic will be better for me. I could really care less if the SJ can go downhill a little better. It's the other stuff I care about, the speed and agileness. Around here there is one person with a full suspension bike a Cannondale, the rest have 80-100mm hardtails. I want a full suspension bike for my next one just for a little more comfort.

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    The only thing that has my mind in the blender right now is the Future Shock Brain fork on the SJ FSR Pro Carbon and higher, that none of the Epic's have, wouldn't that in turn make the SJ an all around much better bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I just bought my first epic (08 expert) coming from a hard tail. I'm racing for my first ever time this year and I wanted a fast xc race bike with the benefit of full suspension. I looked at a few models but after riding the epic my mind was made up. It climbs like a hardtail and the rear suspension is plenty for what I'll throw at it. It handles like a dream through tight single track, its just unbelievably responsive. The more I ride it the more I like it!

Now with More Wood
    The way a bike beahves on the trail has to do with many more things than just the amount of suspension travel. The single biggest factor in regards to downhill "bombability" is geometry - not travel. If not, there would not be such a thing as a hardtail freeride bike.

The epic is a race bike because its geometry is set up to optimize pedalling efficiency and generate maximum speed while on the flat or climbing. It has a very steep headtube angle (makes it very twitchy in the rough stuff - little high-speed stability), it has a very forward riding position, which does not help you on the downhill parts AT ALL, and it has a very firm suspension (You may end up feeling only slightly more comfortable compared to your current hardtail). Like a previous poster said, its not about whether or not you can make it down the hill (Newton will see to that eventually), its about where your preference lies. The Stumpy is a different concept - more travel, more relaxed geometry, leaves you sitting up a bit more and ready to tackle the downhill/techy stuff. But make no mistake about it, the Stumpy still pedals very well.

You said you want some of the advantages of your hardtail, but with the added comfort of suspension. Based on that sentence, I think you might end up disappointed with the Epic.

What you need to do is take a look at the geometry of your current bike, and figure out what it is closer to - Epic or SJ. You can decide on how much suspension travel you will need after that, and then choose a bike. BTW, if you go with a Talas on the SJ (which means you would need to buy an '07 I think), you can get the both of 2 worlds - drop the fork to 100mm for XC and climbing, then up to 140mm for the techincal parts. A thought...

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    Very good post Iceman. Gave me some proper insights on the Epic and what it really is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    first of all the new 08 stumpjumper is not lighter or as light as the 08 epic, there was an 08 SJ comp in the bike shop yesterday and it was noticably heavier than my stock 08 epic comp, there was also an 08 epic marathon there and i doubt even an s works SJ would be as light as that thing, it was almost as light as a road bike,

i was in the same predicament as yourself, SJ or epic, which one, i do all kinds of riding, trail,asphalt but all of it involves a lot of up and downhill, after trying the epic i just went for it, it fit like a glove, its not as racy as people say, the 08s headtube is slightly longer than the 07, i think its really comfortable and efficant, im less stretched out on it than i was on my XC, it feels light on asphalt, my XC felt like a tank, contrary to what people say, for me it goes down better than the XC, i dont have to have the seat way over the bars to be comfortable which was necessary on the XC thus makes it more comfortable going down, because its lighter and nimbler you can also pick your line better, i was never into plowing over stuff, it does excel at climbing, it digs in and goes forward and i dont feel exhausted at the top like i did on the XC,

the brain is great, i have it set to almost fully open and thats it, it just works when it has to, i dont feel it open or close, theres no delay in mine its like a hardtail on the asphalt and as soon as you hit the dirt it kicks in, no fooling with anything its brilliant ,all this on a stock epic comp 08, i understand that the SJ is a better bike than the XC and they have made the 08 SJ even more versitile but i dont regret buying the epic, as it is its in every way better than my previous ride but im going to indulge in some upgrades to bring it under 26 pounds

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    I'm in the market to buy a "buy it once" kind of bike, I'm either going to get the '08 Epic Marathon Carbon or SJ FSR Pro Carbon. Both are spec'd almost identical it's just a matter of what is best for my needs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    at the end of the day you couldnt go far wrong with either one, both are very cool, i havent tried the brain on the stumpy but ive read many times that its tuned so its never fully locked out, theres always a little bit of play in the rear, i have to do a lot of miles on uphill asphalt roads to get to the trails so the play in the rear of the brain on the SJ could get bothersome, still thats only in theory, it could be fine in practice

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    I've been through the same questions myself between the SJ and Epic a few times. Keep in mind that in a recent interview Ned Overend (XC racing legend) said that the new SJ design is more efficient than the previous models and that he would choose the SJ over the Epic on really rough race courses. All that really means is that the SJ suspension can be set up pretty efficiently and the more relaxed geometry handles fast sections more easily.

Think of the suspension like this. If all suspension ranges from 1-10 (with 1 being nearly hardtail like and 10 being open and active) the Epic has a suspension adjustment range of like 1-6 and the SJ has an adjustment range of like 3-9. When firmed up the Epic has a firmer pedaling platform than the SJ, but on the opposite end the SJ range is more active for rough terrain. There is some overlap in the suspension range between the 2 bikes in the middle somewhere, but then there's the 100 vs 120mm travel and the geometry (see IceMan's description of the geometry differences above).

You really can't go wrong with either bike. The Epic is more of a race bike that would make a decent trail bike and the SJ is more of an allround trail bike that could make a decent race bike. Once you pick one and get used to the geometry, then you'll be able to rail in all conditions.

You should try to find a shop that has demo bikes. I have spent some time on each bike in back to back tests and could really feel the differences, but once you ride either bike for a while and get used to it they both feel right! The Epic is a more efficient climber - especially on really hard efforts out of the saddle, and the SJ is more stable at faster speeds - like it's on rails.

I've had 2 SJs in the past and just picked up my 3rd SJ - a 29er. Even though I'm partial to the SJ, the Epic is a blast to ride - climbs like a hardtail and can still be set up pretty active. Both bikes are rockets in the right environment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i also went for the epic because im 5 foot 8 and at 130 pounds very light so i dont need a whole lotta suspension, i also dont have much in the way of raw brute strength so i benefit from the efficency of the epic, if i were a large heavy guy i may have been swayed more by the SJ

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think because of this years stumpjumper revamp you'd be better of buying SJ pro carbon, The seat tube angle is steeper (than 07 models) which allows for a more climb friendly position but at the same time you have the comfort of the 120mm travel front and back. "Buy it once" kind of a bike sits more in the remit of the stumpy than the epic IMO. Also due to the fact that you'll get the brain on the front you'll have a bike which climbs fantastically but offers stability at speed.

If i had the choice to buy two bikes i'd have an epic for long haul and an enduro for the rough stuff but a one bike garage shouts out for the stump jumper

Hope that helps

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I think one of the big deciding factors also has to be the type of trails you are riding. I mean around here you can do a 3 hour ride do only 8 miles and have the snot totally kicked out of you. Other places you can fly. I have a Buddy who moved to Michigan when he showed up for a group ride with his 5/5 they were like who is the guy with the free ride bike, and to Us in the North east , that is an XC bike. I had to make the same decision earlier this year when My FSR XC frame cracked and Specialized offered me either an Stumpy or an Epic as a warranty replacement, after much thinking I choose the Stumpjumper because I tend to ride very rocky technical trails and wanted some "forgivness"
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member

Ride Them.

Make sure you ride them both.

Notice that it's mostly in the angles (Head tube and seat tube) and the top tube length.

You will feel the diffrence, the Epic is quick and twitcy, just right for going uphill fast picking your way around rocks or tight switchbacks and such where the races are one or lost. You will also feel more streched out over the front wheel. It keeps the weight over the front wheel so you don't wheellie over on steep uphills and opens up the chest for better breathing. (you can put more spacers under the stem to raise the h-bars but you still have a longer top tube) However I have no problem ridding it downhill at high rates of speed. It is a great Super D bike.

The SJ will feel a bit more relaxed, better for going down, more of an all around bike. Higher handle bars, and a shorter top tube. If you do get the talas one, which is last years, as you lower the fork you become prone to hitting rocks with the pedals. I tried that.

You will get used to what ever bike you choose, and you will be have a blast no matter what, and thats why we ride, right?

FYI, I race XC, Super D, and 4X. I have owned both.

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for all this great info on comparing the two. Nice to finally find some people that know what they are talking about.
    Last edited by RTTR; 12-13-2007 at 11:35 AM.

banned
    The rider, I would think

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    i also went for the epic because im 5 foot 8 and at 130 pounds very light so i dont need a whole lotta suspension, i also dont have much in the way of raw brute strength so i benefit from the efficency of the epic, if i were a large heavy guy i may have been swayed more by the SJ
    I'm 5'9" and currently 155lbs (out of shape) it's a good point you made about size and weight with the Epic.

mtbr member
    I don't think your weight and height really have anything to do with what kind of bike you should buy unless you're at the extremes.

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial
    I don't think your weight and height really have anything to do with what kind of bike you should buy unless you're at the extremes.
    Good point..

I have one more question for the day, has anyone ridden a SJ with the Future Shock fork? Can I get some opinions on it?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast