mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What headset came w/2005 SX Trail?

I need a new crown race. The only marking on the headset is "Mfg by TH Industries for Cane Creek". So I call up Cane Creek. They say it's an OEM model and that TH Industries is also FSA (Full Speed Ahead). They have no spares, call FSA. So I'm trying to contact FSA but having no luck. I've asked Specialzied too and their first guess was an FSA Pig or Pig DH (bzzzzzzt--wrong answer). Here's all I know: The headset is not a 1/4" bearing model; it's not a sealed cartridge model; it's got retainered-bearings; it's all metal construction (unlike some headsets that have a plastic/rubber cover on top and a plastic centering wedge); the cups are super-beefy--wall-thickness bigger than most I've seen. Anyone know? At this point it may be easier just to get a whole new headset but it's easier for me to put on a new race than install a whole new headset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Wavedude, I think just get a new FSA headset or a King. I replaced the standard OEM Bearings on my enduro several times, also noticed the crown race had worn as well. I installed a King, has been good ever since. Spec. have used that same OEM headset for years. The SX trail needs something a bit more burly, especially if you still use the 66.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Got a response from FSA and sent them some pics. They identified it as a TH-893, also known as the "Buster". The Crown race is a H6010. They sent me a replacement race but I haven't installed it yet.