mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm What front derailleur for us old coots who want to run 3x9 on our 2011 bikes??

I'm stuck in the days of old, when we had 3 rings in the front and 8 or 9 in the back. I plan on buying a Stumpy FSR Expert 29er frameset, and need to know which front derailleur to pick up for it. It's obviously a DMD, but all the "buzz" on the streets is about 2x10. Any idea which model I need for a 3x9 setup for the front? SLX or XT preferred, but I'll look at SRAM if I have to (never used SRAM in the front before, this old geezer is stuck in his ways).

Thanks!!!!

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Can't you just use the ones spec'd for the 2010 models? The website lists both XT and SLX models for the 3 ring cranks.

Cthulhu fhtagn
    wouldnt any derailleur work? i would think the shifter would be the limiting factor
    Specialized HardRock 29er
    Nashbar 29er SS

King of Middle Earth
    If it's a "Direct Mount Derailleur" situation, any "E type" Shimano front derailleur will work. Simply detach the E bracket and bolt the remaining portion of the derailleur directly to the frame (there may be an adapter that goes between the der. and the frame!)......

The XT model you want to get is: Shimano FD-M770-E
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for your help everybody. I've done a little research and found that I need the e-type derailleur, but Hawg is right, you need the adapter to go between the derailleur and frame once the bottom bracket mount is removed. Not sure where to find this adapter.

Anyone???...

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Give the 2x10 setup a chance maybe?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I beleive the adapter comes with the frame. Ask your local bike shop to confirm.

King of Middle Earth
    If there is not one there on the frame already, call Specialized directly...
    fee-fy-fo-fum...