mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Upset What do you think about these Hardrock problems..

I purchased a Hardrock Sport Disc 07 from a dealer in Shrewsbury, England at the end of November 2007. Since then I have suffered serious chain suck problems and chain skipping problems. I have probably done 15-20 miles per week since then (once a week on trails)

As I have only just taken the sport up I am not an expert in what to look for and how to cure these sorts of problems. I took the bike for its first service in December and explained the problem.. the dealers thought it would just be the cables and hence serviced it and gave it back to me.

I did not use the bike until early January and it still suffered with chain suck under power on the granny or middle ring. I took the bike back and the said the chain and cassette had worn and that was causing the problems. Despite the low mileage I had racked up I accepted that its wear and tear and therefore I would have to pay... 30 plus labour.

The next couple of outings I still have chain sucking problems so the bike went back again and this time the middle ring was changed at a cost to me of 20.

The next ride out the problem persisted so I took it back again and this time the granny ring was replaced. This cost me a further 10. We are now into February and I am still having problems with both rings. I clicking noise can be hear on every turn of the pedals in the middle ring and the ring does not look straight and the chain does not want to sit in the teeth at the point the ring looks bent. Maybe it is the crank that is bent/twisted/fitted incorrectly? Maybe its a frame issue... I just don't know.

I have advised the dealer that I am still having problems and the response was 'its because you are riding it' which I assume means its wear and tear.

I suspect there is a fundamental problem with the bike and it will chew through chains, cassettes and rings until it is sorted. The only remaining thing to replace is the crank and I struggle to believe this should be at my cost given it is only 3 months old and its been back to the dealer 4 times for this same problem.

I am a fair person and will always pay for thing that are or could be wear and tear and I think my 4 visits to the dealer have proved this but with a brand new bike I can not believe this level of problems are acceptable and I never expected a problem like this with Specialized.

Has anyone else had these problems, maybe I bent something while I was still learning not to fall off? Where do I stand with the Dealer or Specialized? I've e-mailed Specialized but am I wasting my time?

Jim

bitey
    Dec 2007

hardrock

hi jim
    sounds like you either have a worn out chain or a stiff or bent chain link.
    check every link. also what lube are using ? if its too thick and sticky
    this can cause problems.
    good luck.

mtbr member
    hey man, you shouldnt have to immedietly replace your chainrings since november, thats pretty quick. specialized warranty is really good, so if your lbs isnt doing you justice, give them a call and tell them your issues. they should be able to warranty a new crank or something, or maybe a different bike.

OSCMTB
    I rode a Hardrock for two years. They are beastly well constructed bikes and don't run though chainrings doing 15-20 miles a week.

Maybe your chain is too long? regardless, find a new bike shop...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

chain lube

Hi, thanks for the replys guys.... its a darn frustrating problem... all I wanna do is ride!!

I use standard chain lube, GT85 after every wash and before most rides. I thought it might be the chain but they changed that and the new one is no better.

I took it for a ride just and its now unrideable in the middle ring, just sucks and jams... it sucks alright

I will take it back to the dealer tomorrow and they can keep it until its sorted (without me paying this time!). I've also e-mailed Specialized to see the warranty position but yes a new bike/crank would seem fair to keep me as a customer... as I plan to upgrade to a full-sus bike in the next 6-12 months so it must be worth their while to keep me on their side!

Does anyone know of a UK Contact name/e-mail address for Specialized?

Keep the advice/info coming... I won't give up the sport just yet!
    Jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

chain and cassette

... oh and the chain and cassette were replace on the second visit to the dealer (30 plus labour) and that was only after maybe 50 miles...

I've got a bad feeling this new chain could be on its way out... the sucking seems to hit the frame pretty hard (causing scoring behind the middle ring) so the chain must suffer too

bitey
    Dec 2007

Smile lube

jim
    gt85 is not a chain lube,its ok for cleaning and spraying after a ride
    but not as a pre ride lube,its more of a degreaser.
    get yourself some quality lube like,finish line wet,or rock n roll.
    this MAY help with your chain suck.
    check out chain reaction cycles for chain lubes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

lube

Oops meant to say, lube (with a cheap one from Halfords) and in addition use GT85 liberally

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Smile The result

Well it went back to the dealer and they did suggest it was wear and tear. Somehow I'd bent the new middle ring again and was just unlucky. The chain was well worn too. Apparently the place I ride (Cannock Chase) is very sandy (it is) and can destroy chains and cassettes in the British winter.... although my mates seem to survive much better than mine (mine is the lowest spec bike so maybe price is important after all?)

The dealer was superb this time and agreed to replace the chainset to a Shimano and also replaced the chain and cassette. The total cost to me was 20 for the chain and cassette, the chainset was supplied as a goodwill gesture. Can't say fairer than that.

Everything is brand new down there now so it should be ok now.... one thing for sure I'll avoid Cannock Chase for a while just until my faith in the bike is restored!

All in all, a frustrating start to my mountain biking career but the dealer was more than fair this time.... and I will continue to be a customer there so everyone wins!

Specialized also replied today and spoke to the dealer direct so maybe they suggested the goodwill gesture. In their reply they said it would not be the crank or the frame and therefore it would be the extremes of the British winter.

Either way, I am happy with the support from dealer/Specialized and hope this is the end of the story. I'm still learning! Would I have been as successful with another brand of bike... who knows

Thanks for the replys dudes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Your LBS sucks. There's no way you've worn out a cassette, chain and rings in 4 months of once a week riding. I've gone 3 years with 100's of miles a week on the same set of rings, replacing the chain and cassette ONCE in that time. Granted--I don't ride in the wet--but it's a lot of dry sandy soil that can be just as gritty. And if your chain keeps getting balled up between the rings and chainstay--that could be where your bent ring came from (as opposed to you bending it some other way and that causing the chain-suck).

Next time they tell you that the chain is worn--have 'em throw on a chain-checker and show you. Or go to www.sheldonbrown.com and learn to measure it yourself and take a look at what a worn chain and rings look like and how they mesh together.

But if you're happy now, maybe just leave it and see what happens with the new bits (personally, I wouldn't have been forking over that much $$$ for repairs that soon on a new bike).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Are you mashing the pedals or spinning? Try running lower gears to get a higher pedal spin cadence and less resistance on the gears.

two wheel whore
    Any updates, Jim? I hope your problems were solved.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Its all sorted, I'm happy

The dealer replaced the crank with a Shimano M442 chainset and the bike is working beautifully. I've taken it through mud, sand (Cannock Chase where it was having all the problems), rain... the worst of the British weather and I've suffered NO CHAIN SUCK AT ALL. Feels like a different bike. There must have been something fundamentally wrong with the original.

No longer frustrated I'm back enjoying my riding... although I am a bit anal about cleaning the chain and cassette but I'm sure that will fade in time!!

Result, off for a demo ride on an Enduro SL on sunday.. eek!

Cheers
    Jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Valentino Rossi rocks by the way Shmoo :-)... Hayden will be lucky to get a couple of podiums this season (one being Laguna Seca of course!).

two wheel whore
    Jim, that's good to hear. Even if your original components were on the low-end of the totem pole, I don't see how it couldn't last 50 miles of grit and sand. Glad you're riding out there with no worries.

Shouldn't you be rooting for James Toseland? Very impressed on his results from Qatar with an outdated spec Yamaha.
    As far as Hayden goes, not sure on his decision on taking the '07 bike out last race; give him equal treatment as Pedrosa, he should do fine. lol got me rambling. =)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yep Toseland was awesome considering the machine he's on. Difficult to know how the season will pan out given that Qatar at night is not the norm (temperatures decreasing as the race goes on whereas its normally the other way around). As long as Stoner doesn't just disappear out front it will be an awesome season. Can't wait to see a close race with Rossi, Lorenzo and Stoner.

two wheel whore
    Might have to start a MotoGP thread in the general discussion area. =)

Don't forget, BSB's Kiyonari is in WSBK now!