mtbr member
    Feb 2007

What Brakes should I get?

Hi all,

I have an 05 epic which has a set of avid cable brakes. I am intending to upgrade them to a hydraulic set, so I'm just interested in some suggestions with what brand I should go for.
    I only weigh 70kg (150lbs) so they don't have to be super powerful, and lighter ones would also be preferable.

Thanks,
    Steve.

Nothing here
    Maguras are nice. Martas are light and modulate well.

The Other Dude
    Ill second the Magura Marta's, super light, and stop well, i love mine.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I like the avid juicy sevens. They are the easiest to keep adjusted and the easiest to install...

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    xts

bootchman
    I like the Avid Juicy 5's -- Easy to install and regulate, less expensive than the 7's. Make sure they are the '07 model, since they now come with the clean sweep rotors. The older polygonal rotors were noisy but the circular ones don't seem to be. I just replaced the rim brakes on my 06 Epic last week, and it was a snap.

On an Epic, you are limited to the 160mm rotor in the rear, because of the brain, but they have plenty of stopping power. I did put a 185 rotor on the front, but 160 would have been fine. Hydros make a huge difference in your whole ride.

mtbr member

Any Shimano...

..because of:
    1. beautiful power delivery
    2. great lever feel
    3. almost maintenance free
    4. mineral oil
    5. Consistent & above average Quality Control

But for an Epic, I would go for 2007 XTR 6" front & rear, & perhaps DT240, DT supercomp, DT XR4.2

mtbr member
    The new v2 Hope Mini's look good.... I have the v1 Mono M4's and they are awesome!!!
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Avid juicy sevens are extremely good brakes, i've been running them on a kona stuff hardtail for a few months in summer 07, then i got my new specialized enduro and they are just so good, but yes i have the polygon rotos are they can be slightly noisy but who cares? i run a hope hub on mavic tubeless rims and the freewheel is loud anyway but it's echod through the hollow rim! all just makes riding that more fun
    Avids are so easy to bleed and adjust the biting point on the levers etc

Going for a ride......
    I remember reading this thread not that long ago - I was looking to upgrade from my Hayes Soles.
    Ended up with Shimano XT's, so far I'm happy, and so far they seem nice and easy to work with (shortened a cable without any problems).

My pic was between
    Avid Juicy 5
    Magura Louise
    Shimano XT - these were the dearest of the bunch but in the end I figured they were worth it - for a start bleed kits are cheaper and pads aren't too costly either.
    energetix

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi
    ..because of:
    2. great lever feel
    4. mineral oil

But for an Epic, I would go for 2007 XTR 6" front & rear, & perhaps DT240, DT supercomp, DT XR4.2
    Agreed. I've heard nothing but good things for the Shimano M765. The M965 seems a bit more out there, but the Shimano Saints are the most powerful bike brakes in the world.
    Riding and loving it

mtbr member

07 XTR's

if you can get them pick up a pair of the 07 XTR's they run the 6" in front and a 4 or 5" (dont recall) in the rear on the new EPic's.
    They seem to have great stopping power and are light weight as well.
    My riding friend has them but he is so far ahead of me I never see his brakes.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenraptor
    Agreed. I've heard nothing but good things for the Shimano M765. The M965 seems a bit more out there, but the Shimano Saints are the most powerful bike brakes in the world.
    I second the xts, I never had any issues with them, easy to adjust & setup, and hardly ever squeal. the Juicy 7s however...I would switch back in a second. and dont flame me about no being adjusted properly , our group has juicy 7s, juicy carbon, shimano xt and hayes, guess which one is allways noisy, or maladjusted, the juicys, 5 or 6 different mechanics at 3 diff shops, not to mention 4 of us can & do do all our own wrenching and yet they stii squeal. Seems like if there wasnt a problem they wouldnt have changed their rotor design

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi
    ..because of:
    2. great lever feel
    4. mineral oil

I second/third/fourth the Shimano vote.... I have XTs and LXs and they are great...

The Maguras are a little more bling though...

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

what don't you like with the avid's?

What are you using for levers too?

I have had Avid mechanicals on my last two Stumpy FSR's. The 06 Stumpy I just built, I pulled the Avid mechanicals, along with the wheelset/tires, from the older FSR. The old bike had an XT shifter/brake combo with flack jacket cables. I thought the brakes were more than adequate for the aggressive xc riding I did, and I'm 190lbs with gear.

On the new build, I went with Sram shifter's/rear derauiller. So I got a set of Avid speed dial levers, and used Power Cordz cables. The Powercordz are actually a fiber type cable, not metal. That lever/cable combo made a HUGE difference in feel and modulation.

That might be an option to consider instead of spending $300+ for new stoppers.

mtbr member
    the Shimano Saints are the most powerful bike brakes in the world.
    I would expect that Hope would disagree with their new Moto brakes, which have vented rotors, and their Mono 6ti with 6 pistons!!!!
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Shimano XT's with Avid rotors. They work great.
    Last edited by z71; 02-15-2007 at 06:51 AM.

mtbr member
    You might want to revise your last statement:

Hope Mono6

Grimeca System 17

Compared to

Shimano Saint M800

Going for a ride......
    Pure power I reckon it would be hard to argue with that!
    But then again I don't know much about hydros or the physics involved so I'm sure someone could probably bring up a good scientific argument.
    energetix

mtbr member
    Magura Martas

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads1987
    Avid juicy sevens are extremely good brakes, i've been running them on a kona stuff hardtail for a few months in summer 07, then i got my new specialized enduro and they are just so good, but yes i have the polygon rotos are they can be slightly noisy but who cares?
    I'm glad you got them to work, I've had a nasty experience with my Juicy Fives with the polygon rims. Mine developed the warble right off, which continued even with spacers between the caliper and adapter.

I won't repeat everything in all of the other threads about them except to say that the warbling caused a vibration throughout the bike that was probably a pulsing resulting from short lockups. I never felt as in control with them as I did with my V-Brakes. I switched rotors and went to organic pads, but now the calipers tighten down because the pistons fail to retract correctly. The rear brake fades. What a nightmare

My Turner has Saint 8" brakes, and I just ordered new Saint 6" brakes for my Titus tonight. I love SRAM and my Avid cable levers, but I wouldn't bolt on another Avid hydro if I was paid. Go Shimano Saint or XT!!

mtbr member

Good job! Avid Jucy ULTIMATE

Superlight weight 345g!!!
    The lightest XC Disc brake out there.
    Carbon Lever, Ti Hardware
    Awsome Modulation
    G2 Rotor!

What's not to love!

Jenson USA = $280ea.
    As low as $215ea on ebay!

Just a lowly bike mechanic.

Specialized Enduro Expert w/ Double Barrel
    Specialized Gangster
    Curtlo Advanced Mountaineer

go chase the sunset
    Most powerful are Magura Gustav M, actually.

The Other Dude
    i was pleasantly surprised to find out that the Juicy 7's on my enduro SL came with ti pinch bolts for the levers.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net