mtbr member
    Jul 2005

What fork should I put on my 00 Stumpy FSR?

Well the SID Rock Shox fork my 00' Sump Jumper FSR blew up the other day (just colapsed)..

I no longer ride the bike and only use it to loan out to friends at this point.. I am debating whether to have it rebuilt by SuperGo (for around $60-$80) or to replace it with something used that is a bit more plush (like 100mm). I think the 00 SID is only like an 80mm fork... It doesn't lock out or have any travel adjustment so it kind of seems like a waste to even rebuild it.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Last edited by BLT Fan; 08-14-2005 at 11:01 PM.

nimble biker
    Any fork that has 100mm travel will work with the 2000 stumpy. It will give your bike more plush ride. Your bike is still within limit of 100mm. Don't go above 100mm then the bike front end will really rise up

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    Any fork that has 100mm travel will work with the 2000 stumpy. It will give your bike more plush ride. Your bike is still within limit of 100mm. Don't go above 100mm then the bike front end will really rise up

Any suggestions on something I can get used in the $200 range? I just built up my new Blur LT and spent quite a bit so I am trying to go a bit cheaper here as the Stumpy has really just become a loaner bike for my friends who want to ride once in a while but don't have a full suspension bike...

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    Don't go above 100mm then the bike front end will really rise up
    That's not a bad thing for this frame, because it has such a steep HA. Going bigger than 100 will make it much less twitchy desending. I ran a Talas on mine, around 90-100mm for climbing, and 125mm for desending. Made a big difference in handling coming down.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Shop around a little bit, the Online chains are....

Quote Originally Posted by BLT Fan
    Any suggestions on something I can get used in the $200 range? I just built up my new Blur LT and spent quite a bit so I am trying to go a bit cheaper here as the Stumpy has really just become a loaner bike for my friends who want to ride once in a while but don't have a full suspension bike...
    starting to blow out the 05 stuff and get rid of some OE forks that they have pulled off bikes for customer upgrades. Jenson is selling OE 04 Black Comp 100s for $139. The OE forks will have cut steerers so you need to be cautious about that. But aftermarket brand new forks are going on sale as well. So keep your eyes pealed. You should be able to score something in your price range either new or not used put installed once within your price range.

Good Dirt

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Try a Psylo

Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    That's not a bad thing for this frame, because it has such a steep HA. Going bigger than 100 will make it much less twitchy desending. I ran a Talas on mine, around 90-100mm for climbing, and 125mm for desending. Made a big difference in handling coming down.

There are still a couple of places around selling new '03 and '04 Psylo XC's. I have one of these on my Stumpy and used it to replace the SID. It's WAY heavier (like 2lbs more) but does significantly improve the handling and head angle. You can pick one up for roughly $100-150 if you shop around -- try Pricepoint -- that's where I got mine.

mtbr member
    Definately go for the Manitou Skareb. You can pick them up (slightly used) on ebay for less than $200. They're lightweight (3.3lbs) and stiffer than the SID, and ohhh soo plush.

Best deal on a 100mm XC fork by far.

lavasurfer

fork

I just had the same problem with my 2000 M4. If you got time, good deals appear on E bay. I found a fork on craigs list. I searched other locations than mine and just paid extra for shipping. Caution, allot of the shocks for sale are disk only or have short stems.