mtbr member
    Nov 2007

What hubs are used in the 08 SX Trail II?

Does anyone know what manufacturer made the hubs for the 08 SX Trail II?

Data as follows:
    Rims: DT Swiss EX5.1D, 28mm w/ eyelets, 36h
    Spokes: DT Swiss Competition butted 2.0/1.8 with alloy nipples
    Front Hub: Specialized Stout disc, sealed cartridge bearing, 20mm thru-axle, high/low flange, 36h
    Rear Hub: Specialized bolt-on 135mm, solid 10mm 7075 alloy axle w/ RD guard

Is the rear hub a DT Swiss product, too?

dirt visionary
    yes both hubs are dtswiss made for specialized

Trying a little
    and they use cartridge bearings, I think. That's what I was told when I bought my bike. But just as normal, there is no info on Specialized website about how to service these hubs, and no info on DT swiss for these exact hubs service.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The front hub looks like the same that came with 06 SX Trail II. Only the anodized brown finish (atleast on my 08 Demo 7 II) sets them apart. The rear hub also looks identical apart from the color, although I haven't opened it. Service instructions, atleast for the front hub, are not really needed as it's so simple. To change the bearings, just pull the dust caps off with plyers, use a hammer and a rod from opposite side to get the bearings (one per side) off the hub (remember to push the rod againsts the hub insides to expose ridge below the bearing). The bearings are standard size, so just get new ones from any bearing shop. Take the old bearings with you or write the code on them to paper and give it to sales clerk. I bought SKF branded ones. The rear hub is a bit more complex as there are more (cartridge) bearings, but the freewheel is pretty standard three pawl mechanism. But dunno if you can get spare parts for it, probably not... The pawls and the ratchet probably won't break on normal use (which means anything except trials) but on my 06 SX Trail the round spring broke that holds the pawls attached to freewheel body. However, I was able to improvise a new one out of a wheel quick release spring! So the summary on those hubs is that they aren't the highest quality and design (ala Chris King, Hadley, Hope) but they are simple and do their job pretty well, and it's nice that they have standard size cartridge bearings, although service instructions are missing..