n4r
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

What BMX to buy for 11yr. old son?

I believe he would do tricks with it mostly in the city and some in the country. I saw a nice Specialized hemi comp fatboy from 2002, but was told by some that this is more for racing. Could this be good for tricks too? Could pegs and gyro be added or would it be better to find something else? What are some suggestions of what to look for to buy? Thanks a lot!

Gravity Rides Everything
    check out the specialized fuse series for tricks. they have 19mm axles, and many have 3 piece cranks. the frame is a bit beefier too.

I can't recommend putting pegs on standard axles, bad idea. also a gyro has to be used on a gyro compatible frame.

n4r
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    check out the specialized fuse series for tricks. they have 19mm axles, and many have 3 piece cranks. the frame is a bit beefier too.

I can't recommend putting pegs on standard axles, bad idea. also a gyro has to be used on a gyro compatible frame.
    Thanks, you have been very helpful! I'll look for this. I guess when you try to put all functions in one bike it is always a compromise.
    My only followup question is: I know that this is a Specialized site, but are there other brands and models considered to be the best or better? M

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    anyone notice that the Hemi line is not present for 2006?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanick
    anyone notice that the Hemi line is not present for 2006?
    Yep, noticed that too while looking at bikes for my 7 year old.
    I'm really liking that intro-level Fuse for doing trick riding. I used to do BMX/Freestyle as a kid so I'm trying to get my son off on a good start.
    Lou.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by n4r
    Thanks, you have been very helpful! I'll look for this. I guess when you try to put all functions in one bike it is always a compromise.
    My only followup question is: I know that this is a Specialized site, but are there other brands and models considered to be the best or better? M

the shop I worked at last season dropped Haro and only carried specialized for BMX. I know quite a few decent BMX riders who really dig specialized. One dude I work with was gonna ditch his custom FBM buildup for a fuse V. Great parts at a reasonable price.