mtbr member
    Aug 2013

what is the differecne SJ HT vs Epic Fork With Brain

Hello
    I wonder what difference is there on the fork on a 2013 Stump Jumper HT and the carbon expert Epic fork?
    Both are brain but they do differ in some way but why?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Both Expert models?
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    no the Stump Jumper HT is a Marathon otherwise both 2013 models the rep from Sram Sweden and my boss all are like why so different on the SJ the brain function is on top on my Epic at the bottom of the leg where the the rebound knob is if you know how i mean?

mtbr member

what is the differecne SJ HT vs Epic Fork With Brain

There are two different brain fork types across both ranges:

The Epic Expert and Stumpjumper HT Expert both have a Rock Shox Sid brain fork with the brain dial at the bottom of the fork leg.

The Epic in Marathon and S-Works trim, along with the Stumpjumper HT in Marathon and S-Works trim, both have a Rock Shox Sid brain cartridge with the brain dial at the top of the fork leg. The S-Works Sid brain fork also has a carbon fork crown for lighter weight.

So far as I know even though the dials are in different places the two forks are functionally the same. They're both brain forks and work in the same way. The benefit of the dial at the top of the fork leg is that it's more accessible whilst riding, so that on a race course you can make adjustments on the fly.

The other difference between the Stumpjumper hardtail and Epic Rock Shox Sid brain forks on the equivalent level bike (Expert, Marathon etc) is just that the Stumpjumper hardtail has an extra internal spacer to reduce the travel.

The Epic has the fork set to 100 mm travel (apart from the size Small which is 90mm travel) whilst the Stumpjumper hardtail has the fork set to 90mm travel (apart from the size small which is 80mm travel). Because this is only done with spacers the forks can be changed to different travel if you wanted to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    aha ok i see so the difference is as i suspected was the dial placed differently.
    Good now that is sorted out