Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Went tubeless on DT 420's

852 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  larlev 
#1 ·
Wow...that was easy. I thought it would be much harder to do. Stan's with Ardent and Larsen TT. Took about 30mins tops. Let's hope it's all that it is made out to be.

#7 ·
crimecrusher said:
Hey larlev,

Did you have to use a compressor or did you do it with your pump? I got an adapter the other day for my compressor to fill a presta valve ($10). I'm also not sure how often I need to put more stans in.
sorry don't mean to thread jack...

1) I used an air compressor.
2) I paid 99 cents at my LBS for the adaptor not 10 dollars (ouch if you did...don't loose it).
3) Fill in stans according to instructions which I believe is 2 ounces per 2.0 tire every 2-4 months or as needed. Again check instructions I am just recalling from memory.

There is a lot of info out there on this. There is a great youtube video that Stans made.

#8 ·
Crimecrusher....well that fits perfectly...LOL

We riding the trail here soon? As soon as its not so bone chilling cold. Did you buy something for the wife yet?

Yes, I used compressor. Bought the adapters off ebay for $4 a piece..got 2 of them. Both tires filled quick, no issues with bead at all. The Larsen had thousands of tiny holes in sidewall. I used 1.5 scoops on each tire...figure when I can't hear it in there anymore I'll add a scoop.

#9 ·
APO.Guy said:
i want that too..... (the tubeless). What are the benefits? What do I need?
Just get you a stans kit and compressor...don't forget presta adaptor for compressor. It really is super easy. Was kinda dreading the mess really, but it wasn't bad at all. The stuff cleans up easy enough with rag and water hose. The one thing that helped was when the tire was on and stans inside...I smacked the tire all the way around. This seated the bead and then pumped up instantly.

#10 ·
I'm about due to add some more stans to mine...may have to have you supervise it, since shop did mine.

We are planning to pull the camper to Warda this weekend to pre ride the trail for the 12 hour race Feb. 5th We are doing a 2 person coed. Got my eye on a medium S-works Safire for her...but nothing yet. BSS did a 3 hour full fit on her Stumpy and she said it's made a big differance. But we haven't ridden yet due to all the recent rain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.