mtbr member

What do you guys think of the 142+ rear axle?

I ride an enduro Evo k12 (known to have weak rear hub). I just buckled my front wheel last ride at Telonix, although the hub is still good, i wanna upgrade to new wheelsets. I just realized how scarse this rear axle is . So far i only found Easton's Havoc DH and they support the 142 rear axle that i really like and probably might end up getting. Any suggestions on any other wheelset brands that i should consider thanks.
    2012 Enduro Evo
    2011 Canfield Formula1 Jedi

mtbr member
    May 2008
    just get a conversion kit like this one and you can run a lot of more wheelsets:

Fun Works N-Light Evo- Umrstkit Hinterradnabe auf X12 - Action Sports-Bike Onlineshop

mtbr member
    Most hubs can be converted to 12 X 142. I wouldn't worry to much about the 142+ thing I think that's just marketing hype that doesn't add a lot of extra strength. I know king, Hope, Stans, DT swiss and Hadley all can be converted easily to work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkinho View Post
    just get a conversion kit like this one and you can run a lot of more wheelsets:

Fun Works N-Light Evo- Umrstkit Hinterradnabe auf X12 - Action Sports-Bike Onlineshop
    is it in German, this is nice! can you explain how this works.
    2012 Enduro Evo

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    Most hubs can be converted to 12 X 142. I wouldn't worry to much about the 142+ thing I think that's just marketing hype that doesn't add a lot of extra strength. I know king, Hope, Stans, DT swiss and Hadley all can be converted easily to work.
    sounds good, im gonna need to do more research on converting hubs, im new at this, can you guide me to the right direction thanks
    2012 Enduro Evo

mtbr member
    May 2008
    you remove the 9mm axle from the hub and simply replace it. 5 minutes work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    dont worry about that little "+" what it really means is that the hub flange is 2mm wider on the drive side. any wheel you get to replace it with weather it is a chris king, hope, hadley, dt swiss, mavic, wtb, easton, roval, industry 9, crank brothers, pretty much anything new will have a 12x142 option. when you install the new wheel you will have to adjust your limit screws to make up for that 2mm difference, but this is not an issue at all.
    if you really want to keep a 12x142+ hub back there you can look at the roval wheelsets, they are made by specialized, and some of them are 142+. i am pretty sure most of them run the dt swiss star ratchet in the rear hub too.

personally for my enduro i am building a wheelset with chris king hubs on wtb i23 hoops.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkinho View Post
    you remove the 9mm axle from the hub and simply replace it. 5 minutes work.

nice! one more thing tho, with this i can have an option of 135 or 150? right sorry newbie here.
    2012 Enduro Evo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    dont worry about that little "+" what it really means is that the hub flange is 2mm wider on the drive side. any wheel you get to replace it with weather it is a chris king, hope, hadley, dt swiss, mavic, wtb, easton, roval, industry 9, crank brothers, pretty much anything new will have a 12x142 option. when you install the new wheel you will have to adjust your limit screws to make up for that 2mm difference, but this is not an issue at all.
    if you really want to keep a 12x142+ hub back there you can look at the roval wheelsets, they are made by specialized, and some of them are 142+. i am pretty sure most of them run the dt swiss star ratchet in the rear hub too.

personally for my enduro i am building a wheelset with chris king hubs on wtb i23 hoops.
    thats cool! im not really a big fan of 142+ i just want bomb proof wheelsets since i been riding the enduro more on DH trails. Dirkinho mentioned about a converter is that only to convert it to 135?
    2012 Enduro Evo

mtbr member
    oh haha my bad its to replace the hubs to 142x12
    2012 Enduro Evo

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    With a standard 142 mm hub, the cassette will be inboard 2 mm or about .080". So the chainline would seem to be effected. Especially cross chaining in the big ring. I tested two 2012 Epics. One set up stock and the other with a standared wheel set. I had each for several days. The stock Epic shifted well throughout it's range. The other, I noticed trouble in the big chain ring, mostly in the granny or next one down. I got it working ok, but then in the small ring it wasn't quite as smooth. That's what made me look closer at the chain line. I would mention that one of these bikes had shimano shifting and the other was sram.

For me, If I was going to buy a Spech I would use Spech wheels.

Steve
    Last edited by Stevebiker; 09-23-2012 at 09:31 AM.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebiker View Post
    With a standard 142 mm hub, the cassette will be inboard 2 mm or about .080". So the chainline would seem to be effected. Especially cross chaining in the big ring. I tested two 2012 Epics. One set up stock and the other with a standared wheel set. I had each for several days. The stock Epic shifted well throughout it's range. The other, I noticed trouble in the big chain ring, mostly in the granny or next one down. I got it working ok, but then in the small ring it wasn't quite as smooth. That's what made me look closer at the chain line. I would mention that one of these bikes had shimano shifting and the other was sram.

For me, If I was going to buy a Spech I would use Spech wheels.

Steve
    I use a standard 142 on my SW in place of my normal 142+ wheels without any issues with shifting. I can adjust the RD using the shifter trim...