mtbr member
    Apr 2006

What colour? (Quick answers requested!)

Here's my Stumpy as was.

At the moment, the frame (and the rigid fork is at a framebuilder for a dent removal and some new paint. I asked them to match Flo Red, as I was going to stick a black Reba on it. However, for a number of reasons, I've decided to stick with the SXR for the season before sticking the rigid fork back on.

The problem is, I'm worried that Flo Red is going to look a bit of a dog's dinner with the mango on the SXR.

I wondering whether to ask them to stick with matching the purple/blue flam that's on there now (chosen specifically to tone in with the SXR).

What do you think?
    Last edited by steviep; 04-18-2006 at 10:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Flow red would still be fine with that fork, just a little bright.
    You could just mango the frame then the black fork would go too!
    You may need other opinions as my favorite color is bright! :-)

mtbr member
    I like the Red- but as with any original item I'd say stick with the historicaly accurate color that the bike came with. Either way my friend- if it makes you happy go for it.

...the wave won't brek
    Quote Originally Posted by Wick
    Either way my friend- if it makes you happy go for it.

This is probably the single piece of advice when modifying any thing wether it be a bike or a car or what ever. Do what you like, and what looks good to you.

IMHO I would keep the frame Orgional colour but I am a purest that way.

Get the frame painted what ever colour you want and then paint the fork if you don't like the red and orange together.

Good Luck

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by anthrax
    This is probably the single piece of advice when modifying any thing wether it be a bike or a car or what ever. Do what you like, and what looks good to you.

IMHO I would keep the frame Orgional colour but I am a purest that way.

Get the frame painted what ever colour you want and then paint the fork if you don't like the red and orange together.

Good Luck

A
    The colour's not the original anyway. The original was indigo blue with silver shadowed decals. However, these were unobtainable from Specialized even after just two years and they sent me the black set you see on the bike here. The last sprayshop messed up and left the applicators on and clearcoated over them. If you zoom in on the photo, you can see the outlines. Spesh USA kindly sent me another set of decals in case I wanted the paint done again, so I have another set in black. I actually have a set of non shadowed silver as well but they're not in mint condition. Original decals seem to be very rare. The blue/purple finish is a blue over purple or purple over blue; I've never been able to work out which coat went on first or last.

The chainset is an S Works Strongarm. I read in the reviews here that it's super flexy; it is but only side to side, not where it matters. The rings aren't fantastic though and because of the Sugino upsidedown arrangement, impossible to replace with non Sugino stock, because the stud to stop the chain falling behind the crank is in the wrong place. I was going to replace it with an FSA V Drive MegaExo.