mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Weird Chirping sound coming from my '11 hardrock disc?

Hello all, I just bought a brand new Hardrock disc from a local shop a few weeks ago. I've been dealing with a chirping sound after a week of owning it. I've taken it in a couple times and they said they have lubed pretty much every moving part on the bike but i'm still getting that sound. Anybody know what might be the problem? It sounds like it's coming from my front wheel. Any help is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    There may be a bird stuck in your spokes....did they lube that?

You need to be more descriptive regarding when the noise happens, and if any momma birds are flying around you while riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    so....the lbs mech. needs to lube the owners spokes or his bird??

seriously, more than likely, something is loose. either not tight or a crack that allows extra slop in the fit of bb,head,stem,crank arms

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post

You need to be more descriptive regarding when the noise happens, and if any momma birds are flying around you while riding.
    haha, It sure sounds like it! It happens when there is weight on the bike (me riding it, doesn't make noise when I'm beside it walking it back to the car in shame ) It makes the noise when i pedal and when i coast, and i notice it more when i'm going at faster speeds. Today after work i guess the best thing would be to make sure everything is nice and tight. I read other people had a similar problem and it turned out to be their bike seat/post was loose. Which makes sense, since it only happens when i'm on the bike.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Maybe brake rub?

Pale Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    Maybe brake rub?
    My thought as well. Take a look at the disc and see if it's out of true. The disc and pads could just be dirty also.
    With my goldfish shorts swimming around my toes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    +1 for brake rub.

mtbr member
    Are they Avid Elixirs, they are crap brakes.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Brake rub

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So a couple days ago i discovered it was the front rotor, rubbing on the actual caliper. Pulled off my wheel and saw that most of the paint on the inside was grinded off from the rotor. I have it at the lbs now since it's a new bike and under their free service plan. The guy at the bike shop said the fork can flex sometimes, Is this a normal thing, that would cause this? I'll post pics once I get it back tonight. They were doing a break adjustment and a couple other things as well.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gabeham206 View Post
    So a couple days ago i discovered it was the front rotor, rubbing on the actual caliper. Pulled off my wheel and saw that most of the paint on the inside was grinded off from the rotor. I have it at the lbs now since it's a new bike and under their free service plan. The guy at the bike shop said the fork can flex sometimes, Is this a normal thing, that would cause this? I'll post pics once I get it back tonight. They were doing a break adjustment and a couple other things as well.
    Nah, your LBS doesn't impress. Rotor rub is bad setup, and would take a competent mech 2 minutes to diagnose and fix. If the rotor is warped, then it won't setup properly and needs to be replaced. Ether way the LBS should have picked it up in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So i got my bike back last night and snapped this picture (can't post pics since i don't have enough posts) of where the rubbing is coming from. I took it for a test ride and it did make the chirping noise, but not as much, even after the lbs adjusted my brakes and all. So does this mean next step is to replace the rotor? or take it to a more competent bike shop and let them handle it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Here is the picture

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I can't imagine a rotor being that out of true to rub in that area. Try backing out the bottom bolt and apply a thin coating of grease to the threads. Also, put a dab between the caliper and the caliper mount. See if the chirping goes away.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    So i got my bike back last night and snapped this picture (can't post pics since i don't have enough posts) of where the rubbing is coming from. I took it for a test ride and it did make the chirping noise, but not as much, even after the lbs adjusted my brakes and all. So does this mean next step is to replace the rotor? or take it to a more competent bike shop and let them handle it?
    Front or back wheel? Lift each wheel an spin them and report.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi View Post
    Front or back wheel? Lift each wheel an spin them and report.
    It's the front wheel. Spun both of them and all the noise is coming from the front. Which is the one in the picture.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I still think a bird did it.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    It's the front wheel. Spun both of them and all the noise is coming from the front. Which is the one in the picture.
    What picture?

Lift the front wheel and view the rotor from in front as you spin the wheel. Does the rotor wobble as it turns? If so, you need a new rotor courtesy of the LBS. if not, then you need to realign the front calliper. Loosen it just enough for it to move. Apply the front brakes and tighten the bolts again, bottom first. Spin the wheel again. Sometimes you need to repeat the step u til perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi View Post
    What picture?
    13th post.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    my Spesh is competely quiet, don't hear a thing over my Pandora