Thread: What is this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What is this?

Hi, I have a specialized Stumpjumper HT 04.
    I did scratch my frame like 10 months ago at the top tube, and something like "bubbles" are between the paint and the frame. What`s that?. It`ll be better to sand and re-paint that spot, or it`s something not to be worried? I might be afraid that those bubbles are a sign of corrosion.

Thanks for your help!
    bye
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mtc
    mtbr member

I'd go back..

to the shop where you bought it and let them check it out. It looks like corrosion under the finish. Wouldn't be the first time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

but can it affect the material?---

Quote Originally Posted by Mtc
    to the shop where you bought it and let them check it out. It looks like corrosion under the finish. Wouldn't be the first time.
    I mean, make the tube prone to crack?

thanks!

mtbr member

Absolutely can cause integrity issues...

Corrosion pretty much turns aluminum into powder. When I lived on the coast, aluminum storm doors would look just like that after about 1-2 seasons on a beachfront home.

I'd say its time to cash in on that spesh lifetime warranty !!
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I`ll try going to LBS...but

in the meantime what about covering the little scratch with a vinyl layer, like the glueless patches from ParkTool?. I think that that corrosion is caused by the sweat, so cleaning that part after every ride, plus the vinyl coat it should be fine.
    I tried to pried the paint a little bit, and it seems to be like "air" between the paint and the aluminium.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fran
    in the meantime what about covering the little scratch with a vinyl layer, like the glueless patches from ParkTool?. I think that that corrosion is caused by the sweat, so cleaning that part after every ride, plus the vinyl coat it should be fine.
    I tried to pried the paint a little bit, and it seems to be like "air" between the paint and the aluminium.

I have an enduro and having the same problem, thou in some areas where the bubbles are, there's no scratches. Have you gone to the shop for warranty?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    thats possitively corrosion, see about the warranty, but it looks like damage not defect
    you can sand it down to clean solid metal, prime and repaint as long as it hasn't eaten into the frame very much you should be all set. the vinal patch would be ok too, but sand it down to fresh solid metal first and make sure you clean it real well to remove any salt that may be whats causing it in the first place

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks, but in case I sand it...

Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    thats possitively corrosion, see about the warranty, but it looks like damage not defect
    you can sand it down to clean solid metal, prime and repaint as long as it hasn't eaten into the frame very much you should be all set. the vinal patch would be ok too, but sand it down to fresh solid metal first and make sure you clean it real well to remove any salt that may be whats causing it in the first place

what kind of paint should I use. I`m not living in the US; so ordering some touch up paints from Specialized is not an option.
    Should I paint it first with one kind of "base" paint, and then with the dream silver color paint?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Send it to Specialized and see what they will do. It looks pretty bad and Im willing to bet the aluminum has been penetrated so it is weaker there. Specialized wil either replace it or repaint it.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fran
    what kind of paint should I use. I`m not living in the US; so ordering some touch up paints from Specialized is not an option.
    Should I paint it first with one kind of "base" paint, and then with the dream silver color paint?

Thanks!
    you will need a aluminum primer for the first ct, any auto body supply store will have what you need and most likely will have a close match for the top coats. The older Landrovers have aluminum bodys so anything compatible will work

Cycle Solutions
    I wouldnt paint it...........that absolutely 100% voids any sort of warranty on the frame. Meaning if the frame does fail not as the result of any damage you will be SOL. I would try and warranty it now anyways.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Did you got warranty? What has happened?
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ! what happened!

mtbr member
    What ever happened?

bump