mtbr member
    Jun 2006

What degree handlebar do I have?

I have a 2000 stumperjumper pro with a silver s-works flat handlebar. I'm trying to figure out the degree of sweep. I think it is a 5 degree, but im not sure. Just by measuring one side has around 2 or so degree of bend. I don't know if the term sweep means both sides combined to get the degree.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Standard sweep....

for a cross country flat bar is usually 3 dgrees. And no it's not measured as a combined figure. Each side is measured independently and is usually measured from the center line of the clamp area to the center of the business end of the bar. It pretty tough to accurately measure the sweep of a bar using the bar itself. As your picture illustrates it is tough to get the rod, string or whatever you are using exactly in the right place. Your method is about the best you can do without removing the bar, but it does usually give you a degree or so less than the actual. So with what you are coming up with I'm pretty certain you're looking at a 3 degree sweep on that bar.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think your right. I'm getting about 2.7 degree's and i'm sure theres some error on the carbon tube im holding up there and the angle of the picture. Also the shifer and grip fool the eye into making it look like its more of a degree. I went and looked at handlebars on the net and the 5 degree bars look a lot more bent.

I'm in process of building a new bike and just want to make sure I get the same degree I have now. I love it!