mtbr member
    Aug 2005

What coil shock will fit on the 06 enduros

I am planning on getting a '06 Enduro but it comes with a DHX air shock. I would like to switch out to a coil at my LBS. Which one will fit? I ride technical XC, light freeride and want to do drops up to 5 ft so I believe coil would be better. What do you all think?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dougj
    I am planning on getting a '06 Enduro but it comes with a DHX air shock. I would like to switch out to a coil at my LBS. Which one will fit? I ride technical XC, light freeride and want to do drops up to 5 ft so I believe coil would be better. What do you all think?
    The '06 Enduro and '05 Enduro frames are the same. The only coil that reliable sources (i.e. JakeWake) say will fit is the 5th Element Remote Resi. Don't know if you'll need new sphereical spacers or not. You'll need the brackets to mount the resi too (or just use zip ties).

But, there was a guy from the UK who said he was given the option of replacing his shock with a DHX Coil. Don't know if he's tried it yet or not. I also have a buddy who says that Spec Customer Service told him that a DHX Coil would also fit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

DHX coil

The Fox DHX coil will fit on your Enduro, but you have to get the one with the shortened resovoir, made especially for Specialized. If you get the DHX that isn't specific for the Enduro, the piggy back will hit your frame.

TNC
    noMAD man

Checked a DHX Air.

Quote Originally Posted by dougj
    That base model '06 Enduro that I made a post about recently was still sitting on the floor when my DHX Air shock came for my Bullit. That base model has a DHX Air 3.0 mounted. Comparing my 5.0 model to the 3.0, I'm fairly positive it will slide right in there, at least with the shuttle set in the slack position, which is where it was set. The DHX Air has a very different recessed schrader valve compared to my DHX coil. I'm wondering if a standard DHX coil or air model with just a creative angled schrader valve would solve some of this. As it is, the standard aftermarket shock will have to be removed to tune the boost valve pressure. A couple of my shocks for modified older FSR Enduro models had angled schrader valves for access. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    But, there was a guy from the UK who said he was given the option of replacing his shock with a DHX Coil. Don't know if he's tried it yet or not. I also have a buddy who says that Spec Customer Service told him that a DHX Coil would also fit.
    If you mean me: no I have not tried it yet, because Specialized still don't have the shock in stock. However, from the pictures from the Specialized website, it seems clear to me that I also will need a different shock shuttle, since the SX trail's shuttle is different from the slack version I have (see piccie). There could be a diff as large as 1 cm (hard to tell from website pictures). Moving the DHX coil forward the same amount would mean hitting the frame I guess.

BTW: I'm not from the UK, I'm from Holland (isn't that weird, hihihi).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar
    If you mean me...
    Yep, I meant you. Holland, UK--all on the same side of the pond from where I'm at so I just lumped ya'll together. Let us know if/when it all fits.